Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
UPDATE:

Yesterday i went to my genius appointment at the Apple Store Colón in Valencia (SPAIN).
I told my problem to the support employee and even before he saw my phone it started saying that they were not responsible for that because my phone was bought in Vodafone (despite i have 1year guarranty directly with apple no matter what).

When i showed him these three issues he denied them because in his opinion they were just normal and they were not going to give me a replacement because i would find failures in any device :mad:. Then, he asked the manager to come and join the discussion and from that moment both started telling nonsense arguments and treating me like i was crazy, blind or stupid.

- About the back damaged edge they claim it was normal and i can't be watching my phone in that close up level because all the iphone have these kind of problems (1st lie). They denied my pictures and my chat conversation with apple support in which another apple "advisor" admitted it wasn't normal. They said that this advisor couldn't know if my pictures were from my device.

- About the tiny chip they said that it could be because of transportation issues because my box have a little dent (and aparently this dent cause a damage in the steel bezel :eek:)

- And about the gap between the front bezel and the screen they said it was normal. According to them the gasket is behind the screen and there was no problem with water protection. Also told me that the phone is only water splash resistant not IP68 :D!!!! and i don't have to inmerse it in water.
I only want them to admit that my phone in those conditions were able to resist water and i encouraged them to bring me a glass of water and inmerse it in front of them. They refuse and claim that the warranty do not cover water damages (what i know for sure).

To sum up, they denied everything, treat me like i was crazy and refused to give me a replacement. I asked for a complaint form and came home (100km back) with my ****** iphone. End of the story.

-------------------------------Do not go to Apple Store Valencia-------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iphone Xs Gold 64gb, just out of the box with these problems:

- A small chip in the frame at the bottom of the screen:
Kn7Vmdj.jpg

- A weird rough edge in one of the back corners.

DyuXEK1.png

Here you can compare this damaged edge to a normal one.

RRmfasp.jpg
4C1JfPy.jpg

mDYcNLN.jpg

- Gaps between the screen border and the steel frame.

ozpwM9P.jpg

Is that the famous premium quality Apple used to boast about??? It's unacceptable!!!

Now i have to go to an Apple Store, ask for a replacement and get a refurbrished phone (Yep, i'm not in the 14 days period cause i couldn't open the box before) just because of their ****** quality controls.

I've been waiting a week to get a genius appointment. A week without my >1k€ phone, because apple support suggests me not to activate or use it, in order to check it better (in the original conditions).

The other option is to keep it.
I'm going to use it with a case but i don't want future problems with water resistance and the possible lack of a proper sealing.

What would you do in my case??? Refurbrished ("as new") replacement or faulty original?
I'm gonna go crazy.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Keep on returning it 16 times if necessary if you're not happy with it. Their marketing ads (which are 3D animations by the way) make such a show about the beautiful design of the thing - only for you to find out its slapped together sloppy assembly.
Foxconn quality control is really going downhill. Workers must be fed up.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Keep on returning it 16 times if necessary if you're not happy with it. Their marketing ads (which are 3D animations by the way) make such a show about the beautiful design of the thing - only for you to find out its slapped together sloppy assembly.

There was a guy who returned 16 of them

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
If you aren’t happy get a replacement phone. The white box replacements are like new.
But not new, that's the key. It's a replacement phone with who knows how many used parts inside, a "N" serial number and different imei from my box. It would definitely depreciate the value of the phone in a future if i decide to sell it.

Yep, but... i can't be returning phones that easy because the nearest apple Store is 100km away.
About the quality control, what amazes me is noticing that a lot of people have the same issue with "chips" in exactly the same place, for example. It's a clear fault in the assembly process and a whole batch have it. That kind of things should not happen these days in a company like this.

xrussx

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Iphone Xs Gold 64gb, just out of the box with these problems:

- A small chip in the frame at the bottom of the screen:
Kn7Vmdj.jpg

- A weird rough edge in one of the back corners.

DyuXEK1.png

Here you can compare this damaged edge to a normal one.

RRmfasp.jpg
4C1JfPy.jpg

mDYcNLN.jpg

- Gaps between the screen border and the steel frame.

ozpwM9P.jpg

Is that the famous premium quality Apple used to boast about??? It's unacceptable!!!

Now i have to go to an Apple Store, ask for a replacement and get a refurbrished phone (Yep, i'm not in the 14 days period cause i couldn't open the box before) just because of their ****** quality controls.

I've been waiting a week to get a genius appointment. A week without my >1k€ phone, because apple support suggests me not to activate or use it, in order to check it better (in the original conditions).

The other option is to keep it.
I'm going to use it with a case but i don't want future problems with water resistance and the possible lack of a proper sealing.

What would you do in my case??? Refurbrished ("as new") replacement or faulty original?
I'm gonna go crazy.

How many days?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I would return and roll the dice on a replacement. And then I would try not to look so closely when you get it. I mean, these things are mass produced and there’s bound to be issues with a lot of them.

Give the new one a quick look over and then slap it in a nice case and a nice glass screen protector, start using it and don’t look back.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
The gap part is actually normal. I replaced 4 iPhone 10s last year because of this. And every one of the, was the same. Sent apple the same type pics with paper sticking in it and everything. My xs max is the same way. Fiancés x is the same and so is my friends x. Disappointing if you ask me, but apparently normal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There are actually multiple threads on the issues the OP mentioned, one on the rough edges around the stainless casing, where it meets the display and the other is on the Chipped stainless band near the charging port.

The chipped casing isn’t that much of an issue to me, even though it’s not acceptable. But the rough edges with the stainless steel bands is a poor manufacturing tendency. Either way, this phone deserves to be returned.

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
How many days?
Oct 23 the receipt, but i opened it around Nov 15 because it's a present.

I would return and roll the dice on a replacement. And then I would try not to look so closely when you get it. I mean, these things are mass produced and there’s bound to be issues with a lot of them.

Give the new one a quick look over and then slap it in a nice case and a nice glass screen protector, start using it and don’t look back.
If i change it is to make sure the replacement has no damages.
I know they are mass produced but apple should assure a manufacturing quality appropiate to their high prices.

The gap part is actually normal. I replaced 4 iPhone 10s last year because of this. And every one of the, was the same. Sent apple the same type pics with paper sticking in it and everything. My xs max is the same way. Fiancés x is the same and so is my friends x. Disappointing if you ask me, but apparently normal.

Are you sure is normal??? In other "rough edges" threads i've seen people getting replacements for the very same issue.
It seems to happen specially in Xs max.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oct 23 the receipt, but i opened it around Nov 15 because it's a present..

You are officially out of your two week return period. Regardless if you opened it on the 15th. But what I would do, is opt for a ‘Express white box replacement’, it’s essentially like a new phone with the new display, battery and it should look new, but it may have been used before.

Are you sure is normal??? In other "rough edges" threads i've seen people getting replacements for the very same issue.It seems to happen specially in Xs max.

The gap is not normal. The problem with the gap, is that it can compromise the water resistance with the unevenness with the display meeting the casing. I would not accept that and my iPhone Max does not have any type of gaps surrounding the casing at all, so in fact, it is not normal and I believe Apple would agree that is not how they intended it to be manufactured with a gap.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Are you sure is normal??? In other "rough edges" threads i've seen people getting replacements for the very same issue.
It seems to happen specially in Xs max.

As far as Apple is concerned, the gap between the screen and the stainless steel frame is normal. That’s what they told me at least, and that’s what has been shown to me, between the 9 different iPhones (8 different X, and a xs max). And that’s what Apple theirselves tell me.

I don’t think it should be that way however. But when every phone I see that I can test has it...idk.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Raise a support case with Apple, ask it to be elevated if you con't get a replacement from the first line team. They should ask you to send the images to them and hopefully 2nd line will arrange a replacement.

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
As far as Apple is concerned, the gap between the screen and the stainless steel frame is normal. That’s what they told me at least, and that’s what has been shown to me, between the 9 different iPhones (8 different X, and a xs max). And that’s what Apple theirselves tell me.

I don’t think it should be that way however. But when every phone I see that I can test has it...idk.

Apple support told me it wasn't acceptable via chat, we'll see this afternoon in my genius appointment.
I agree there could be a small gap, but you know, between a tolerance. I do not consider normal a gap in wich you can introduce a piece of paper easily, specially in a water and dust resistant >1k€ phone. o_O

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Apple support told me it wasn't acceptable via chat, we'll see this afternoon in my genius appointment.
I agree there could be a small gap, but you know, between a tolerance. I do not consider normal a gap in wich you can introduce a piece of paper easily, specially in a water and dust resistant >1k€ phone. o_O

I couldn’t agree with you more.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Have a look at teardowns of these phones. The display is a complete piece that sits inside the metal frame and is the main section of the phone that comes off when you open the device. The gap around the display is absolutely normal and the adhesive seal runs underneath the edges of the display, not around the outside. The tiny gap is absolutely not an indication of an improper seal and does not influence water resistance in the slightest.

If any edges have larger gaps than the others, it's simply because the display wasn't perfectly aligned in the middle. It's very rare for there to be absolutely perfect alignment, to be honest.

I've opened countless iPhones as part of my line of work. The gap is nothing to worry about and should be expected of all modern iPhones to varying degrees (I'm talking iPhone 5 and newer, since that was the first model to introduce the removable display assembly).

I know this sort of thing can be difficult to stomach given the price tags, but my honest advice is to stop obsessing about the display gaps (and the gaps around the rear glass). They are to be expected, every unit has them to some amount, and they don't indicate a poor seal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So Apple should replace his phone with a brand new one after the 14day return period?

Yes, they should

Incorrect. Apple is not obligated to replace an iPhone with the new unit after the 14th day. They can issue a warranty device, which essentially is like a new device that is completely inspected and most customers have no idea the difference between that and a refurbished device. As a matter fact, it’s *less* likely that Apple refurbished devices would have any issues considering a new device that has not been as heavily inspected and tested as a replacement device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.