Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I have an 18TB external USB 3 drive from OWC that continues to disconnect when in use for a while. It's just out of warranty (just got in 2022!). Disk Utility's testing causes the disc to disconnect eventually, I've replaced the cables. So I am wondering what else I can do to test/repair. I'm no table to determine if it's the case itself or the disk that may be an issue. There are a few disk products out there, but it's not clear to me which ones are best for this task. Some are like 80.00 a year subscription (eek).

This is on MacOS Monterey 12.7.4, Macbook Pro 16" Intel (2019).

Thanks!

forrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
It has it's own power supply (I should have mentioned that, apologies).

forrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
What model and version of external enclosure?
There is no sticker on the enclosure, but it is a "18.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro" -- the case is aluminum/silver in color.

They still sell the enclosures for like 70.00. The warranty was for only like 3 years or something, which I thought was kinda cheapo of them. *shrug*

forrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I see the enclosure for $47.99

You will still be in warranty--have you tried calling OWC support? I have done that only a couple of times over the years, but, in my experience, their phone support has been pretty good.
I did and they basically told me to f off, in so many words. "We regret to inform you..." and suggesting I look into expensive disk repair programs, etc. I was a little surprised, actually.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I'm afraid your current option is to swap the drive into a different enclosure. If that does not work, then the drive may have failed. If so, data recovery service is the only option left.

forrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I'm afraid your current option is to swap the drive into a different enclosure. If that does not work, then the drive may have failed. If so, data recovery service is the only option left.

I can access data on the drive. There are two APFS volumes; one for data, one for Time Machine. I've noticed that when the Time Machine is running, eventually it disconnects. I've replaced cables and connectors, that is not the issue.

OWC even told me that I should back up my data always. Duh, ya don't say!? LOL This disk IS the backup LOL I just let that one go.

If I use Disk Utility on the drive, it eventually disconnects.

In these cases, where could the case be an issue? I'm concerned that it's the disk itself, and that may be the case -- but I need some better tools to diagnose it.

I'm fine with trying a new case if that's needed, but I was really disappointed at OWC's response.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Why do you have your backup/TimeMachine backup on the same drive as your data!
Don't backup your data on the same drive where you store your data!
That's not a backup--well, not a safe backup...
What happens to your backup if (when) your external drive fails?

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.