Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If I were doing portraits on a 1.6x crop, I'd get the 50/1.4 in heartbeat. If I made money at it, I'd sell the 1.6x crop, buy a 5D and the 85/1.2L and be in portrait heaven.
How are you gonna hold the camera with that lens with just one arm :D ;)
Yeah, yeah, if money weren't an issue … [dreaming on about my potential equipment] :)

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
You still don't really read what I've written, you simply cannot take pictures the way you describe....

Note that I'm not lecturing about theory here, your argument that the distance to the subject determines perspective is correct.
But people don't buy lenses that have a given depth of field at a given aperture either (= determined by focal length), they buy lenses with the viewing angle they want.

What I suggested was a test to illustrate and prove how distance is the variable which affects near / far size differences (i.e. perspective) not a suggestion of how to shoot a portrait.

There is no one single focal length which is ideal for portraits because the geometry of faces are differ and different in-camera crops are used. If the goal is to flatter the subject the ideal workflow is to:

1) Find the facial angle and shooting distance which flatters the subject the most. It will vary person to person.

2) Then select the focal length which will produce the desired in-camera crop.

As I stated originally an 85mm or a 50mm on a 1.6 crop camera will work fine, depending on what in-camera crop is desired. If shooting with a 50mm the best strategy for flattering most subjects would still be to shoot from 7-8ft away and crop in post-processing instead of simply moving closer to crop in the camera. Moving closer would make the perspective less flattering.

See http://super.nova.org/DPR/Equipment/PortraitLens.html

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
someone mentioned earlier sinking my money into a 70-200 but that was definitely a gift haha. looking at the main options of a 50mm or 85mm i would love to get an 85mm if i had the money but i see those are running around 399 or so. sounds like the 50mm f1.8 is the best bet for the money.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I would love to get my hands on the Mark I version of this lense, as I've heard the build quality went down on the Mark II version. Not that I'm being too fussy, considering the price.

I bought the MKII version, and then found a MKI on craigslist for a steal ($75) so I switched out to that one. Much better build quality.

The 50 1.8 does a good job on portraits, but my favorite portrait lens in my collection is the 135 F2L... it's just magic.

joy.jpg

50mm @ 2.8, ISO 100

baby_jared.jpg

135mm @ 2.5, ISO 200

20061123110603_syd_1352.jpg

135mm @ 2.8, ISO 400

I'm never disappointed with my results from the 50, it's sharp and has a good bokeh. But if I use both lenses in a shoot, when I get to my pictures taken with the 135, I'm still just in awe and the sudden increase in beauty that the lens produces. I have rented the 50mm 1.2L though and it's results are just as stunning as the 135, but about $400 more.

20070817092611_eric.jpg

50mm (1.2L) @ 2.2, ISO 100

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Oreo

Not to belabor the point, but it was you that attempted to correct MacUserSince87 when he said:

Originally Posted by MacUserSince87
Distance to the subject, not focal length, is what controls perspective, such as how big the nose looks relative to the ears. Get too close with any lens and the face will look wider and the nearer nose, arms, feet, etc. will appear larger than normal. Keeping all the body parts a similar distance from the lens also reduces near/far size differences.

And then you said:

"The focal length has a profound influence on perspective, ever try to make a portrait with a wide-angle? (Well, unless you are doing it for the effect on purpose.)"

Again, although you understand the practical aspect of it, you are giving newbie photographers the WRONG information. Focal length does NOT in and of itself cause that effect, it's subject distance.

Yes you are correct in saying a wide angle lens will generally get you closer to the subject, which then causes the distortion, but why not just say that in the first place :)

I only bring this up again to reinforce it for other folks who may not understand the difference.

Cheers

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Again, although you understand the practical aspect of it, you are giving newbie photographers the WRONG information. Focal length does NOT in and of itself cause that effect, it's subject distance.
You have to read my other posts to take what I have posted into context: just like focal length determines the depth of field, this is a meaningless piece of information by itself. And no, I'm not giving wrong information here, because I said that each focal length (rather: viewing angle) and photography situation have typical parameters (such as working distance and effects you would like to achieve).

From a practical standpoint, it is completely irrelevant that you could achieve the same perspective with a wide angle lens than with a tele lens, because that's not the way you would take pictures.

I found his post misleadingly phrased and have objected to that. Note that I haven't said that MacUserSince87's statement was incorrect. He misunderstood my reply and tried to convince me of something I have never disputed. My objection just came from a practical point of view (mostly typical working distance in this case) -- which is much closer with wideangle lenses. The perspective is different with wide-angle lenses, because the typical working distances are. That's not incorrect information nor is it IMO hard to understand.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i purchased the 50mm f1.8 and i'm excited about it coming. seems like an incredible lens for the money and seems like the lens for me at this point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.