Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Living with a heart condition that is vulnerable to rapid heart rates, close monitoring is needed. Therefore, in addition to AW, I use a chest belt with a pulse sensor, which records rates continuously (as opposed to AW). As I found out, there is a substantial discrepancy between these readings. In situations when there is a sudden demand on the heart (e.g. beginning of training as seen in screenshots or rushing upstairs), AW records an overshooting of pulse rates when there is none in the chest belt recording. This is not just a one time occurrence, but continuously present and makes erratic AW pulse recordings. Easily, one is fooled into making inappropriate decisions if one doesn’t recognise this unfortunate shortcoming.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.PNG
    IMG_1205.PNG
    398.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1201.PNG
    IMG_1201.PNG
    89.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1204.PNG
    IMG_1204.PNG
    320.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Saturn007

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Yes, for optimal accuracy you definitely want to use a chest strap. A well fitting AW is one of the best wrist-based heart monitors, but a chest strap is better.

chanchowancho

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
Yes! I often do HIIT at home (both spin bike and calisthenics), and optical heart rate sensors are useless for targeted heart rate intervals - I notice a substantial lag when moving up or down, and as you mentioned, quite large spikes vs. instantaneous accurate measurement on my chest strap.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
MacKnut, much appreciate your post! I've noticed spikes sometimes in my Apple Watch heart rate when going upstairs or rushing into the bathroom (😁) — and was a tad concerned why my HR was suddenly jumping.

Likely algorithmic calculation errors or strange sensor reactions.

Last edited:

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
yes the AW needs to get a "lock" onto your heart rate, you can avoid that spike by not starting the workout until it's recording the "real" HR. IE at a start of a run I often see HR of 120+ if I wait a few mins it drops back to 60ish where I'd expect it, then I start the run.

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.