Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FavillePhoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
I know this post is relatively old, but, it seems like alot of people have been talking on here, and I was hoping that someone might see this and it might help you out.

In any case, I own a small custom giclee print shop in Mesa, AZ. We specialize in professional, high quality Giclee prints for artists and photographers. We offer a wide range of media options including photo paper, textured paper, watercolor paper, and canvas, and we can print anywhere from 2"x3" to 40"x80". Our prices are average, but our service is great. You always work directly with me (the owner), so you know that you can trust what you hear. We've done work for many of the local artists and photographers in our area. We're one of the best Giclee printers in the area.

So, since you were asking about where to get good, high quality, professional prints done, you can try us out and see if we make the grade. You can check out http://www.favillephoto.com or email any questions you might have to favillephoto@gmail.com

Thanks for your time. Hope we can help some of you complete your printing goals.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
+1 for WHCC and +1 for Costco.

Depends on what you're looking for. Just a straight enlargement, nothing fancy, I usually go with Costco.

WHCC has more paper selection, but requires an account setup and test print process (both free, but time consuming).

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I use both Costco and a local photo shop. Costco came recommended by the photographer who did my wedding pictures and I bought a 20x30 print of a large family photo he took - it looked fantastic. The local photo shop has online ordering and a good selection of paper types so I go there for other types of prints. I just prefer local options since I can go in and talk to the printers and ask questions and such. Being new to a lot of this it is definitely a plus to have that in-person contact.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I use http://www.bayphoto.com and have for years, great printing, good customer service and fast turnaround. They will give you 25% off your first order just mention on the new client sign up sheet you found them from me (mark stagi)

Apr 10, 2007
I know this post is relatively old, but, it seems like alot of people have been talking on here, and I was hoping that someone might see this and it might help you out.

In any case, I own a small custom giclee print shop in Mesa, AZ. We specialize in professional, high quality Giclee prints for artists and photographers. We offer a wide range of media options including photo paper, textured paper, watercolor paper, and canvas, and we can print anywhere from 2"x3" to 40"x80". Our prices are average, but our service is great. You always work directly with me (the owner), so you know that you can trust what you hear. We've done work for many of the local artists and photographers in our area. We're one of the best Giclee printers in the area.

So, since you were asking about where to get good, high quality, professional prints done, you can try us out and see if we make the grade. You can check out http://www.favillephoto.com or email any questions you might have to favillephoto@gmail.com

Thanks for your time. Hope we can help some of you complete your printing goals.

My family lives in mesa, ill check you out when im there.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Tip for large prints from small file size, or p&s cameras

Hi Kjohansen and Jaseone

yes, I realize enlarging an image that was cropped to 1200x800 up to 16x20 would be a stretch - literally. Photoshop alone may not be sufficient to deal with the blur and noise. That's why I am curious about GenuineFractals and Noise Ninja. This image would be a good test for the 10X claim by GenuineFractal, and perhaps using NoiseNinja as well , I might get a result worth printing.

What do you think?

Try this website in the future http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/info/photoshoptip/tip25.html

It helped me print a 20 x 30 picture of a panorama i took, and stitched a few photos together and cropped. Before I used the tips here, I was unable to print higher the 8 x 10 if that. I was using a 2mp point and shoot at the time.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Guys,
Just to clarify for myself...large format photography is the same as large format printing? i.e. you can use the same machines e.t.c.

If that's the case, anyone need to find large format printers in Melbourne, just PM me. I've searched a lot for good places.

- Michael

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Costco has online services. You can go all the way up to canvas and poster sizes. If you go in store and speak to a techy about what your after then they will happily bring you round and adjust everything to your liking.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Just to clarify for myself...large format photography is the same as large format printing? i.e. you can use the same machines e.t.c.

Er, large format photography means using a very large sensor (or film with large dimensions). Wikipedia does a good job of explaining it.

Large format printing is different -- it essentially means printing in a size larger than most consumer equipment (or your corner drugstore's photo lab) can handle.

Printing large format film can't typically be done on the same equipment as 35mm consumer film because of the physical size. However, if you do large-format digital photography, the file types are the same as for consumer digital photography, and they can be printed on the same equipment -- be that standard or large-format printing.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I was personally very unimpressed by my local Costco's large prints. I found a few problems on a few of them. I'm sure there are technical ways in which to describe, but I can only describe them as bad prints, with spots and other artifacts.

Good enough for proofing, but if I had a real business, I'd never show those prints to paying customers.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Hi Kjohansen and Jaseone

yes, I realize enlarging an image that was cropped to 1200x800 up to 16x20 would be a stretch - literally. Photoshop alone may not be sufficient to deal with the blur and noise. That's why I am curious about GenuineFractals and Noise Ninja. This image would be a good test for the 10X claim by GenuineFractal, and perhaps using NoiseNinja as well , I might get a result worth printing.

What do you think?

i can vouch for noise ninja. i'm a night shooter and i use it all the time.

genuine fractals is fine, but it's not magic. at normal viewing distance, your print will likely look fine, but fall apart a bit when viewed closely.

there was a site somewhere online where i found a guy who was testing upsampling via photoshop, genuine fractals, and a mix of the two. very interesting---sorry i don't have the link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.