Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
It's not a great lens because the name Carl zeiss is on the lens, it's a great lens due to the zeiss companys very strict manufacturing process. Take the name off and it will still be a great lens.

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
actually, you can't go wrong with any brand. They all have their respective pros and cons. I actually like Pentax. The K20D is a great camera. Lots of great glass for them, although they aren't as "mainstream" as nikon or canon.

Here are a few things to do research on and think about.

Like others have said, you buy into a system, per sé. Only Full frame cameras (5D/2, 1DS/II/III) are the only cameras that are NOT compatible with the EF-S line of lenses, as they are for the "crop sensor" cameras. I only know canon, but Nikon has the same kind of deal.

So say you buy Nikon Dxx, and then you buy some glass, you are more than likely to stay with Nikon. As you get more and more glass, you will then come to a point where you will have a "system", so to speak. Switch to another brand at that point just kind of becomes a hassle, as you have to sell all your gear, and then replace it with the equivalent Canon or Oly or whatever you decide on.

I would honestly buy whatever camera you want. You buy a base, "bare bones" body, and then you will outgrow it quickly. I have been shooting for a long time, and i am fine with the xD bodies of Canon, although Full Frame would be great, just don't want to spend the cash on it at this time.

I think 4 fps is perfect for every day, all around use. You can pick up a used 30D body for about $400 with low clicks. Or a Nikon D200/300 for the price of a D80 or D90. There is nothing wrong with buying used. CHeck out http://www.fredmiranda.com . They have THE best B&S forum i have seen. Seriously, i would go used. Then when you want to upgrade, you can sell and not lose your ace on the body.

Glass holds its' value, about 70% or so. And don't worry if the camera is a lower model camera. A lot of sales people will try to push a higher camera onto you, as i experienced yesterday. An XSI is perfect. Same AF system as the 30/40D, but not quite as a fast burst rate, etc...

And while megapixels are great, i think on some cameras it is just a gimmick. The difference between 2 MP is not going to be make or break for me. MP count is great if you are blowing up images 20x30, but how many of us have even done a 10x15 on a regular basis. I have never blown any thing up over 8x10. Sad, i know...

Just do research, bring in a CF/SD card into best buy and shoot with different cameras. Then view the info at home and see what the differences are. I know shooting indoors with a kit lens on auto isn't going to be scientific, but it will give you an idea... Buy what you want. We can all sit here and give you info and tips, but only you know how far you want to take this hobby.... http://www.dpreview.com is great, BTW.

Do Not Buy a Camera From an Electronics Superstore... or at least don't go there to get questions answered... Keep in mind that the sales people will tell you anything you want to hear and most of it is BS. Go to a camera store.

Having said that... most of the responses are accurate, six of one...half dozen of the other. By my name you can see my bias... I am a professional... and the professionals that taught me maintain Canon is the best. Nikon is every bit as good... Canon is the technological frontrunner... but Nikon follows very quickly.

My pick would be canon's x1i... the cheapest DSLR with HD video. The kit lens is mediocre (18-55 ef-s) but an ok starter lens... if you go body only, a Macro–zoom lens is a nice versatile choice for a first lens.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Do Not Buy a Camera From an Electronics Superstore... or at least don't go there to get questions answered... Keep in mind that the sales people will tell you anything you want to hear and most of it is BS. Go to a camera store.

Having said that... most of the responses are accurate, six of one...half dozen of the other. By my name you can see my bias... I am a professional... and the professionals that taught me maintain Canon is the best. Nikon is every bit as good... Canon is the technological frontrunner... but Nikon follows very quickly.

My pick would be canon's x1i... the cheapest DSLR with HD video. The kit lens is mediocre (18-55 ef-s) but an ok starter lens... if you go body only, a Macro–zoom lens is a nice versatile choice for a first lens.

I went into a Pro Photo shop here in Portland, not best buy.
You meant T1i:)

The 18-55mm IS actually is getting decent reviews. It is NOT the same as the older 18-55mm that was disco'd with the XTi. I hated that lens. The only real exciting lens that is part of the lens kit, so to speak, is the 24-105L. The 17-85IS and 25-135mm are jokes. I would honestly rather use the 18-55mmIS over the 17-85, it is that bad.

Sure Canon is on top. They have been designing their own CMOS sensors for years now. Most, even Nikon until recently, (maybe they still do..?) were using Sony chips. Canon even uses Sony chips in their smaller P&S cameras.

I have never had a problem with Canon. The only reason I am going with Canon is because I know their system and have some glass already, now just looking for a steal on a body. I need to get out shooting! ASAP

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Sure Canon is on top. They have been designing their own CMOS sensors for years now. Most, even Nikon until recently, (maybe they still do..?) were using Sony chips. Canon even uses Sony chips in their smaller P&S cameras.

Canon cameras are marketing-driven. Nikon cameras are photography-driven.

You have the wrong idea of who is on top.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC

You have the wrong idea of who is on top.

ok, maybe i am mistaken then. But everytime i am watching football/soccer/tennis/baseball, etc, all i see is a sea of white tele's. I know that isnt Sony's lenses out there, lol. Unless Nikon has been making white lenses and hasn't told anyone.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I think there's a minor argument to be made that Canon is engineering driven, while Nikon is more photographer-driven. Both do their share of marketing, particularly Nikon these days.

I don't think I realized just how much the D3 changed things until looking at those shots linked to above. It was the heavyweight punch that got Nikon back in the game.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
ok, so because it says "Carl Zeiss" on the lens, it must be good?

Panasonic puts Leica lenses on its point-&-shoots. so what?

You've obviously never shot with Zeiss or Leica glass....

What on earth does this statement even mean??? :eek:

This thread is quickly deteriorating... :rolleyes:

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
You've obviously never shot with Zeiss or Leica glass....

Brand is not everything. They make (plastic) Zeiss lenses for phone cameras as well, but those are not of Zeiss (glass) quality.

But I do get your point. It's just that your "Zeiss" is like saying "Canon" lenses are great if you think of "Canon L" (but many people are using non-L versions).

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
The OP wanted something for a hobby; his goal was not to get into photographic journals. I would say that entry level models from all the brands mentioned are on par and very capable.

Robby9279, the best camera for you is the one you are going to feel the most comfortable with. Something you get excited about picking up, feels good in your hands, and works great with your eye. Nevermind technological leaps and marketing materials, because the time that you spend drooling over that stuff is time that you could spend taking photos. :)

entergreenland

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2009
There actually is a good "all-round" lens that has lots of different uses, the Nikon 18-200, its got decent wideangle at one end but you can zoom in pretty close as well for far away subjects, especially with the DX magnification factor. It's also not that expensive.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
ok, so because it says "Carl Zeiss" on the lens, it must be good?

Panasonic puts Leica lenses on its point-&-shoots. so what?

just want to point out that the leica lenses are "leica certified" they aren't actually manufactured by leica as far as I know.

wouldn't be surprised at the same thing with integrated zeiss optics.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just decided this issue for myself last night

I have been doing the exact same process, of researching my first DSLR purchase. I have always been a point and shoot camera guy, but the wife wanted a better camera for an upcoming event. After much research I was leaning toward the about to be released Nikon D3000 over the outgoing Canon Xsi primarily because it has a "training" mode on the display to basically bring newbies such as myself up to speed.

But, then came the LiveView v. no LiveView issue: particularly after watching some YouTube videos on the subject: I decided I wanted LiveView. It will allow my wife and I to transition from point and shoot habits and does [as YouTube shows] have potential if I ever become interested in more advanced photography shots. So this moved me away from the Nikon and over to the Canon XSi. [I bought a Dummies book to make up for the loss of the onscreen guide in the Nikon D3000]

I then decided I probably want to have video since my camcorder is very old and I may not want to be taking two cameras along anymore given the comparatively mammoth size of DSLR's. This moved me up to the Canon T1i or the NiKon D5000. The Canon has slightly better video. All else seems equivalent. Either would be an equivalent choice.

My wife is Japanese and the T1i [under the cuter "Kiss X3" name] is the most popular camera [but what do they know...]. Reality aside, the Canon was the safer choice for me domestically. ;)

I then had to decide on Lenses. Going back and forth I elected the two lens kit with the IS on both. There is another two lens kit with no IS on a slightly more powerful telephoto, but I wanted IS. I considered not getting the telephoto lens and getting better glass later, but I felt that it is unlikely I would be spending the amount of cash required for a good lens for a long time, and the reviews on the two kit lenses with IS were actually not bad for lenses in their "budget" class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.