Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight iPad Pro 11 cover? I just need it to handle a short drop from bed if I fall asleep watching a video.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I’ve got an ESR Ascend Hybrid case and I’m very happy with it.

It’s got a detachable front cover, like the original Apple Smart Cover, which makes it easier to hold. It also helps to reduce weight as you don’t need the cover on when you’re using the iPad unless you want it as a stand. The cover attaches more securely than the old Apple Smart Covers.

I wanted a case with full edge coverage and this one has that. The part where the Pencil attaches is thinner than the rest of it and it does bow out slightly, enough for the edge of the aluminium to be visible.

The transparent back has a slight texture to it which makes it comfortable to hold.

I can’t comment on the drop protection as I haven’t tested it. The TPU(?) frame is about 2mm thick around the speaker grills and charging port.

There’s also the Rebound Hybrid which looks similar but weighs more and may offer more protection - the weights are quoted on the specs page and I assume they include the covers. The cover is more like Apple's Smart Folio. You can tell it apart from the Ascend Hybrid by the thicker borders on the back of the case.

A review of the Rebound Hybrid case-

Prices vary so it’s worth shopping around. I picked one up very cheaply on eBay and the seller even sent the ESR Screen Protector, which fits well. It's normally sold separately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.