Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

So I've just realised I've got enough money to get a dSLR. I do photography B&W Film with an old Pentax K1000 at college. My friend has just bought some Canon dSLR and it's pretty good, but I think he spent quite a bit.

I've been looking around on the net and photography magazines but just wondering what people would recommend. I understand and can use rather a lot of settings so it doesn't have to be a consumer aimed camera.

I would like all the obvious things really, Hi-res (for large prints), hi quality pics, hi quality build, good features at a low price.

I've been looking into Pentax, Nikon and Canon... I don't like the 'look' of Sony cameras really. 'Look' meaning I don't think there any good compared to other camera makes in general. They seem to be more consumer based instead of professional, unlike Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

Just wondering what’s on the market really so any advice/recommendations?

Cheers,
Luke.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Check out the new Olympus E-620. It seems very interesting. I particularly like the lack of bulk for an stabilized body and the swivel LCD.
An amazing feature at this price is the autofocus fine tuning. One would have to buy at least a D300 for this. Maybe one can fine tune per focus point like the new E-30, but I am not sure (if it does, I don't know if the D300 is even capable of this!).

BTW, I am a Nikon/Kodak/Fuji user. I am always intrigued by the small Olympuses as a travel DSLR.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ I have an E-420 and it's great. I plan on using it with a Panasonic Leica Lens with O.I.S. (renting) to see how that works.

OP - buy a used or refurbished camera. People are upgrading all the time. I got a sweet deal on a used Canon 20D. Then you'll have extra funds for lenses and other stuff, while not breaking your budget.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
My budget is as low as possible... Around £300? but willing to spend more (as always) to get a great deal.

£300 seems alright for the Nikon range, but canon seems to start from £350.
I would like to get the body, normal lens and possibly macro lens for about £350-£400.
I don't like buying used equipment one bit :p
Anything wrong with the Nikon range, like D40 or D60? Jessops is selling them for comparitively low prices.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If your not planning to get other than the kit lenses, it's possibly more appropriate to get a new D40 kit with full warranty (£260 at amazon).

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The Nikon D40 looks very good for the price but I don't like the fact it has 6MP. I would like to have some prints sort of A3 sizes so I would need about a minimum of 10million, sharp pixels for a good print.

The Nikon D60 looks cool though with 10M odd pixels. I know the pixels dont count for everything but I would like a higher res than 6M.

I plan on using 2 lens's. Normal lens which is included in the kits I believe and a macro lens. How much to macro lens's go for that fit the nikon D60 its compatible with AF-S and AF-I? (Yes I want auto-focus) Please :)

I also like to do shots with light trails in so long exposure times. I take it most dSLR's have this priority setting?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Anything wrong with the Nikon range, like D40 or D60? Jessops is selling them for comparitively low prices.

The D40/D40x/D60 do not have an in-body AF motor, so older, non AF-S lenses, do not autofocus with them. That is more of an issue if you plan buying used, third-party, or some prime lenses. That's why people consider a used D50 as a better alternative.

But the compatibility of Nikon goes way back than that of Canon.

You diss Sony, but the DSLR system is in reality Minolta. There's an interesting kit for less than £260 at amazon, and the body has a stabilizer that works for ANY lens (not like Nikon and Canon, which have IS only in some lenses).

If you don't like buying used, the greater availability of such equipment for Nikon and Canon should not be an issue for you.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If you go with Nikon, I'd heavily recommend that you do not get the D40/D60 line because you can't autofocus with any lenses that do not have a built in autofocus motor. That means you can't use any of the older prime and zoom lenses which are cheaper and still great quality. Last I checked the D40/60 can't autofocus about 1/3 of Nikon's line of lenses. I'd check to see if your budget can be stretched to get a used D80, which is one step above the D40/60 but can autofocus all of Nikon's lenses.

Canon's base dSLR on the other hand has no such problems. As for which camera system you want to go with, take a good look at the lens lineup in each of them. Canon and Nikon both have the most extensive lineup (Canon has a few more lenses, although they are pretty much equal), the other cameras don't match up quite as well. I personally wouldn't stray beyond either Canon or Nikon, as the support just isn't there for them. Canon and Nikon have been in the dSLR business longer and have had time to get their act together and get very solid systems, while the other newer competitors are just in the first few years and don't have everything quite there yet IMO.

I personally use Canon cameras right now, as the Super Telephotos are thousands cheaper. And while I believe that Canon has an edge over Nikon in the consumer range, which you are looking at, Nikon has the edge over Canon in the professional range. I'm actually considering the switch to Nikon because Canon won't come out with a dSLR that has speed and high ISO performance (But don't tell Canon that :D).

All in all, I'd recommend that you go with the 1000D, first because of the autofocus issue with the base Nikon cameras, and second because it is a very solid camera. If you want to go with Nikon, save a bit more and go with the D80 or D90 unless you don't plan on taking advantage of the great line of cheaper older lenses. I believe that Warehouse Express seems to have a pretty good deal on the 1000D here. (Although I'm not too familiar with the prices in the UK)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Well, if you "don't like buying used equipment one bit" (which is foolish), then why not get a D40? Combining your small budget (at least for the near future) and your dislike of used gear, you'll only be buying plastic-consumer lenses anyways.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks for all the comments people, very quick and extremely helpful.

The Nikon D80 is well over budget so thats a no go... although it looks good.

The Canon EOS 1000D on the other hand looks rather cool and nearly in budget. Would this be compatible with the lens my dad has then, which is the camera I've been using lately for macro. I've just taken some photos of them and attached them to this post, EF lens's? (I would preffer the new lens's in the kits but its nice to know I can use the macro and zoom lens's I already have.

I already have a tripod so i didn't need that bundle but the one iBookG4user linked to was a good deal I think.

Attachments

• DSC03718.JPG
    DSC03718.JPG
    563.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03725.JPG
    DSC03725.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 96

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
I'd recommend you look for a way to actually use the camera you are planning to buy ahead of time. My local camera store will rent out cameras, and then apply 90% of the rental fee toward purchase if you buy within a certain time frame (a month, I think ... ). In my case, I had narrowed my search to a Canon and a Nikon in the same price range. I was leaning slightly toward Canon, but when I actually spent time using the cameras, I found that the Nikon just fit better in my hand. It was striking to me how much more comfortable one felt over the other. This would be a very individual preference, of course, but in my case, anyway, I think it makes a big difference in how often I use my new camera (a D60, which I LOVE, btw ... ).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

The Canon EOS 1000D on the other hand looks rather cool and nearly in budget. Would this be compatible with the lens my dad has then, which is the camera I've been using lately for macro. I've just taken some photos of them and attached them to this post, EF lens's? (I would preffer the new lens's in the kits but its nice to know I can use the macro and zoom lens's I already have.

I already have a tripod so i didn't need that bundle but the one iBookG4user linked to was a good deal I think.

Yes, any EF lens will work, so all of those lenses that you show will work on the 1000D. That 28mm lens is pretty nice too. :)

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe

EF autofocus lenses work with the canon dslr. This was the biggest selling point for me when I got my canon.

Re used: I have since purchased a used speedlite flash and 70-200 L series lens for a steal. Try before you buy. Photographers change their gear to suit their needs, but they take care of their equipment.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

Yes, those are EF lenses, so they are compatible with any modern Canon DSLR. EF or EF-S lenses will work with the Canon 1000D. It's the "FD" line that won't work (without adapters and loss of functions).

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Ah thats great,

Ya my dad just said he got the 28mm lens along with everything else 19 years and 1 day ago. the 28mm lens was to take photos of the family on the sofa. :p

He said he knows someone at canon that is allowed to buy 1 camera a year so we might be able to get discount. He's also waited ages to be able to afford a dSLR so he might split the cost with me and go for the 450D

Is the 450D much better do you think than the 1000D?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
D90 or an old D80. You want something that will let you explore, without being too expensive initially. Spend more money on lenses. Get something with an f2 or less. Nikon or Canon really comes down to which one feels better in your hands, and whose menu system you like better, etc. They're both great cameras. And remember that you're buying into the system, not the camera.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ah thats great,

Ya my dad just said he got the 28mm lens along with everything else 19 years and 1 day ago. the 28mm lens was to take photos of the family on the sofa. :p

He said he knows someone at canon that is allowed to buy 1 camera a year so we might be able to get discount. He's also waited ages to be able to afford a dSLR so he might split the cost with me and go for the 450D

Is the 450D much better do you think than the 1000D?

The 450D is better than the 1000D, although most of the difference is related to MP count, autofocus and the LCD. You won't see a difference in the MP count honestly and the LCD resolution is the same, so it is just a bit bigger. Although the autofocus is where you'll see the biggest difference, as well as a slightly faster continuous shooting rate. And the 450D is built a bit better.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Be sure to try those cameras in your hand before buying them, specially the lower-end Canons. Ideally, you would also play a long bit with the different controls as well.

If you were going to get a used D50, holding a D80 or D90 should give you enough of an idea, as the sizes are comparable (the D40/D40x/D60 are smaller because of the lack of AF motor).

Finally, don't forget to consider the Pentax K-m.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Hi,
I don't like the 'look' of Sony cameras really. 'Look' meaning I don't think there any good compared to other camera makes in general. They seem to be more consumer based instead of professional, unlike Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

You do realise the Sony dSLR's are basically Minolta's don't you? The A200, which is about as cheap as you get, has in body stabilisation, and you get to look for all those classic old Minolta lenses. Unfortunately old Minolta lenses are going way back up in price nowadays.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I will look into them. i considered a few Pentax but since I have all the canon lenses and a possibility of getting the camera half price from a friend of my dads that works at canon. For about £230 the 1000D would be perfect or about £335 for the 450D hypathetically speaking if I can get the discount from the employee. If not i'll probably go for the 1000D anyway for £350, maybe £399 if I want a new lense because the ones we have are 19 years old and work fine but it would probably be a good idea to get the one with it for a good price and itll be in perfect condition obveously.

you guys are so much help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.