Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Hi,

Yesterday I purchased an Open Box MacBook Air M1 8GB/512GB Space Grey for $956. Love it so far, but I'm concerned it may of been heavily used and not a simple return at BestBuy, which as a 15 to 45 day return window depending on Elite status. It might not matter since I bought AppleCare+ at time of purchase, but now I'm worried what was advertised as open-box was used for many months.

Why I suspect:
  1. Covered in Filth: Listed as "Fair Condition" condition, it was covered in dirt, grime, smudges, droplets, crust, across every surface, top to bottom. Disgusting, but a wipe down in-store revealed it to be in perfect condition. I asked, how someone could get it this aged/dirty during a normal return window, no answer. This would have taken a messy person 6+ months to build up. As for the charger/cable, it appears they provided new store stock in the original MacBook box.
  2. Battery Cycles: While not terrible, it has 17 for an open box. That seems high considering the long battery life to hit 0% and fully charge that many times. I suppose it is possible with the max 45 day return window.
  3. Manufacturer Date: Checking Coconut Battery, the manufacturer date is 2020-10-19. That sounds like original launch stock, but shouldn't a recent open box at Best Buy have been relatively more recent, at least 2021?
    • Other Coconut Info:
      • Mac Age - 278 days
      • Battery Age - 320 days
      • Full Charge Capacity: 82.6%
      • Design Capacity: 97.5%
  4. Check Coverage from Apple: Upon checking the serial on Apple's site, it has a "Green Check Mark" for the valid purchase date. I assume that means they have the original owner's purchase date on file and using that to determine coverage. Though, coverage is expiring November 17 2021, exactly one year from the original release date of this MacBook. I wonder, but there's no way this could of been purchased at launch and some how an open box at Best Buy, right?
    • Note: I purchased AppleCare+, but it may take 24-72 hours to show up in their system.
Could this laptop have been used for 6+ months and returned to BestBuy?

Does the green checkmark for valid purchase date on Apple's site actually mean they have it from the original owner, despite the warranty ending Nov 17?

Is the battery cycle high for an Air 1 open box, considering the battery life?

I might be overthinking things, but I would like Best Buy to disclose if this was considered used and not an open-box.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
hard to say, it could have been sitting at BB for some time before it was first sold, or, it could have been sitting as an open box for the past 6 months.
17 cycles, if I'm guessing about 12hrs battery per charge that makes it ~204 hrs of battery usage, or at 8hrs/day make ~25.5 days of on battery usage ...
You do have AC+, so I'd say you're gonna be fine

Reactions: TimothyB

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi,

Yesterday I purchased an Open Box MacBook Air M1 8GB/512GB Space Grey for $956. Love it so far, but I'm concerned it may of been heavily used and not a simple return at BestBuy, which as a 15 to 45 day return window depending on Elite status. It might not matter since I bought AppleCare+ at time of purchase, but now I'm worried what was advertised as open-box was used for many months.

Why I suspect:
  1. Covered in Filth: Listed as "Fair Condition" condition, it was covered in dirt, grime, smudges, droplets, crust, across every surface, top to bottom. Disgusting, but a wipe down in-store revealed it to be in perfect condition. I asked, how someone could get it this aged/dirty during a normal return window, no answer. This would have taken a messy person 6+ months to build up. As for the charger/cable, it appears they provided new store stock in the original MacBook box.
  2. Battery Cycles: While not terrible, it has 17 for an open box. That seems high considering the long battery life to hit 0% and fully charge that many times. I suppose it is possible with the max 45 day return window.
  3. Manufacturer Date: Checking Coconut Battery, the manufacturer date is 2020-10-19. That sounds like original launch stock, but shouldn't a recent open box at Best Buy have been relatively more recent, at least 2021?
    • Other Coconut Info:
      • Mac Age - 278 days
      • Battery Age - 320 days
  4. Check Coverage from Apple: Upon checking the serial on Apple's site, it has a "Green Check Mark" for the valid purchase date. I assume that means they have the original owner's purchase date on file and using that to determine coverage. Though, coverage is expiring November 17 2021, exactly one year from the original release date of this MacBook. I wonder, but there's no way this could of been purchased at launch and some how an open box at Best Buy, right?
    • Note: I purchased AppleCare+, but it may take 24-72 hours to show up in their system.

Does the green checkmark for valid purchase date on Apple's site actually mean they have it from the original owner, despite the warranty ending Nov 17?

I might be overthinking things, but I would like Best Buy to disclose if this was considered used and not an open-box.
According to Best Buy website: Open Box = Products returned under Best Buy Return & Exchange Promise

You're not necessarily overthinking things but you seem to have a different definition of "Open Box" than Best Buy does.

"Open Box" can be any item that was purchased and returned to Best Buy within the permissible window. It runs the spectrum from someone buying the item, opening the box, and then returning it... all the way to using the device fully for 45 days and then returning it.

I suspect that Best Buy uses the term "Open Box" rather than "Used" because psychologically people will think that the item returned was literally "opened the box, immediately changed their mind, and returned it".

I find Best Buy's "Open Box" items not worth buying because the discount for that open/used item is not large enough compared to the price for new and unopened. Yeah, I know about those "unicorn" Open-Box deals where someone buys an Open-Box item for 80% off and only the tape on the box had been opened.... I've never seen one first-hand.

From your post it sounds like you assume that returns are immediately repackaged and ready for resale. That's not always the case... especially coming out of the pandemic where everyone appears to be understaffed. That Macbook could've been sold late in 2020, returned 30-45 days later, and been sitting in some corner somewhere for months before it was processed and repackaged. The dust and grime could've been from sitting around... maybe in the employee's breakroom. :oops:

If you can get a refund of your purchase of the Macbook and AppleCare+, I would recommend doing that.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I would have immediately returned something that was 'covered in filth'. That's not acceptable to me no matter how long it was used prior to purchase. They should have a little respect for the customer and clean up stuff they're going to sell. You still paid almost $1k and it shouldn't be filthy. I'm not cleaning someone else's boogers off my thousand dollar purchase.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Best Buy is very clear about what the open box conditions mean, which I'm pasting in below (with Fair at the top). I've bought BB open box items, but will only buy Excellent or Excellent-Certified to save a few bucks. I'd never get a fair condition open box because it's too much of a crapshoot. I would have returned what you received right away.

Open-Box Fair
Products in Fair condition operate as intended, but show more significant scratches, dents or chips & for example, an appliance returned to a Best Buy store with a dent or large scratch or a TV with a minor scuff on the screen that doesn't affect viewing quality. Original packaging is typically not included and vital accessories are commonly missing, like a TV pedestal or a proprietary cable (identified on each individual product). Products in Fair condition may be found in Best Buy stores (selection varies) so you can see them for yourself. If you can accept visible flaws, you'll also realize substantial savings.

Open-Box Excellent – Certified
Select product categories are eligible for certification. Each Excellent-Certified product has passed the Geek Squad® Certified process. Products in this condition look brand new — with no physical flaws, scratches or scuffs — and include the original parts1See disclaimer 1
and accessories, as well as the original box (or a suitable replacement).2See disclaimer 2
In addition, the product was professionally cleaned, then repackaged with care to give you a product as near to new as possible. Excellent- Certified products can be found in Best Buy stores and online.
Disclaimers for Open-Box Excellent – Certified
  1. Product might not include the owner's manual or manufacturer registration card.
  2. Common home delivery products such as TVs and major appliances may still qualify for Excellent or Excellent-Certified condition without packaging or a box.
Open-Box Excellent
Products in Excellent condition look brand new — with no physical flaws, scratches or scuffs — and include all original parts1See disclaimer 1
and accessories. The product will be in its original packaging or a suitable replacement box.2See disclaimer 2
Products in Excellent condition can be found in Best Buy stores and online.
Disclaimers for Open-Box Excellent
  1. Product might not include the owner's manual or manufacturer registration card.
  2. Common home delivery products such as TVs and major appliances may still qualify for Excellent or Excellent-Certified condition without packaging or a box.
Open-Box Satisfactory
Products in Satisfactory condition show minor to moderate signs of use that affect cosmetic appearance, but have no impact on performance. If the product has a screen, it is intact and fully functional, with no visible blemishes in the viewing area. (A Satisfactory product does not include dents, chips, cracks or deep scratches.) In addition, original packaging is typically not present, and nonessential parts or accessories might be missing, such as a commonly available cable or remote (identified on each individual product). Products in Satisfactory condition can be found in Best Buy stores (selection varies), where the factors mentioned above are accounted for in the savings you'll see.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Best Buy is very clear about what the open box conditions mean, which I'm pasting in below (with Fair at the top). I've bought BB open box items, but will only buy Excellent or Excellent-Certified to save a few bucks. I'd never get a fair condition open box because it's too much of a crapshoot. I would have returned what you received right away.

Open-Box Fair
Products in Fair condition operate as intended, but show more significant scratches, dents or chips & for example, an appliance returned to a Best Buy store with a dent or large scratch or a TV with a minor scuff on the screen that doesn't affect viewing quality. Original packaging is typically not included and vital accessories are commonly missing, like a TV pedestal or a proprietary cable (identified on each individual product). Products in Fair condition may be found in Best Buy stores (selection varies) so you can see them for yourself. If you can accept visible flaws, you'll also realize substantial savings.
-
For Fair condition, that’s the weird thing, besides the dirt, there was no actual damage, like Fair describes if they had taken 1 minute to wipe it down while they replaced the vital accessories (charge cable brand new and still in paper wrap, and adapter new in plastic but with a store-stock sticker on it and then sealed it in the original box with geek squad inspected tape.

I guess I should have taken a step back and said wait a minute when I saw how dirty it was Worse, they don’t discount Space Grey as much as they do for Gold or Silver in the same condition. Space Grey Fair discount is about the price Gold and Silver are in Excellent.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I would have immediately returned something that was 'covered in filth'. That's not acceptable to me no matter how long it was used prior to purchase. They should have a little respect for the customer and clean up stuff they're going to sell. You still paid almost $1k and it shouldn't be filthy. I'm not cleaning someone else's boogers off my thousand dollar purchase.
It’s worse than you imagine. I actually examined it in store and when I said couldn’t tell it’s true condition due to the dirt, the employee retrieved a cleaning clothe and spray and just gave it to me. At that moment I felt really awkward having to clean the product myself they wanted someone to buy.
l

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It’s worse than you imagine. I actually examined it in store and when I said couldn’t tell it’s true condition due to the dirt, the employee retrieved a cleaning clothe and spray and just gave it to me. At that moment I felt really awkward having to clean the product myself they wanted someone to buy.
l
I think that's weird too that the employee didn't clean it up for you.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
According to Best Buy website: Open Box = Products returned under Best Buy Return & Exchange Promise

You're not necessarily overthinking things but you seem to have a different definition of "Open Box" than Best Buy does.

"Open Box" can be any item that was purchased and returned to Best Buy within the permissible window. It runs the spectrum from someone buying the item, opening the box, and then returning it... all the way to using the device fully for 45 days and then returning it.

I suspect that Best Buy uses the term "Open Box" rather than "Used" because psychologically people will think that the item returned was literally "opened the box, immediately changed their mind, and returned it".

I find Best Buy's "Open Box" items not worth buying because the discount for that open/used item is not large enough compared to the price for new and unopened. Yeah, I know about those "unicorn" Open-Box deals where someone buys an Open-Box item for 80% off and only the tape on the box had been opened.... I've never seen one first-hand.

From your post it sounds like you assume that returns are immediately repackaged and ready for resale. That's not always the case... especially coming out of the pandemic where everyone appears to be understaffed. That Macbook could've been sold late in 2020, returned 30-45 days later, and been sitting in some corner somewhere for months before it was processed and repackaged. The dust and grime could've been from sitting around... maybe in the employee's breakroom. :oops:

If you can get a refund of your purchase of the Macbook and AppleCare+, I would recommend doing that.
Thanks, I guess they word it just vague enough to lump everything into the term Open Box. I think Frys at least marked items a used vs open box. I also wouldn’t be surprised, based on your guess, if it had been used by employees in a break room or other for uses. Either way, they some how didn’t lose track of the original box with matching serial number.

I’m also wondering if someone returned it later under some kind of warranty coverage, then upon quick inspection they didn’t see anything wrong and just resold it as open box. Though, I could imagine that happening with a Geek Squad warranty for standard laptops, not Apple products that they only sell with AppleCare+.

I may consider returning it due to these concerns, plus I’m liking the performance enough I’m starting to regret not getting 16gb of memory for personal design and 3D work. Though, once you start upgrading specs, the price quickly jumps and that base config value is lost. At that point I might as well see what Apple could announce in the coming months.

I was also considering the Zephyrus G14 laptop as a good overall personal laptop and light gaming while waiting doe Apple Silicone to mature further. While I have a high-spec desktop PC, it’s now heavily used for my job while working from home, so I treat it as a business tool and not so much for personal use, plus I often want to step away from the desk at the end of the day and not have to close all my open projects.

Reactions: sracer

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
...just return it and get a new one, or a refurbished one through Apple.

They presented you with a gross used computer, made you clean it yourself in the store, and you still bought it for $143 less than Best Buy is selling the same one for brand new, $103 less than Apple certified refurbished.

Granted, they shouldn't be selling open-box products encrusted with questionable substances, but this is a consumer problem, not a Best Buy problem. You chose to buy it, now you can choose to return it.

Reactions: Apfelblüte

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi,

Why I suspect:
    • Other Coconut Info:
      • Mac Age - 278 days
      • Battery Age - 320 days

Return it. I wouldn't pay that price for a Mac from Best Buy like that.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The Zephyrus G14 is amazing. I had one last year but ended up giving it to a CS-college-bound high school student who couldn't afford her own laptop.

But if I was you and had the same concerns about this machine, I'd return it and get an excellent condition silver.

Last edited:

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I think that's weird too that the employee didn't clean it up for you.
Yep, and for all he knew, I could of just gone crazy spraying the cleaning solution directly to the screen and keys with heavy saturation. Luckily I knew you spray it into the cloth and not directly on the computer, especially the screen.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
If you were able to get Apple Care on the laptop, you should be fine. The giveaway for heavily used units (such as models that were on display) is that they are ineligible for Apple Care. There is no way the machine could have been used for six months and then returned, since that is well outside of even BBY's Elite Plus return policy.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
The Zephyrus G14 is amazing. I had one last year but ended up giving it to a CS-college-bound high school student who couldn't afford one.

But if I was you and had the same concerns about this machine, I'd return it and get an excellent condition silver.
Plus the new G14 this year seems to be even better than last year , between the updated AMD cpu and 3060, plus other improvements. I think one reviewed showed, when set to silent mode, it still performed great in games. While a G15 with a 3070 in silent mode dropped to half the performance of the G14, or other Asus laptops would switch to intergrated graphics in that mode. So the G14 seems to hit a good sweet spot in terms of weight, size, performance, noise and heat (for a PC laptop)

If I purchase new at Best Buy, I do get the 45 day return window to really test it and see if I can get the heat and noise under control for general use. I could also use a Citi card for 2 added years of warranty.

Reactions: 0128672

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
We've become too used to Apple Refurbs being the gold standard. BB is in the game to sell everything in stock and will sell everything in stock, including computers buried in the dirt by folks who then decide to return them. No questions asked, I guess.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The question which comes to my mind is, if the machine was that dirty on the outside, what is it like INSIDE??? Is there dust and whatnot in there which can't be seen unless the machine is opened up? I would return this machine as it just sounds too questionable on several counts.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
We've become too used to Apple Refurbs being the gold standard. BB is in the game to sell everything in stock and will sell everything in stock, including computers buried in the dirt by folks who then decide to return them. No questions asked, I guess.
Deceptive practices like that would make me no longer purchase from them, and I'd probably let all of my friends and family know. Maybe BB needs to up their standards just a touch when a $950 product is on the line

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Yesterday I purchased an Open Box MacBook Air M1 8GB/512GB Space Grey for $956.
That was your first mistake. The rest of your posting isn't really relevant, as it all leads from the first mistake.

Do you still have the ability to return it? Do so.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
$1059 for the same machine Apple refurbished is how I’d go, but that’s just me. Too many unknowns with a refurb from any other vendor. Yes it’s $100 more, but it’s a device you’re probably keeping for years (my current MacBook is 6 years old), and I’m willing to pay that to know that I’m getting a Mac in excellent condition that’s really been refurbished.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I think if you have concerns you should return it. It seems that $956 for a machine in that condition is not enough of a great deal to justify its presentation or any mental anxiety or doubts cause by it. It's a relatively small discount. However, if I was going to buy an open box, I do not think I would be surprised by some dirt and I would probably first put the machine through its paces to see if I could live with the cosmetics/condition.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Return it and hunt for Apple refurbished instead. It's not worth the worry. I wouldn't spend that much money on any "open-box" stuff.

deleon

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
I don't think Best Buy did anything wrong here.

The OP said:
"Listed as "Fair Condition" condition"

Best Buys says:
Open-Box Fair
  • Significant cosmetic signs of use
  • Vital accessories may be missing

I think a really dusty laptop would fall under "cosmetic signs of use". It simply wasn't cared for. And Fair is the lowest level for open box items. So I don't know how you could expect a diamond in the rough. If it were rated Excellent, then a whole different set of expectations.

As others said, if you have doubts return it.

Reactions: G5isAlive

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
like others said, return it. You already lost almost a year's worth of warranty - even with AC+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.