Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
I don't have numbers but I've owned almost every laptop Apple had made.

The battery life on this 2017 15" MacBook Pro isn't great. I'd say on average I get between 5 and 6 hours for real use, but not using heavy Apps.

Sucks.

Reactions: ibtj

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
2017 tbMBP 8gb 512

Averaging 6-7 hours using it as a laptop (not plugged into stuff), infrequent video, mostly powerpoint, Evernote, safari, preview running, plus Dashlane and dropbox. Brightness usually 50% or less.

I love everything except the battery. I followed this thread for 8 months before buying and had convinced myself that it must be the people running peripherals, or editing video, or doing other large scale production work - but no. It's just a 6-7 hour battery.

So it goes.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My early 2015 rMBP 13” still gets around 8-9 hours of usage. I mostly just browse the web, watch videos, YouTube etc. I’m on High Sierra now. Battery life is actually pretty good. The main reason I’m not buying the 2016 tbMBP is because of subpar battery life.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
2017 tbMBP 8gb 512

Averaging 6-7 hours using it as a laptop (not plugged into stuff), infrequent video, mostly powerpoint, Evernote, safari, preview running, plus Dashlane and dropbox. Brightness usually 50% or less.

I love everything except the battery. I followed this thread for 8 months before buying and had convinced myself that it must be the people running peripherals, or editing video, or doing other large scale production work - but no. It's just a 6-7 hour battery.

So it goes.

I get about 8-9 hours doing much the same on my 2016 13" TB/i7 MBP. Brightness is always about 3/4 or higher. 10 hours would be better, but I've learned not to worry about it.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
I got a new MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with the 2,8GHz CPU.

Tested two times under the following conditions: Display brightness set to 70% (like Apple does for their testing), surfing the web, listening to some music. No apps with high power usage. 11.3 watts is used. I get a batterylife of 7:20hrs. Confirmed it twice now. Not exactly a good result.
Once I start doing anything beyong browsing, even without using the dedicated GPU, I get 4-5 hours.
What a joke.

The 3 year old MBP 13" with 80% health battery gets 7:30 hours under the exact same conditions (mirrored system). I dont wanna know what happens once the 15" is 3 years old, it will probably only get 4 hours by then.

So it is it then.

I get about 4hrs at most on my 2016 13'' nTB with doing normal stuff, web, twitter app open, occasional media/ YouTube.

That's a shame. But looking at the mAh, the 13'' versions have about 4500 mAh. That's like a phablet smartphone.

Why can't they pack at least double in a laptop even if it's this thin?

Really hope 2018 versions come with larger terraced batteries.

lkzal1898

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
Mid 2014 15" macbook pro retina

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 1145
Condition: Replace Soon

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6110
Original Capacity: 8440 mAh

72.4%

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
So it is it then.

I get about 4hrs at most on my 2016 13'' nTB with doing normal stuff, web, twitter app open, occasional media/ YouTube.

That's a shame. But looking at the mAh, the 13'' versions have about 4500 mAh. That's like a phablet smartphone.

Why can't they pack at least double in a laptop even if it's this thin?

Really hope 2018 versions come with larger terraced batteries.
It's a shame yes.
But as already said in dozens of threads a terraced battery only exists in the MB cos of it's wedge shape, won't work in the MBP.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
The best news is that High Sierra came alone with a much better suspend/hibernation profile and now I can safely put my MBP to sleep without worrying that the battery will be down by 10-20% in a couple of days.

Getting 1% loss overnight is much better than 5-10% I had with Sierra.

KeyLowNY

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2018
I have to conclude Apple lied about the battery life of the Touchbar MacBook Pros.

I have a late 2016 MBP. Sought help from Apple Support over short battery life at only 115 charge cycles out of 1000 claimed). I've spent hours on the phone with senior support, even sent the thing to Memphis for repair. They "couldn't duplicate the problem". They made me jump through many hoops until I ended up with a re-formatted drive and a virgin install of Sierra (my cad won't run on High Sierra but have not installed anything except the os yet).

To be fair to Apple I tried to duplicate the settings that Apple used to determine that “up to 10 hours” of runtime is marketable. Apple marketing footnotes say "The iTunes movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%."

I downloaded Blade Runner movie from iTunes.
Set screen brightness to “12 clicks up from dim”.
Quit everything.
Nothing attached to any port.
Battery fully charged. (123 charge cycles now after wasting a half dozen on duplicate tests)
Set screen to stay on (as in watching a movie).
Double clicked on the Blade Runner mp4.
Set sound level to medium.
Set QuickTime Player to full screen.
Checked in every two hours or so.

When the low battery warning indicator came on I launched Activity Monitor and did screen captures of all 5 panes.

Time on battery 5:13 with 10 minutes remaining.

This is a far cry from the advertised "up to 10 hours" but it seems to be typical from other user's reports.

I've been buying Apple computers since the Mac SE. You could fairly accuse Apple of over-optimism back then but I wouldn't have said they lied. Now I can honestly say they lied to us.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I'm getting around 8 hours with my 2017 13inch tb mbp and this is mostly safary, emails, notes, pages here and there youtube videos and iTunes. (The brightness is around 50% most of the time)

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
ive been getting anywhere from 3 hours when editing in FCPX to over 8 when on the internet. my brightness is around 50 percent most of the time and I have iTunes, Spark, Photos open at all times. I know this isn't the 20 that apple said but 8 is still damn good and I bet I could squeak 10 by closing other apps and so on.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Update on battery life on my 2016 13" TB MBP: it's shockingly bad now.

Yesterday I had a 100% charge before getting on a plane. After watching just 2 hours of video in iTunes I was down to ~15-20% charge.

I got home and charged overnight. This morning I have been using my computer for about 1.5 hours. I've been syncing/downloading some files from Dropbox, web browsing, email—and I'm down to 59%.

I wish I had just kept my 2013 Macbook Air. I was still getting about 10 hours of battery life on that after 3 years (I was getting >13 hours when I first bought it). I would gladly trade my retina screen, and the worthless Touch Bar, for that additional battery life.

I really hope the 2018 Macbook Pro addresses this.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
... shockingly bad... I wish I had just kept my 2013 Macbook Air. I was still getting about 10 hours of battery life on that after 3 years (I was getting >13 hours when I first bought it)...
given apple's slow design innovation a newer laptop may not be a big leap forward for you. Be careful and do the research. Just saying a medium increase in processing power can not offset the frustration of a bad keyboard, track pad, USBc connectors or flaky GPU...

there may be one model made a few years ago that will match your intended usage better than the newest design.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
given apple's slow design innovation a newer laptop may not be a big leap forward for you. Be careful and do the research. Just saying a medium increase in processing power can not offset the frustration of a bad keyboard, track pad, USBc connectors or flaky GPU...

there may be one model made a few years ago that will match your intended usage better than the newest design.

I've gotten over the keyboard (which I didn't like at first, and still don't prefer to the older style). No issues with trackpad or GPU, but now that you mention it, have had occasional problems with USB-c. The other issue that bugs me is that wifi is very slow to connect and flaky with any network other than my home one. If I'm at an airport or hotel it takes forever to join, and sometimes won't join at all. I haven't seen much discussion of this in general, so maybe it's my machine.

I did hear that the next MBPs might have a processor that is significantly more power efficient, so I'm hoping that translates into better battery life. I think the TB is useless, but I do love Touch ID. I use 1Password and have a very long master password that is a pain to type out all the time. So if they could improve battery life by a couple of hours (maybe this is a pipe dream) I'd probably stick with the MBP.

If not, I may just buy a Macbook Air this next time and live without Touch ID and retina. I don't really need the full power of a MBP because my main computer is an iMac 5k.

But uh oh, just realized I'm now using my MBP to drive a 5k LG display in my WeWork office. I guess that means I'm stuck with a MBP? Or can I use a Thunderbolt dock from OWC to drive the display? Anyone know?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I got my MacBook Pro 13' TB 2017 last week Thursday night so I haven't had a lot of time with it. But I do know taking notes in class for 1.5 hours results in 80% of the battery being left after a full charge (so 20% usage). Mind you, this is pretty light usage.

I'm less than impressed with this battery because my MacBook Air 11' got 12 hours easily with the same usage (I know it's a different computer) - but like others said in the thread, Apple usually under-estimates battery life.

Wifi has been horrible on my MBP 13' as well as my wife's MBP 13' (same model).

This MBP 13' TB 2017 does charge REALLY fast and I now have a ton of USB C chargers everywhere finally.

Also, if coconutBattery is more accurate - Apple's battery management system WAY overestimates this battery - sometimes a 6-8% difference. I haven't done any deep discharges yet but if my 1.5 hours of usage is estimated out - I'd see 7.5 hours of battery with light to medium usage.

That said, even with a 4 hour class, I never got close to using any of my battery life, so I can live with it. Fun watching this thing supercharge with the 87w Apple charging brick. :)

Gggcoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
Same. I watched some youtube, and two Hulu shows ( 30 minutes a piece ). sometimes when you just assume, you think things are going better than they are. This time.. I ran my phones stop watch the entire time the laptop was on. ALL I did was watch youtube / Hulu, and browsed amazon / purchased a few things. I got exactly 4 hours, and 41 minutes until the battery was dead enough to shut off.

Their is no indexing, their is no.. anything. screen brightness is at about 70%, and keys have no backlight. I don't think anyone can convince me that this thing isn't just flat out the worst battery life ever on a MacBook. I've been defending it like mad, but at this point... how can you? 4.42 hours is just bad. THat's almost as bad as the surface pro 4.. which is almost the entire reason I left that platform to begin with. The horrid battery life.
My 2019 Mackbook Pro (13 inches) only get about 60 to 90minutes on a charge

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I had a lot of issue with my 2016 with the OG battery. This past week I had the keyboard and therefor the battery replaced and so far ive been getting between 6-8 hours of general use whereas I used to get around 2 hours max. I’m wondering if a lot of the issues were due to a bad string of batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.