Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

new-2-apple-world

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Hi All!
I am new to the "i" world. So I bought my first ever iPhone, which is iPhone 13 Max Pro. After receiving the phone and doing the initial update, the battery life has been just amazing. I was stupid enough to update to 15.0.1, and now I see a steady decline in the battery even if the iPhone is not used. Does anybody else experience the same?

Thank you,

Reactions: !!! and Global baba

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Hi
It could be due to constant localisation usage, since iOS 15.0.1 "Find my iPhone" is using localisation all the time.

Reactions: BrightCanon

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I think it's a bug related only to 15.0.1 release.

I had similar problem with constant usage by "Find My" on one of 14.x.x releases which disappeared in later version.

new-2-apple-world

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
I think it's a bug related only to 15.0.1 release.

I had similar problem with constant usage by "Find My" on one of 14.x.x releases which disappeared in later version.
This is interesting because I do not see it in the battery usage calculations. Unless the battery usage is not taking this into calculations, somehow.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hi All!
I am new to the "i" world. So I bought my first ever iPhone, which is iPhone 13 Max Pro. After receiving the phone and doing the initial update, the battery life has been just amazing. I was stupid enough to update to 15.0.1, and now I see a steady decline in the battery even if the iPhone is not used. Does anybody else experience the same?

Thank you,
Have you tried a hard reset of the phone? Some process may be stuck in a loop. You can also check your analytics log: Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data.

Reactions: papbot

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
This is interesting because I do not see it in the battery usage calculations. Unless the battery usage is not taking this into calculations, somehow.
Right. I'm not sure if service like "Find My" would be visible thru battery monitor...
Anyway, I observed faster battery discharge at 15.0.1 and I associated it with localisation icon in status bar visible all the time.

new-2-apple-world

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Thank you very much for your reply. I was looking online, and seems like I am the only person who experience this issue, no other reports. As a new iPhone user, some things are still not very clear :)

Appreciate your input, and will be waiting for the update which possibly will fix it.

new-2-apple-world

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Have you tried a hard reset of the phone? Some process may be stuck in a loop. You can also check your analytics log: Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data.
no, I didn't try to hard reset the phone, but I did a soft reset, which should potentially restart all the processes. Hard reset is a real pain, it takes a long time to set up everything back as I lime. Also all the MFA devices will be lost, which is a separate issue.

I checked the Analytic Data, and there is a lot of logs. Not sure which should be checked though.

idrisinan

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
When I leave to sleep , phone battery %100 and morning battery is % 96

There was no problem on iOS 14.8

Same battery. Health %95

Global baba

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
Hi All!

Thank you,
Same with my new ipad pro...battery life was great on ipad os 15 but after upgrading to 15.0.1 it's been declining faster than before. Sad

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Having a problem with my battery life also. Draining like 10% an hour without me doing anything on the phone - 12Pro with 89% battery health.

@smoking monkey - how do you read the Analytics report? What am I looking for in there?

Global baba

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
Having a problem with my battery life also. Draining like 10% an hour without me doing anything on the phone - 12Pro with 89% battery health.

@smoking monkey - how do you read the Analytics report? What am I looking for in there?
I think I solved the issue on my iPad. I just toggled the find my device off and then on again. Battery is back to great. Will update if it again starts draining quickly.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I think I solved the issue on my iPad. I just toggled the find my device off and then on again. Battery is back to great. Will update if it again starts draining quickly.
Ok I'm giving it a shot now. Let's see what happens.
Was having problems since iOS15 came out. Tried everything, finally thought I got it to a good place on Thursday. Since Friday though, not sure if 15.0.1 has anything to do with it or not, battery life is crap again. But it's not completely consistent, sometime it's terrible, other times it's "kind of" ok.
Had Apple Support run a remote diagnostic just a bit ago, they said everything is fine and scheduled me to come in to the store to run more diagnostics tomorrow. Clearly a waste of time, but anything is better than wiping the phone and setting up as new which is what I'm desperately trying to avoid doing.

Reactions: new-2-apple-world

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My iPhone X has been draining more quickly on 15.0.1 than the previous version too. I think find my has something to do with it but who knows. Battery stats show nothing abnormal

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Let us know the result of your experiment.

Thank you!
Ok so I've toggled Find My iPhone on and off. Over the last almost two hours, I'm basically losing about 5% per hour with effectively no phone use. Like I might have sent a text message, and I've gotten a handful of notifications, that's it. This is with the battery currently charged to 50-60%. I'm at home, full cell and wifi signal.
Anyone think this is ok?

new-2-apple-world

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Ok so I've toggled Find My iPhone on and off. Over the last almost two hours, I'm basically losing about 5% per hour with effectively no phone use. Like I might have sent a text message, and I've gotten a handful of notifications, that's it. This is with the battery currently charged to 50-60%. I'm at home, full cell and wifi signal.
Anyone think this is ok?
I don't :)
That was not the case for me on 15.0. The battery life was crazy. I think Apple definitely ****up something in this release. I guess will need to wait for a fix, cause they probably will not admit the issue. At least this is how it was with Google :), users find the issue with the new release, and Google denies it, then fix it in the next release. I don't see why Apple would be any different

windlove

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
I experienced the same on the day after upgrade to 15.0.1. 40% when I went to sleep, and 9% remaining when checking the phone in the morning. There was nothing logged in the battery usage. You can see the battery was keep dropping after 3am without any use.

IMG_2322.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyyai and !!!

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I don't :)
That was not the case for me on 15.0. The battery life was crazy. I think Apple definitely ****up something in this release. I guess will need to wait for a fix, cause they probably will not admit the issue. At least this is how it was with Google :), users find the issue with the new release, and Google denies it, then fix it in the next release. I don't see why Apple would be any different
Hey at least Google fixes the issues, and I bet you they fix them relatively quickly, and not 3 or 6 months later like Apple, or more like 2 years later like really Apple.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I've been keeping track all day. The last 4 hours exactly, I've dropped 25% (60 to 35%). I've practically not touched the phone. A total of 10 min of phone calls. A few texts. And that's literally it. I've been getting news and a few other notifications, but it's not like they're lighting up the screen every minute. Otherwise the phone is sitting here on my desk. According to the Battery screen, that's 59 min of screen time and 8 min of screen off time. So that's more than 6% of battery lost per hours, which btw, is better than what I was seeing last night when it was dropping even faster than that while I tried to watch a movie. Great job Apple!

Reactions: !!!

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
Do you have a lot of data on you phone? Sometimes indexing and spotlight as well as initial self optimization take a toll on the battery. But it could also be a rouge app. Restart the phone, look into battery usage to find out what is consuming all the battery. Some apps are still not optimized for iOS15. Battery usage should tell you.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Do you have a lot of data on you phone? Sometimes indexing and spotlight as well as initial self optimization take a toll on the battery. But it could also be a rouge app. Restart the phone, look into battery usage to find out what is consuming all the battery. Some apps are still not optimized for iOS15. Battery usage should tell you.
Yes, I've tried all that. None of the apps seem to be "running away" with battery life as per the Battery screen in settings, which I've basically been staring at regularly for the last few weeks.

Anyways, the last two days, the battery life seems to have settled down somewhat. Yesterday I was averaging about 4-5% drop per hour, again without doing too much on the phone. The active use is fine and as expected, it's the stand-by battery drain that I'm unhappy with. I just checked, and turned off (two days ago) the "Send Last Location" under "Find My iPhone". I am literally afraid to turn it back on for now, because the battery life has been more or less as expected over the last two days. I also did try toggling the whole Find My iPhone feature on and off.

Anyways, came back from the Apple store a few hours ago. I knew going in that it was a complete waste of time, but whatever, it's only about 10 min from me. The Genius ran diagnostic on my phone, and shocker, there's nothing wrong with it. His suggestions were: turn off background app refresh, turn on dark mode all the time -- umm, but, but, but shouldn't the ***** phone work right without that? Also these have always been on.
He also kind of commented that iOS15.1 should be out relatively soon. And then we discussed what dumpster fire iOS15 has been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.