Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve had the iphone 3GS, 7, and now SE 2020. I do use it to check weather email etc. for a few minutes during the night, between it being 100% at night after showering aroung 8pm, and ~80% by morning, about 8am. I suspect it’s related to sleep tracking which I’ve done on Fitbit app for some years, until switching to Apple Watch about 1 year ago. But who knows it could be other stuff too or just the device and its much smaller than iPad battery. I do have all background notifications off even though that doesn’t seem to make any difference.

About iPads, I‘m glad to hear others have had similar positive experience with their battery life, for me I’ve only had 2021 iPad Pro now, and before the 2019 iPad Air, so no experience with older models… but even just those two, definitely makes it all the more noticeable how my dang phone and watch have to be charged 1-2x per day compared to ipad needing it wayy less.
Yeah, I figure it’s the sleep tracking app. That uses battery even if it’s not heavy. It’s normal, I think. I don’t think it’s the device, have you tried disabling it for one night? Just to test it I mean.

Yeah, iPads’ battery life has always been outstanding provided you aren’t a heavy user (gaming or drawing at high brightness? It’s gone in four hours); that said, for a light, moderate, and moderate-heavy user battery life has always been amazing. It is starting to decrease now after many iOS updates because they’ve gotten more resource-intensive, iPads have smaller batteries now, and they’re receiving more iOS updates (a fully updated iPad 4 is amazing on iOS 10, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 isn’t). Apart from that, they’ve always been great.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Well, after turning off all notifications, and making sure to close all apps, seems 6% battery drain during the night. To me, that is acceptable.

Honestly, we might be onto something here. Not like I need notifications on the iPad. After all, already have an iPhone and a Apple Watch. How many notifications does one need? LOL
I have my 2021 iPad Pro next to my MacBook Pro, and whenever I get a notification, I see that my iPad Pro's screen lights up as well displaying the notification. I think your iPad is turning on and off throughout the night/day and causing the battery drain.

I also hate the battery drain, but I experience it as well. But I need notifications on because I use my iPad on the go a lot. Hopefully a future update will fix the drain (probably not).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
For me, older iPads (maybe until iPad Air 2) had way better battery life especially for screen time compared to newer ones. iPad Pros, with the exception of my older 2918 12.9 don't have very good battery life. They all drain between 3~7% overnight, (with the occasionally 1% drop) and they all sucks when in use. I never reach the 10 hours promised by Apple. My 13 pro max have a much better screen time battery life compared to all my iPad pro and its not normal to me. A device like an iPad Pro, should be better in every way than a Phone.

I heavily use my iPad and none of them can last a day if I use one of them extensively. My 13 pro max on the other hand, I can use it like crazy, and still have 40~50% battery life at the end of the day.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I recently purchased a new 12.9” M1 IPP, and the thing is draining like 15-20% overnight. I’ve checked the battery and it’s Find My running all night. I’ve done everything from removing my Airtag from Findmy (and removing the battery), completely reinstalling my OS, and removing this iPad from Findmy and still nothing works. Findmy runs constantly in the background draining the hell out of my battery.

I’ve spent hours researching, and I find a bunch of other people with the same problem, but I cannot find a “fix” anywhere. I suspect it’s simply a bug in iPadOS that won’t go away until they patch it at some point.

Holding out hope someone here has experienced the same issue and found a fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.