Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
This seems like a huge decrease in battery health. Cycle count is 39.

Coconut battery report below:

1621518806804.png

Computer has been in daily use for six months and is usually always plugged in.

5piN

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010

Computer has been in daily use for six months and is usually always plugged in.

Doesn't look right, coincidentally I'm at exactly the same cycle count! Your temp is rather high!! I try and not use the laptop when plugged in.

I usually charge to about 90% then unplug and use until it gets to about 10/15%.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 12.16.30 am.png

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

View attachment 1777740

Computer has been in daily use for six months and is usually always plugged in

Have you seen This thread? Despite what I said there yours doesn't look good. Have you monitored over a period like my graph there? It can go up as mine did. Try exercising the battery a bit.

Do you have Optimised charging turned on in Battery Pref pane? Have you ever seen it hold max charge at 80% as it is supposed to and does for some people?

Because Optimised Charging wasn't working for me I switched to Al Dente in mid Feb.

Reactions: Queen6

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
You're at 88% capacity. Close to dropping below 80% when you can get it replaced under warranty.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/
I think Apple will only do that when the Apple health number in the battery pref pane drops below 80%. The OP didn't say what that number was on their machine.
the Ioreg number used by Coconut and other third party utilities goes up and down which is why Apple shows an averaged-in-some-way value.
My M1 MBA (new in Nov) has been down to 94% and currently recovered to 97%, but the Apple number has been 100% the whole time.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I think Apple will only do that when the Apple health number in the battery pref pane drops below 80%. The OP didn't say what that number was on their machine.
the Ioreg number used by Coconut and other third party utilities goes up and down which is why Apple shows an averaged-in-some-way value.
My M1 MBA (new in Nov) has been down to 94% and currently recovered to 97%, but the Apple number has been 100% the whole time.
Apple Battery Preference Pane shows 94%. Going to check it every month before my warranty is up in November.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Apple Battery Preference Pane shows 94%. Going to check it every month before my warranty is up in November.

The best thing to do is have Apple check the battery. That way you know for sure what the percentage and can compare that to the terminal command.
I agree. The battery is supposed to last 1000 cycles to about 80% of the original charge capacity but you are down 6% after a cycle count of 39 so something seems out of whack. And that 6% is Apple’s ultra-conservative number not the real 12% value. I’d have your battery checked. It could be defective.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
OP here... just one week later and I'm down to 85.8% according to Coconut Battery. And to 93% (from 94%) according to Apple Battery Health.

1621959277298.png

• Wow
Reactions: 5piN

willmok

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Similar situation here.
My M1 MacBook Air's battery health is down to 87.8% (MacOS number 91%) after 66 cycles. Bought it this Jan.
And I'd have it checked at genius bar. They did the Apple Diagnostic and returned all green, but the genius admitted that was unusual and agreed to had the battery replaced, free of charge. Hope it'll help.

Reactions: jdb8167

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Where do you see the Apple health number ?
When I look at the Battery system preferences panel, the only thing that I see is the charge level (current and last charge). I was thinking users cannot see the Apple health number at all (and need to have Apple look it up if they want to know... the Apple way of things).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Folks, don’t forget that battery degradation is non-linear. It can drop to 90% design capacity in two months and then stay there for 2 years. Batteries are fairly individual. Still, it’s always a good idea to do a check with Apple if you think something is off, there is a good chance you’ll get a new battery for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaboid01

willmok

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
When I look at the Battery system preferences panel, the only thing that I see is the charge level (current and last charge). I was thinking users cannot see the Apple health number at all (and need to have Apple look it up if they want to know... the Apple way of things).
Coconut battery or newer Macbooks (after 2018) with Big Sur.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Coconut battery or newer Macbooks (after 2018) with Big Sur.
As said above, it seems Coconut battery is giving a different number. I am aware of it and using it, but just curious whether there exists a "more exact" source.
I tried with a 2020 Macbook and the System preferences do not show any health number.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Two places:

1. System prefs > Battery:

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 13.34.33.png

2. About this Mac > System Report > System Information > Power:

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 13.32.36.png

As said earlier, Coconut and other third party apps use the ioreg number which fluctuates daily and the reason why Apple gives us a averaged/damped number. I use Better Battery 2 rather than Coconut. This is showing my Battery Health as 96%.
Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 13.43.49.png

To show how much the ioreg/Coconut/Better Battery2 number can fluctuate, and that health can go up as well as down, here is my max capacity plot since February. (this is from my other Mac not the one above)

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 13.49.14.png

Last edited:

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for the very clear explanation, with the screenshots that help a lot!

I just tried on two laptops on the last OS version, but neither of them shows this "Maximum capacity" number.
These two are a 15" MBP of 2017 and a 16" MBP of 2020, so, while the former is probably just too old, I am surprised why the latter does not show this information.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Thanks for the very clear explanation, with the screenshots that help a lot!

I just tried on two laptops on the last OS version, but neither of them shows this "Maximum capacity" number.
These two are a 15" MBP of 2017 and a 16" MBP of 2020, so, while the former is probably just too old, I am surprised why the latter does not show this information.

My Screenshots are from a 2020 M1 MBA.....it is possible they aren't shown on Intel Macs, I don't have an Intel Mac to check.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Folks, don’t forget that battery degradation is non-linear. It can drop to 90% design capacity in two months and then stay there for 2 years. Batteries are fairly individual. Still, it’s always a good idea to do a check with Apple if you think something is off, there is a good chance you’ll get a new battery for free.

This. Also, it's based on the battery being properly calibrated. Back when I used to concern myself with such things, I remember seeing the figure jump around and often improve after doing a full cycle (down to 1%). If the OP isn't discharging the battery very much, the chances are the calibration is off. These days I don't look unless I'm experiencing a particular problem.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
This. Also, it's based on the battery being properly calibrated. Back when I used to concern myself with such things, I remember seeing the figure jump around and often improve after doing a full cycle (down to 1%). If the OP isn't discharging the battery very much, the chances are the calibration is off. These days I don't look unless I'm experiencing a particular problem.
I suspect now more and more that this is the situation that I am facing.

dhuang

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
M1 MacBook Pro (built 1/18/2021) with 43 cycles

Currently
:
Coconut Battery reports 88% Health
Apple (via Battery Preferences) reports Maximum Capacity: 93%

I routinely exercise the battery and now started using Al Dente with a charge limit of 60 - 80% earlier this month.

For the first three months, battery health (according to Coconut Battery) was great:

Month 1: 100%
Month 2: 99%
Month 3: 98%
Month 4: 93%
Month 5: 90%
Month 6: 89%
Month 7: 88%

Very surprised that battery health on my M1 dived so quickly. Never had this issue so soon with my Intel Macs. Funny enough my 31 month old iPhone XR also has 88% health @ 716 cycles.

MOM20xx

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2021
I suspect now more and more that this is the situation that I am facing.
calibration is an issue. i did this 2 todays ago and the capacity goes down from 91% to 88%.

when i got the macbook in january i was starting with 102% and lost continiously capacity. I don't use altente only the optizimed loading option, which in my opinion is the main issue for loosing design capacity. the battery gets always uncharged to arround 90-95% on power cable and then i will be fully loaded. I'm not sure if this should bei the algorithm of optimized loading. there might be somthing wrong with this option on macbooks m1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.