Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
To me Half-Life 2 was clearly the superior of those two games. Sure, Doom 3 looked amazing, and had great shooting gameplay, but Half-Life 2 was way superior story and settings wise. It also pushed the shooter field way more than Doom 3.

Talking about Doom games, it really is a crime that Bethesda hasn't brought Doom 2016 to the Mac. Id, left to their own devices, was never as anti-Apple as Bethesda has been. I bought it during a Steam sale, and play it on GeForce Now. I know that someone like Feral or Aspyr could do it justice, and I would gladly pay for it twice!
[doublepost=1568118142][/doublepost]
It seems like I started playing a long time ago and my favorite genre has been FPS so my earliest recollections are Doom, Halo and Duke Nukem, followed closely by the Marathon Trilogy. Marathon really was ahead of its time. Eerie, complex maps, great story line and great graphics for the day.

My all time favorites have been Doom, Quake, Prey, Rage, The Bioshock trilogy, Thief, Borderlands 1 & 2 including the Pre- Sequel (which is really funny if you are an Australian), The Metro series (dark and apocalyptic) has a great original story line, DeusEx; Human Revolution and lastly not forgetting Machinarium which is not an FPS more of a role playing game but with the most original graphics I had ever seen at the time. If you want to test your problem/puzzle solving skills this is a must.

Right now I am playing Tomb Raider; A survivor is born. After having recently replayed a number of the above mentioned games, Rage in particular. This will be my last opportunity after all because when macOS Catalina is introduced next month it will no longer support 32bit games like many of the ones I have mentioned. I have resisted games like Tomb Raider in the past like Batman; Arkham City because my device was not up to the specs and the game-play is so complex, but I am enjoying TR immensely.
It is unlike any other FPS/RPG I have ever played.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to seeing just how many great games we lose because of the 64-bit change-over. So much so, that Catalina won't be a day-one download for me. I'm going to wait and see how many games I have get converted, but 2 bits of good news are: Borderlands 2 just got converted, as did Tomb Raider (along with a Metal upgrade).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Talking about Doom games, it really is a crime that Bethesda hasn't brought Doom 2016 to the Mac. Id, left to their own devices, was never as anti-Apple as Bethesda has been. I bought it during a Steam sale, and play it on GeForce Now. I know that someone like Feral or Aspyr could do it justice, and I would gladly pay for it twice!
I assume they didn't want to spend money porting the ID Tech 6 engine to Mac, and create a new rendering engine from the scratch, since it only supports Vulcan and Direct X. Which, I can totally understand. Rage likely didn't sell too well either, due to mixed reviews (It was kind of good, but damn was it short and the ending was just.. Non-existant?), and I believe that was the only ID Tech 5 game that made it to Mac, and back then OpenGL was still more or less alive on Mac.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I assume they didn't want to spend money porting the ID Tech 6 engine to Mac, and create a new rendering engine from the scratch, since it only supports Vulcan and Direct X. Which, I can totally understand. Rage likely didn't sell too well, due to mixed reviews (It was kind of good, but damn was it short and the ending was just.. Non-existant?), and I believe that was the only ID Tech 5 game that made it to Mac, and back then OpenGL was still more or less alive on Mac.

It's a shame that the Mac is lower on the porting chain than the Switch!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
It's a shame that the Mac is lower on the porting chain than the Switch!
The Nintendo Switch is likely closing in on 40 million sold units, and all of them can play that game, and the thing is bought by gamers. Apple sells around 15-20 million Macs a year, of which only some can actually play the game well, and only a fraction of those are bought by gamers.. So a much lower potential sales base.

But yes, definitely a shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.