Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minerbot360

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2021
I haven't watched the full event yet, but saw the announcement of a new pencil and got very excited. I have a M2 iPad Pro which I absolutely love for taking notes and viewing music. I would have 100% purchased the new apple pencil if it was compatible with my iPad, but then I found out it isn't? Is there some legitimate reason they couldn't make it backwards compatible, or is this just apple being apple? Seeing that both models support hover and the new iPad Air with M2 supports it, I just don't see why the previous generation iPad Pros can't.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Charging - the new Pros and Air have a landscape front camera which would have necessitated a change to the magnetic charging method which the new Apple Pencil is designed around. If it wasn't for that I'm sure Apple would happily sell it to folks with older iPads.

hektor6tygr

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
My guess is that we're in a transition period. The cameras are all going to move to landscape orientation, and that required a new pencil. It might look confusing now because we still have iPads with the older camera setup and Apple has to cater to those customers by selling the older pencils.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
This is ridiculous. I usually take my iPad Pro and Mini to work. I tend to use the Mini like a big phone and for taking notes. While the Pro is for sketching and marking up PDF drawings. Now I have to take two pencils!! And keep track of which is which (I know it’s written on there).

Even if I can’t charge the new Pencil Pro on the Mini I wish I could pair it and use it to write on the Mini.

Stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.