Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
When the iPad Pro 11' (2019) is not in use, should the battery still drain, drastically?
The unit is not off, but, I feel if I have not used the unit for a few days (despite leaving the device with at least 75-85% battery), when I return to it, the device is sometimes in the 20-25% range, on battery or lower.

Normally, I close all applications, before I finish using it. I expect very little drain. But...

mikiee

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2020
When the iPad Pro 11' (2019) is not in use, should the battery still drain, drastically?
The unit is not off, but, I feel if I have not used the unit for a few days (despite leaving the device with at least 75-85% battery), when I return to it, the device is sometimes in the 20-25% range, on battery or lower.

Normally, I close all applications, before I finish using it. I expect very little drain. But...
Maybe notifications are turning some apps back on. Check your apps for notification settings.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Oddly, battery stats does not show anything 'major'. Alas, I have since turned off all notifications, not that I need them on the iPad. And, I will monitor the iPad's battery over the coming days.

Thanks for the tips.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Oddly, battery stats does not show anything 'major'. Alas, I have since turned off all notifications, not that I need them on the iPad. And, I will monitor the iPad's battery over the coming days.

Thanks for the tips.

Have you tried a power cycle? That has been known to correct quirky behavior.

Reactions: ericwn

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Sadly, I've found battery drains like 10-25% per day on standby on newer iOS versions. I think since iOS 12? I still have an OG Air and mini 4 on iOS 9 & 10 respectively and those have excellent standby time.

For me, the culprit is usually Siri and Home. Despite completely disabling Siri, I still get battery drain. I assume it's just due to all the background processing and ML stuff Apple has added.

I've found the non-X iPhone chipsets to have lower standby battery drain than X chipset iPads so I've become quite fond of the basic iPad and Air models.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Sadly, I've found battery drains like 10-25% per day on standby on newer iOS versions. I think since iOS 12? I still have an OG Air and mini 4 on iOS 9 & 10 respectively and those have excellent standby time.

For me, the culprit is usually Siri and Home. Despite completely disabling Siri, I still get battery drain. I assume it's just due to all the background processing and ML stuff Apple has added.

I've found the non-X iPhone chipsets to have lower standby battery drain than X chipset iPads so I've become quite fond of the basic iPad and Air models.

That's really odd because I see minimal battery drain on standby on my 2021 12.9, Mini 6, & 12 Pro Max. I usually find my iPads still at 100% when I get up in the AM if I charged them before bed.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I had major battery drainage issue but it end up being the Apple Home app had set my iPad as the dedicated home hub. Next was siri on stand by Waiting for voice commands. Once those two were shut off, it has amazing stand by time

Reactions: BillyiPad95

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Mine does too. 2018 11” iPad Pro. Drops at least 15% in 24 hours if unused (on but asleep; cellular off). I believe the battery needs replacement on mine, especially given diminishing screen on time. I’ll probably give it another few months then take it to an Apple store for a battery replacement. Still have AppleCare on it so, not too concerned.

Reactions: circatee

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That's really odd because I see minimal battery drain on standby on my 2021 12.9, Mini 6, & 12 Pro Max. I usually find my iPads still at 100% when I get up in the AM if I charged them before bed.

I find the drain from 100% takes longest.

Have you actually left the iPad unplugged, unused and on standby for multiple days? If you charge everyday, then it's less likely for you to be able to see standby drain due to background tasks since the iPad will try to do those while charging.

Mind, I do get lower standby battery drain on M1, A14 and A15 iPads compared to A9X, A10X and A12X.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Well, after turning off all notifications, and making sure to close all apps, seems 6% battery drain during the night. To me, that is acceptable.

Honestly, we might be onto something here. Not like I need notifications on the iPad. After all, already have an iPhone and a Apple Watch. How many notifications does one need? LOL

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Do you have a Magic Keyboard on it? Wasn't there an issue with the MK draining battery?
Yes. But, not sure if the Magic Keyboard was the total cause of the drain. In all honesty, with my latest test, over the last 24 hours or so, I think it was to do with notifications. To me, with a 6% battery loss in about 15 hours (or so), seems fine to me.

I am willing to bet, if the notifications were still on, my battery loss would have been a lot higher. Plus, the battery usage stats look a lot better, too.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
I'm also experiencing significant battery drain on a new Mini 6 even when not being used. I've disable all the usual suspects to battery drain issues and it's still persisting. Next up will be putting it in Airplane mode and see what happens then.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I'm also experiencing significant battery drain on a new Mini 6 even when not being used. I've disable all the usual suspects to battery drain issues and it's still persisting. Next up will be putting it in Airplane mode and see what happens then.
Ah, now that would be a good test. Keep me posted on the results, please.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
I’ve noticed in the morning when the house is cool and I pickup the iPad the right side is warm, like it’s been running. And of course the battery is a lot lower.

I did the 15.0.2 update today so we’ll see if it’s the same way tomorrow morning.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
The update seemed to work, in my case. Went to bed at 98% and woke up at 96%. The iPad was not warm this morning either.

Reactions: circatee

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My 9.7” iPad Pro drains a lot when just turned off, but not powered off, due to the OS, but what I’ve noticed is that the battery doesn’t drain noticeably if I just set it to airplane mode.

pirlo2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
My ipad air 4 2021, drains around 6% every 24 hours on standby without touching it. Not sure if this draining is normal in newer ipads or mine is faulty. Earlier ipad air 2 when was brand new used to lose 2% every 3 days! My brand new ipad air 4 lose on standby in 3 days around 20%!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My ipad air 4 2021, drains around 6% every 24 hours on standby without touching it. Not sure if this draining is normal in newer ipads or mine is faulty. Earlier ipad air 2 when was brand new used to lose 2% every 3 days! My brand new ipad air 4 lose on standby in 3 days around 20%!

Sadly, it's more an issue with iPadOS.

There seems to be a ton of background processes now compared to older iOS versions. Here are battery stats for a lightly used iPad Air 2 WiFi running iPadOS 14.8. It hasn't seen any use at all during the 10-day period but it still drains quite a bit of battery on standby. Charged to 100% at 4pm but already down 2% after 4 hours.

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 8.14.06 PM.png

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I feel since I have turned off notifications on the iPad, the battery life is much better.
After all, with notifications on my iPhone and Apple Watch, there really is no need for notifications on the iPad, too.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
My 2018 11' iPad pro is my only iPad that don't have good battery life in standby. In fact its just bad. Like losing 4 to sometime 9-10% in 7-8 hours. Its worth mentioning its the only iPad I have that is a cellular model (and with a current plan on it, so its activated) so maybe its because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.