Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Tamrac backpack computer pouch is too small.

I guess I'll have to look for a shoulder or rolling bag.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I wonder if the Crumpler Daily XXL is airline carry-on compatible.
It also says the computer pouch is for computers up to 4cm thick. Do you think a 43mm thick computer will fit?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The Daily XXL is too thick for British Airways and Lufthansa (20cm limit?? Come on!)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What laptop do you have? What dimensions? It seems silly for us to guess what you need when some of us are actually checking out websites for you. You were talking about laptop compartments being too small, and I had assumed you owned an Apple 17" PB or MBP this entire time.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Tamrac backpack computer pouch is too small.

I guess I'll have to look for a shoulder or rolling bag.

Are you speaking specifically about the Adventure 9? I have a 17" MBP and it fits in there just fine :) And for camera gear... I put my 70-200mm f/2.8, 17-55 f/2.8 attatched to my D80 and the 12-24 f/4 with a little bit of room to spare. As I said before, its not for everyone, but transporting a bit of photography gear, its not half bad at all. Other poster was right in that it doesn't have a built in way to carry a tripod though.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I was waiting for the new Macbooks, but between combo drive upsale, AppleCare, extra RAM, modem, got sticker shock.
I can get better specs for much less. Now that Macs are just greately outsourced PCs, I don't believe much in a hardware quality advantage. The best value seems to be the Acer 7520G. Not easy to choose PC laptops.

Never impressed by the lack of discrete graphics, ExpressCard, and FW800 of the MB. MBP's price is just mindboggling.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'm loving this bag! :D Naneu Pro Alpha Military Ops Camera Bag

mo-a-pic4.jpg

mo-a-pic11.jpg

mo-a-pic6.jpg

mo-a-pic10.jpg

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I highly recommend KATA backpacks.
http://www.kata-bags.com/category.asp?id=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4
Tough, durable and excellent protection (they make bulletproof vests) and are used by pros. I have the R-103, by moving a few pads around I can open-up room for a sweater or other goodies. It also comes with a rain cover which is a must!

If you need total waterproof protection, if there's a risk of water (sailing, canoeing, etc) I would go with the Lowepro DryZone packs. The KATA would work too, but you would have to get individual dry-bags for your camera and lenses. If it's a high risk of water, dust-sand or rough terrain, use a Pelican case for transport.

If this is for traveling, keep in mind if the backpack looks like a camera/laptop bag, you could be a more likely target for thieves. If you're concerned about this security, I suggest using a plain looking backpack, even old, with fitted camera & laptop cases inside.

TTE :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.