Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardigrado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Hi
I was asking apple service in Switzerland for a replacement of battery in my Macbook retina early 2016. They told me that because it is discontinued and they dont have original parts it is impossible to do a replacement. I was surfing looking for solutions and so far I found as a option a used grade A bottom case with battery only. Because I dont find this option useful I am asking for help... there is any option to find on the market a NEW bottom case with battery, I don't mind about a genuine part. Any help will be appreciate.
tardigrado

mt2017rmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2022
While it's difficult to replace the rMB battery it's not impossible. I did it with an eBay "new" battery (Coconut Battery says it's 2,766 days old haha) and it worked fine. I did all the battery conditioning steps etc., but the battery drops from 40% to 0% almost instantly. Still... I get 5-6 hours using a USB-C hub with ethernet, HDMI etc. so I'm not complaining for like $60.

FreedomStar

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Latvia
It's not discontinued. There are still parts available, they didn't want to deal with it. Next time visit AASP instead of Apple store. The battery comes with a bottom case and replacement costs about 230 Euros. Also if you are doing it by yourself, be careful when opening the device. You need a special stand or you can break the trackpad/logic board cables when opening the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.