Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The recent reviews mentioned that watching spacial videos with significant/jerky movement isn’t great (you get nausea), so recording while “being part of the action” may not always be a good idea.
Maybe haha but then you could just watch it on a 2D screen. Point just being a regular handheld camera wouldn’t even give you that option.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Having to strap a face-hugger to your head kinda works against the emotion part though. At least if we’re talking about good emotions. Also regarding the emotions of the people around you.
I think that’s an assumption. Certainly it will get in the way of some, certainly not for everyone.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Emotion. That seems to be the "Killer App" for Apple Vision Pro. Every reviewer that has tried this thing on has described their demo as a deeply emotional experience. From verklempt at the sight of loved ones in spatial video, to fear from charging rhinos and dinos, to joy from the overall immersion and level of realism, Apple seems to have developed a device that helps us FEEL things on a deeper level than any technology prior.

Will be interesting to see how the translates into sales.
From what I can see most of them fixate on how damn uncomfortable the thing is to wear for any length of time.

Reactions: arkitect

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
From what I can see most of them fixate on how damn uncomfortable the thing is to wear for any length of time.
That's because you've been fixating on any negativity you can latch on to around the Vision Pro across multiple threads. The overall message of the articles is that the headsets are heavy and the keyboard needs work, but overall its a great experience:

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I've used several different headsets, and they all give you all kinds of interesting emotions so this is the most cringe take I've heard yet from people who will do mental gymnastics to make this seem the next best thing. I love Apple stuff, the worst I have been about any of their products is cautious (in the case of Apple watch) but there are just too many things about this product that seem "off". A lot of it is not Apple's fault really as it will have a lot of the same similar problems that other headsets experience. But then there is also the fact that Apple has been very quiet about it, none of the major execs seem to be super enthused by it and not one of them has been seen wearing it.

Come to think of it the only people we have seen wearing it are actors and now journalists which maybe that should tip you off on how they feel about the project internally. Really what it boils down to is this is a hobby project for them in the same vein of AppleTV when it first released, but it cost so much time, effort, and investment that they can't just come out and say to people, "hey this new category we have here will sell the least out of any of our other major categories and don't expect that to change anytime soon if ever at all" Now I could be wrong there, if they form factor got down to say glasses form factor and cost about $1500 or so less this would be a massive change and something incredible. As far as I can tell so far it's a consuming device for shut-ins, and this is from a guy that has used 2-3 VR headsets all of which btw turned out to be incredibly social experiences in a living room, this just seems to encourage even more isolation.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Well, I think you may be in the minority on that one.
its just easier to type on the phone and do most other things.... and if I have to plug a keyboard into the damn iPad I might as well just use my Mac. at work my iPad is used as a second monitor and as a device to photograph things and then right the measurements of them onto the photos with the pencil....at home all I use it for is occasionally watching short shows a the kitchen table while I eat or for looking at recipes while I cook🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂ I lost all interest in mobile gaming years ago so I never do that. I am very interested in VR gaming however. once ya start that it's hard to look back

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
this is the most cringe take I've heard yet from people who will do mental gymnastics to make this seem the next best thing.
To be fair, I'm not suggestion Vision Pro is the next best thing... at least not in ver 1.0. But I AM keeping an open mind to the possibilities of what it could do. My "cringe take" is more observation than apologetic.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
That's because you've been fixating on any negativity you can latch on to around the Vision Pro across multiple threads. The overall message of the articles is that the headsets are heavy and the keyboard needs work, but overall its a great experience:

It's an iPad, for your face, that costs $3,500. I am not fixated on anything except harsh reality.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
From verklempt at the sight of loved ones in spatial video, to fear from charging rhinos and dinos, to joy from the overall immersion and level of realism,...
I don't see how this makes the Apple Vision different from all other already existing VR headsets.

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
I really think it'll be content consumption (streaming, concerts, sports) at the end of the day.

If they ever manage to make the Vision smaller and lighter, then I would say it could be the ultimate content consumption device.

You're basically watching content in pitch black darkness every time you put on. No matter how bright it is outside. So you can view the content exactly how it was intended. With no glare or limitations.

That means in any aspect ratio. In any format (2D, 3D, 180, 360). In any size.

of course it has way more potential than that (education and teaching, research, engineering, logistics etc) but for the average consumer they'll probably appreciate the content consumption the most.

but again, Apple needs to get the device smaller and lighter (and cheaper obviously). I see the Vision selling in the same range as the iPad in the future.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I'm sure I said this somewhere before. But this seems to be the thread for it.

The AVP killer app will be...

Live. Remote. Presence.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I really think it'll be content consumption (streaming, concerts, sports) at the end of the day.
Yup.

This is a content consumption device.
Same as the iPad.

That's where the money lies. It's all about the dopamine hits… ka-ching!

The content will be created on Macs and PCs.

All the people fantasising about being productive with this thing strapped to their sweaty heads are going to be disappointed.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
You don’t need VP to have experiences and emotions lol. In fact, if you think you do, something is not right. The real world can offer million times more experience and emotions. This is another tech garbage to fill the void.

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
Yup.

This is a content consumption device.
Same as the iPad.

That's where the money lies. It's all about the dopamine hits… ka-ching!

The content will be created on Macs and PCs.

All the people fantasising about being productive with this thing strapped to their sweaty heads are going to be disappointed.
Productivity is definitely possible too. But at least with content you're typically watching a movie or two, a few episodes etc. So shorter "burst sessions" are still comfortable relatively speaking.

But with productivity, I could spend an entire work day sitting at a computer. I don't know if I could do the same for a headset. Maybe doing a presentation, preparing for one, writing a shorter research paper (it'd be useful having windows of cited works around me for easy access) etc. could work.

Longer sessions? Idk.

If Apple can get the Vision much lighter and slimmer then it could be doable.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Emotion. That seems to be the "Killer App" for Apple Vision Pro. Every reviewer that has tried this thing on has described their demo as a deeply emotional experience. From verklempt at the sight of loved ones in spatial video, to fear from charging rhinos and dinos, to joy from the overall immersion and level of realism, Apple seems to have developed a device that helps us FEEL things on a deeper level than any technology prior.

Will be interesting to see how the translates into sales.
TBD

mry110

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2018
I was thinking about this last night. I have a cat which has easily become my favorite animal I have ever owned in my 46 years on this planet. To be able to have spatial videos of her to look at after she is gone, actually makes me tear up to think about as I am typing this.

• Love
Reactions: dante_mr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.