Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
So... Apple has announced that they are increasing the price of battery replacements for the MacBooks by CAD$80 (I think it might also be USD$80 for our southern neighbours) in two months.

I have a 2017 here that I bought used last summer; battery was not replaced by the previous owner. And on the MB, the keyboard replacement (which he had done) doesn't mean a new battery, unlike on the MBPs. It's showing 84% health, 320 cycles. Was scared it was swelling but I took it to the Apple store and it wasn't. (I should note that I had a mid-2014 that I bought as an Apple refurb that had its battery swell twice - first after maybe 3.5 years, then the second time right before I traded it in on my 2021) Should I get that battery replaced before the price increase, or just keep waiting?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Have a 2015 and am currently out of the country. Apple said they don't have batteries anymore for it (not sure in the states)...

I got it refurb and the battery count is 204 and states "normal" in System info. Typing this thread on it now...

Did a Coconut battery check and it says 80% and battery was made in 2016. Still has a decent charge and lasts for a good number of hours (but not 9 hours as new), but knowing that once the battery is out, I am out-of-luck replacing it, I would consider paying the Apple price for replacement.

I took it into an Apple service center and they said that since the battery checked out fine and it is still considered good after running checks (even after seven years...) , they would not replace it at Apple prices, even if I wanted to pay for it or could get the battery. They said they would charge me an extra $100 on top of Apple's pricing....

Though many loved the small MacBook, it was not a big seller for Apple to have a lot of extra parts etc. You would be lucky if they have a battery for it still (and it is a difficult replacement (glued) , so Apple really does not also want to do it either).

If Apple has a battery for it or they can order it in your area, paying the price would be tempting for me. I would do it, but I can also get a battery for it at i-fix-it and take the risk and do it myself.

Zanc

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Before price hike took my MacBook Pro in for battery replacement. I was told the price would be that on the date the MacBook was returned, not the date I ordered repair and that would take up to 10 days taking beyond the date the price increase came into effect. Worst possible customer service I’ve ever come across.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Before price hike took my MacBook Pro in for battery replacement. I was told the price would be that on the date the MacBook was returned, not the date I ordered repair and that would take up to 10 days taking beyond the date the price increase came into effect. Worst possible customer service I’ve ever come across.
I am afraid that might be the situation. When I took mine in lat week they "quoted" me the price that was before the hike...but...I glanced at the iPad that had the information about my MacBook model and battery and it was priced at $80 more...

I took mine in 8 days ago and have not heard anything from Apple yet, so I would "think" they would send me a notice or an email that the price went up "first" before replacing the battery and would not do it first and then tell me, "oh..by the way, we are charging you $80 more for the work, here is the laptop."

But who knows...

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
im happy my MacBook Air 2010 can get a replacement battery ion 2023
which might seem like a smug comment, BUT
I have 5 watching on a MACBOOK 2015 on ebay today I might delete after reading these posts
Since I always wanted one but maybe this is not the headaches or fixing the MacBook battery!

BTW my macmini 2012 won turn on anymore., since 6PM tonite NYC time.....sads :~/

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
im happy my MacBook Air 2010 can get a replacement battery ion 2023
which might seem like a smug comment, BUT
I have 5 watching on a MACBOOK 2015 on ebay today I might delete after reading these posts
Since I always wanted one but maybe this is not the headaches or fixing the MacBook battery!

BTW my macmini 2012 won turn on anymore., since 6PM tonite NYC time.....sads :~/
I took my MacBook 2013 in for a battery replacement last year and the one who was helping me said, "Why?" - meaning the cost/worth of the laptop is close to the cost of the battery replacement.

The laptop was in excellent condition and was the i7, 8 GB RAM and 512GB SSD (original specs fully loaded model). I wanted the maxed out Air when I bought it back in 2012. It is considered one of the better MacBook Air's in it era (heard that Apple over spec'd that one like the 2012 mac mini with its 4 core when it came out). "If" I want to replace the SSD with a NVMe, i will see a speed increase, but the stock SSD is good enough.

Apple batteries replacements are good and I expect the battery to last the rest of its lifetime I use it. Worth it to me and the laptop runs now like when I first got it (not 10 hours like projected when it was new, but it is not running OS X Mountain Lion, but Big Sur).

I replaced other batteries with third-party options before...don't last and the hours usage is not the greatest.

With the new MacBook Pro's it is a different story...(after 2016). I am not sure what I am going to do when my MacBook Pro 2018's battery is done. I usually replace batteries myself, but these models are a challenge and don't really want to eventually do it. The cost at Apple is close to $800 due to everything glued, so this $5,000 laptop goes in to be sold as used (if anyone buys it) or scrap. What a waste. $5,000 and is designed to last (if) for about 5 years or so (battery) and not designed for battery replacement. What a waste.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I took my MacBook 2013 in for a battery replacement last year and the one who was helping me said, "Why?" - meaning the cost/worth of the laptop is close to the cost of the battery replacement.

The laptop was in excellent condition and was the i7, 8 GB RAM and 512GB SSD (original specs fully loaded model). I wanted the maxed out Air when I bought it back in 2012. It is considered one of the better MacBook Air's in it era (heard that Apple over spec'd that one like the 2012 mac mini with its 4 core when it came out). "If" I want to replace the SSD with a NVMe, i will see a speed increase, but the stock SSD is good enough.

Apple batteries replacements are good and I expect the battery to last the rest of its lifetime I use it. Worth it to me and the laptop runs now like when I first got it (not 10 hours like projected when it was new, but it is not running OS X Mountain Lion, but Big Sur).

I replaced other batteries with third-party options before...don't last and the hours usage is not the greatest.

With the new MacBook Pro's it is a different story...(after 2016). I am not sure what I am going to do when my MacBook Pro 2018's battery is done. I usually replace batteries myself, but these models are a challenge and don't really want to eventually do it. The cost at Apple is close to $800 due to everything glued, so this $5,000 laptop goes in to be sold as used (if anyone buys it) or scrap. What a waste. $5,000 and is designed to last (if) for about 5 years or so (battery) and not designed for battery replacement. What a waste.
Those MacBooks air are still incredible, mine from 2010 is functional today.
the pro are much better but clingy!

I know exactly what you typed about
what changed my mind about the  non replacement was my iPod from 2107 battery is incredible
when we lost power after hurricane Ian, that iPod played a video at 100% to 99% with a BT speaker.
this made me figure that it's ok to buy a MacBook Air M1 knowing the battery can last a decade or 2.

Good for you repairing your MacBooks! :~>

Reactions: loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Those MacBooks air are still incredible, mine from 2010 is functional today.
the pro are much better but clingy!

I know exactly what you typed about
what changed my mind about the  non replacement was my iPod from 2107 battery is incredible
when we lost power after hurricane Ian, that iPod played a video at 100% to 99% with a BT speaker.
this made me figure that it's ok to buy a MacBook Air M1 knowing the battery can last a decade or 2.

Good for you repairing your MacBooks! :~>
I had a Macbook Air 2010 too. Great laptop.

Back in 2010 (before getting the 2010 Air), I also found the original MacBook Air 2008 new and decided to try a MacBook Air. Loved it. But, it had an issue and I took it in to Apple. I had to return it three times after due to issues (two of the issues they caused), and the manager came to me during the last service call and said, "We are sorry that we caused you trouble with your MacBook Air, for it has been out for over a month with repairs. If you want, we will exchange your 2008 model with this new 2010 Macbook Air..." I jumped on it since it was a new model at the time and faster etc. Those were the days at Apple...

The 2010 Air was great (at the time), had the improved hinge for the screen (was one of the issues with the 2008) and much improved design. Understand why you still like it. Yes, the screen is "ok" and not a Retina, but acceptable (including my 2013 Air ).

The 2013 MacBook Air was my favorite laptop. I gave it to my wife once I upgraded, but on occasion I still use it...even when I have "better" laptops to use.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The 2013 MacBook Air was my favorite laptop. I gave it to my wife once I upgraded, but on occasion I still use it...even when I have "better" laptops to use.
Nice story, a 2010 for a 2008 is great upgrade!
somehow I use all 3 of my MacBooks everyday sometime all at once.

• Love

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Nice story, a 2010 for a 2008 is great upgrade!
somehow I use all 3 of my MacBooks everyday sometime all at once.
I do the same..three to four actually, depending on what I am doing (work also). I am sure that is now common with many users over the years. "One to rule them all" is not a reality. I have tried many times to try to just have "one" computer to do everything...but that will probably not happen.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
Looking for opinions here:

I have a 2017 macbook retina 12" and the battery health is 81% as per my genius bar tech visit yesterday.

It is $249 to replace the battery and I am on the fence about doing so. The laptop is stupendous - it is the perfect weight and size (cookie is an idiot for not having such a product offered in their current mix), and I hope to use it for at least 4-5 years for light tasks into the future, using monterey 12.6.3 which would be the last viable OS to install on it.

The current Airs are a lot heavier and not good replacements for this ultrabook, so I want to make use of it for as long as possible but do not trust apple to continue supporting it with even basic security updates.

Given my goals - do you people think it is worth it to spend the $249?

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Looking for opinions here:

I have a 2017 macbook retina 12" and the battery health is 81% as per my genius bar tech visit yesterday.

It is $249 to replace the battery and I am on the fence about doing so. The laptop is stupendous - it is the perfect weight and size (cookie is an idiot for not having such a product offered in their current mix), and I hope to use it for at least 4-5 years for light tasks into the future, using monterey 12.6.3 which would be the last viable OS to install on it.

The current Airs are a lot heavier and not good replacements for this ultrabook, so I want to make use of it for as long as possible but do not trust apple to continue supporting it with even basic security updates.

Given my goals - do you people think it is worth it to spend the $249?
If you want to continue to use this 12" form factor then by all means yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.