Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
should we expect to receive defective items from Apple?

Expect? No. No one ‘Expects’ to receive a defective device from Apple. However, It happens _every_ single_ day though across the world. It’s the nature of tech products. Apple manufactures millions of iPhones, more specifically, 600,000 iPhones on a weekly basis, and do you think every one of those phones are perfect? They are not. That’s why there are warranty devices in place if something happens, Apple will make it right with the replacement device. No tech that is manufactured on a mass level will ever be considered to be perfect without defects.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Why does the original poster just take the phone back to Vodafone? My first XS had a manufacturing defect in the screen and I simply went back to the T-Mobile store I bought it in and they replaced the phone with no questions asked.

Reactions: chabig and AppleWes

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Why does the original poster just take the phone back to Vodafone? My first XS had a manufacturing defect in the screen and I simply went back to the T-Mobile store I bought it in and they replaced the phone with no questions asked.

The phone was a present. My name is not in the receipt and vodafone told me i had to go to the store where it was bought (In this case on the other side of my country).
That's what i went to the apple store, where i have 1 year warranty by law, specially with a manufacturing defect.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
What would you do in my case??? Refurbrished ("as new") replacement or faulty original?
I'm gonna go crazy.

If I were in your position, I would probably opt for refurbished.

1. XS was launch less than 2 months ago. So even if they do use parts salvage for return phones, it’s not like 2 year old parts.
2. I am under the impression that they test and certify refurbish units before releasing them.

I feel for you and can understand how frustrating it is to receive a cosmetically defective product especially when it cost so much. Unfortunately that’s how it is and taking a replacement (hopefully defect free) seems to me the better choice given the options that you have available to you.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I understand it’s clearly shown in the warranty, I still think it’s wrong.
[doublepost=1542749839][/doublepost]

It’s apples fault he has a defective device.
That he had to look at under a microscope. These are cosmetic at best I imagine Apple will say. and not affecting the operation of the unit. That gap with the paper sticking out is pretty universal as the glue is under the glass screen not around the edges of the steel frame. If you really are not happy contact executive customer relations. However never expect any new device to be perfect, and always inspect it as soon as you get it to be safe and within the limits imposed by any return period in your country. I can see your point of view, but personally I would have looked at the phone there and then myself.

That goes for any product purchased not just tech gear. Also I can see the shops point of view even if they were overtly rude, if you looked at a brand new Aston Martin that closely you would find issues at some point, you have to realise price guarantees nothing and mass production means issues like you found. Apple is just a brand with more expectation than it deserves in my view, yes stuff costs a lot from them, to much I think but that's not for this discussion. Price does not ever guarantee perfection and these are mass produced phones they are not bespoke one off pieces of art. You have to see both sides here. Just take the white box unit and stop looking for issues, its a tool not a heirloom. Sorry if that comes over hash its not meant to be, just realistic from my perspective, and at some point in a few years it will be replaced anyway.

Reactions: chabig

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
That he had to look at under a microscope. These are cosmetic at best I imagine Apple will say. and not affecting the operation of the unit. That gap with the paper sticking out is pretty universal as the glue is under the glass screen not around the edges of the steel frame. If you really are not happy contact executive customer relations. However never expect any new device to be perfect, and always inspect it as soon as you get it to be safe and within the limits imposed by any return period in your country. I can see your point of view, but personally I would have looked at the phone there and then myself.

That goes for any product purchased not just tech gear. Also I can see the shops point of view even if they were overtly rude, if you looked at a brand new Aston Martin that closely you would find issues at some point, you have to realise price guarantees nothing and mass production means issues like you found. Apple is just a brand with more expectation than it deserves in my view, yes stuff costs a lot from them, to much I think but that's not for this discussion. Price does not ever guarantee perfection and these are mass produced phones they are not bespoke one off pieces of art. You have to see both sides here. Just take the white box unit and stop looking for issues, its a tool not a heirloom. Sorry if that comes over hash its not meant to be, just realistic from my perspective, and at some point in a few years it will be replaced anyway.

If you buy an iPhone from Apple you expect it to be new condition, meaning no damage

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
And how do we know this? Over the years on multiple occasions I have been told by Apple employees the replacement phone I was given was new.

Now for some reason on this forum everyone want to keep giving me their opinion on the matter and tell me I am wrong. When I ask for confirmation or an explanation, the answer everyone keeps giving me is "Because everyone knows this". Then I ask "How do we know the units are refurbished", and the answer given is "Because they are, but some could be new, but they are most likely not".... But you wouldn't be able to tell.

If feel like a little kid in the twilight zone having to keep asking why.

You can check the model number.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...hone-replacement-is-brand-new-or-not.1922829/

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
If you buy an iPhone from Apple you expect it to be new condition, meaning no damage
If you want to buy things that are mass produced expect some not to be in pristine condition otherwise make it yourself. There is no such thing as 100% perfectly manufactured product. It doesn’t exist no matter how much you want it.

Reactions: chabig

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
No I don't, I know damn well that brand new things can and do have issues, it does not mean either that magically the potential for issues is waved as a right of passage because you purchased it from Apple. Its a mass produced piece of electronic's. You open the box and check it first. Then if needed for some reason put it away. Assuming that Apple has perfect quality control is ridiculous. Apple products are just as likely to have issues as any other electronic device. You just check the device within the returns period, simple as that.

Last edited:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
one thing i dont like about the new xs models are the gaps between the screen and side/ back and side. It's not smooth like the iphone x. I find that rather odd as the design is pretty much identical. when you run your finger from back to side or screen to side theres a noticeable bump/hump between them.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
You have to stop looking at the phone so closely. I have an iPhone 8 sitting here with several imperfections. Like everything in life, you just overlook these and move on. So long as the phone is doing what you wanted it to, be happy.

Nothing is perfect, not even iPhones.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
one thing i dont like about the new xs models are the gaps between the screen and side/ back and side. It's not smooth like the iphone x. I find that rather odd as the design is pretty much identical. when you run your finger from back to side or screen to side theres a noticeable bump/hump between them.

The gaps seem somewhat variable between the casing and glass, the only concern I would have is if the water resistance would be compromised _if_ the gap was large enough.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
No I don't, I know damn well that brand new things can and do have issues, it does not mean either that magically the potential for issues is waved as a right of passage because you purchased it from Apple. Its a mass produced piece of electronic's. You open the box and check it first. Then if needed for some reason put it away. Assuming that Apple has perfect quality control is ridiculous. Apple products are just as likely to have issues as any other electronic device. You just check the device within the returns period, simple as that.

Well I do expect them to be in new condition, there is nothing in apples website which tells me otherwise.

Reactions: iSilas

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
they definitely should and most likely will. Apple does not want negative press and can avoid it simply giving the customer a new iPhone. Apple doesn't want images like the above to make rounds.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018

I think there needs to be a balance on the issue. You expect quality control when buying an item, but at the same time need to realize nothing is perfect. Seems reasonable.

But when applied to a real life scenario your anticipations can have unforeseen consequences.

I tend to believe that most Apple products will be in satisfactory condition when purchased and that even a large number of complaints or issues found on this forum are still a minority sampling of customers.

However; I am now hesitant to purchase a new phone because I wonder if I will receive a phone with problems. I have never doubted the quality of Apple products in the past, now I do... justified or not based mainly on the problems I read about here and elsewhere. Double edged sword.

On the other hand, the photos I see here on this thread are not a problem to me. I am not that picky or obsessed with a phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
they definitely should and most likely will. Apple does not want negative press and can avoid it simply giving the customer a new iPhone. Apple doesn't want images like the above to make rounds.

I don’t disagree, but Apple can’t please everyone, even if they stretch their exceptions to the rule beyond most other tech companies. In the customer service industry, no company will ever be perfect, that includes Apple, but we still have to consider they have the best hardware and software integration in the smart phone market, which is dominant across the board.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
UPDATE:

Yesterday i went to my genius appointment at the Apple Store Colón in Valencia (SPAIN).
I told my problem to the support employee and even before he saw my phone it started saying that they were not responsible for that because my phone was bought in Vodafone (despite i have 1year guarranty directly with apple no matter what).

When i showed him these three issues he denied them because in his opinion they were just normal and they were not going to give me a replacement because i would find failures in any device :mad:. Then, he asked the manager to come and join the discussion and from that moment both started telling nonsense arguments and treating me like i was crazy, blind or stupid.

- About the back damaged edge they claim it was normal and i can't be watching my phone in that close up level because all the iphone have these kind of problems (1st lie). They denied my pictures and my chat conversation with apple support in which another apple "advisor" admitted it wasn't normal. They said that this advisor couldn't know if my pictures were from my device.

- About the tiny chip they said that it could be because of transportation issues because my box have a little dent (and aparently this dent cause a damage in the steel bezel :eek:)

- And about the gap between the front bezel and the screen they said it was normal. According to them the gasket is behind the screen and there was no problem with water protection. Also told me that the phone is only water splash resistant not IP68 :D!!!! and i don't have to inmerse it in water.
I only want them to admit that my phone in those conditions were able to resist water and i encouraged them to bring me a glass of water and inmerse it in front of them. They refuse and claim that the warranty do not cover water damages (what i know for sure).

To sum up, they denied everything, treat me like i was crazy and refused to give me a replacement. I asked for a complaint form and came home (100km back) with my ****** iphone. End of the story.

-------------------------------Do not go to Apple Store Valencia-------------------------------
Can you call apple and organize a return or exhange with them? Just quote your reference when talking to the advisor at apple, and they could look up your details. They might be able to help you somehow, it’s much more convenient to have Apple come to you!

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
WE seem to be going in circles. Nobody expects a dud, but Apple is not better than anoyone else as far as build quality in new items, how many iPhones are made? Millions and there will always be a percentage that has something wrong with it, all new electronic components can fail, which is why if testing you don't rule out the brand new parts. Saying "If you buy an iPhone from Apple you expect it to be new condition, meaning no damage" is meaningless.

Apples QA is meant to capture bad phones but some will get though and some may fail in the first few weeks of use possibly. To be fair I don't think Apple stick bits of paper around the edges and use magnifying devices on each device during QA, also if there was glue in there how would the screen come out? I would imagine the glue is under the screen not around its edges and there has to be a gap to get the screen out from the stainless steel antenna band as well, I would have thought.

I think this thread is more and more like a fairy tale, if I can see proof of 16 exchanges I may believe it, right now this whole thing feels like clickbait and trolling. This merry-go-round is getting a bit repetitive and I think its got a squeak and the paint may have a bit of dust in it, so I'm out of here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.