Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
I'm looking for a recommendation for the best home printer, for both docs and photos, to air print from my Mac.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
"Airprint" is for iOS devices. If what you want is a wireless (wifi) printer..."AirPrint" not required...that increases your options a tremendous amount.

The answer may depend on how much printing you do. Some would say an inkjet is OK for small amounts and a laser is better for quantity. In my case, I don't print much but I got annoyed by the entire inkjet experience. So...I got a Canon Color Laser all-in-one a few years back (paid less than $350 for it) and it has been excellent. Mine is wifi or ethernet but it's connected via ethernet. No driver issues through several OS upgrades. Works great with our Windows computer, also.

If you really want AirPrint for your iOS devices you choices are limited and, I think, not so great.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I have an epson wifi printer (SX455w) works with ios/android out the box with epson print app over wifi.
Epson I find is one of easiest to setup due to app from app store.

I also have a samsung colour laser (c410w) I dont use this with my iphone or ipad never tried.
Only used with imac and macbook over wifi

Epson good all rounder although photos not always the best.
Canon is great and so is photos (printer with 5 inks not 2).
Brother also quite good but photocopies are usually washed out a bit.

I sell and repair printers for our company, if this helps.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
"Airprint" is for iOS devices. If what you want is a wireless (wifi) printer..."AirPrint" not required...that increases your options a tremendous amount.

The answer may depend on how much printing you do. Some would say an inkjet is OK for small amounts and a laser is better for quantity. In my case, I don't print much but I got annoyed by the entire inkjet experience. So...I got a Canon Color Laser all-in-one a few years back (paid less than $350 for it) and it has been excellent. Mine is wifi or ethernet but it's connected via ethernet. No driver issues through several OS upgrades. Works great with our Windows computer, also.

If you really want AirPrint for your iOS devices you choices are limited and, I think, not so great.

Thanks for responding. Can I wifi print from an iPhone and iPad? If so then I don't need air print.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
yes you can.

link printer with your router first then install the app for said printer manufacturer and ur away.

recommend a printer with screen as easier to link it to router that way.
can do it all on the printer without having to use a pc/mac to set it up.

Reactions: Lizziejh

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Ok I think I understand. Does any printer link to my iPhone iPad via wifi or just specific ones?

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
most wifi printers will link put there are a few that do not support ios/android so do your research before buying.

I know ALL epson bar CD printing units works with ios/android
I know some brother and canon are not mobile compatible.

Just beware the new epson units ink are expensive.
I sold an new but older model that takes number 18XL inks (fountain pen) as we sell compatibles at £3.99 each or £11.90 a set.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
At home (sometimes I work from home) I have an HP D110 series all-in-one, while at the office I have an HP Pro 8610 (also an all-in-one). Both of them work flawlessly with my mac, ipad and iphone. Besides printing wirelessly you can also scan wirelessly-directly from iOS devices and computers.

Also, they both offer email-to-the-printer for when you are out and about and someone needs urgent printing of a document you have. You just email the file to the printer's email address and it prints it without needing you to be at the office.

The 8610 offers direct-connection (you do not need connecting to the router), so this comes in handy when a patient has some document on their iPad/iPhone that needs printing, they connect directly to the printer without having to had the password to my office's wifi.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
most wifi printers will link put there are a few that do not support ios/android so do your research before buying.

I know ALL epson bar CD printing units works with ios/android
I know some brother and canon are not mobile compatible.

Just beware the new epson units ink are expensive.
I sold an new but older model that takes number 18XL inks (fountain pen) as we sell compatibles at £3.99 each or £11.90 a set.

Thank you very much. I'm grateful for your help.
[doublepost=1485973430][/doublepost]
At home (sometimes I work from home) I have an HP D110 series all-in-one, while at the office I have an HP Pro 8610 (also an all-in-one). Both of them work flawlessly with my mac, ipad and iphone. Besides printing wirelessly you can also scan wirelessly-directly from iOS devices and computers.

Also, they both offer email-to-the-printer for when you are out and about and someone needs urgent printing of a document you have. You just email the file to the printer's email address and it prints it without needing you to be at the office.

The 8610 offers direct-connection (you do not need connecting to the router), so this comes in handy when a patient has some document on their iPad/iPhone that needs printing, they connect directly to the printer without having to had the password to my office's wifi.

Thanks, that sounds like one to investigate.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Keep in mind that most small/home ink jet printers have expensive ink, so the cost of printing goes well beyond the initial cost of the printer. Also, ink jet printers typically have the issue of: if you don't use them often, the print heads clog, and the fix is shoving large amounts of ink through them via the "cleaning" function. So:

• Using an ink jet printer very frequently = Expensive
• Using an ink jet printer very infrequently = Expensive

It can be a bit tricky to find the balance, at least it has been traditionally. Plan to print out a page with every color on it at least once a month, and some printer behave better if it is once a week or more.

Historically, Epson printers have had some of the best photo quality, but have been some of the most likely to have print head clogging issues. Can't speak to recent models to say if this has improved much....

As for the best/most popular ink jets for Macs: Epson, HP, Canon.

Check out some reviews to get an idea of the main things to consider: features, quality, operating costs, etc.

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Yes agree with above inkjet do clog if not used regular.

I found canon tend to print photos best as the make 3 shades of magenta and cyan without having 3 of each unlike some older epsons.

For infrequent use brother can last a few months without clogging.
but brother has the fewest mobile ready printers.

Having said that my own epson SX445W see little use and has not clogged on me yet.
works with all my apple macs and ipads and iphones plus android tablets.

My fiancee uses it to scan documents to her ipad air 2.
This is an old model but you get the idea.

look at the WF2510W or which ever workforce model is in your country.
just try get slightly older model as new inks cost too much as I said above.
the 2510w takes number 18/18xl and can get cheap compatibles.
newer models takes number 29/29xl and even compatibles are expensive due to epson chip that others have to buy rights from epson.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
If you don't need colour photo printing then never buy an inkjet. Their running costs are absurdly high in comparison to lasers. If your ink doesn't dry out first most of it gets wasted cleaning the heads every time you fire it up. The manufacturer's almost give away the printer because they know you will spend many times over the odds on ink.

Years ago lasers used to cost quite a lot but my advice would largely still stand even back then. These days you have no excuse not to go with a laser because you can get very capable models for a very reasonable price.

There are a number of reputable laser brands. I'm partial to Brother, they're reliable workhorses.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you don't need colour photo printing then never buy an inkjet. Their running costs are absurdly high in comparison to lasers. If your ink doesn't dry out first most of it gets wasted cleaning the heads every time you fire it up. The manufacturer's almost give away the printer because they know you will spend many times over the odds on ink.

Years ago lasers used to cost quite a lot but my advice would largely still stand even back then. These days you have no excuse not to go with a laser because you can get very capable models for a very reasonable price.

There are a number of reputable laser brands. I'm partial to Brother, they're reliable workhorses.
I agree in every aspect. I've had a black and white Brother laser printer for a year now and don't know why I didn't switch sooner. For color prints, I just do Walmart or Walgreens or an online service.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I never ever turn my epson inkjet off.

so it does not clean heads much only when needed.
Everytime you turn a printer on and off it cleans, epson wastes upto 6ml in a clean cycle (i measured it, external waste ink tank).

Also if left on the head is kept warm in sleep mode to prevent heads clogging up.
2 years on not yet had a blocked head, except when changed a cartridge once and got air in the system.

If you get an inkjet, never turn it off. saves ink and money :)

I love my colour laser but the drum is failing now and almost £100 for new one :(

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Historically, Epson printers have had some of the best photo quality, but have been some of the most likely to have print head clogging issues. Can't speak to recent models to say if this has improved much....

YES, same here. so I always have a cleaning kit around my printer in case it gets clogged. This is what I use
http://www.inkrepublic.com/iRemove.asp

It works perfectly for Epson printers.
[doublepost=1486536377][/doublepost]

YES, same here. so I always have a cleaning kit around my printer in case it gets clogged. This is what I use
http://www.inkrepublic.com/iRemove.asp

It works perfectly for Epson printers.

Reactions: lbdesign

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I have an epson wifi printer (SX455w) works with ios/android out the box with epson print app over wifi.
Epson I find is one of easiest to setup due to app from app store.

I also have a samsung colour laser (c410w) I dont use this with my iphone or ipad never tried.
Only used with imac and macbook over wifi

Epson good all rounder although photos not always the best.
Canon is great and so is photos (printer with 5 inks not 2).
Brother also quite good but photocopies are usually washed out a bit.

I sell and repair printers for our company, if this helps.

Hello,

Maybe you can give me a 'foolproof' workflow fro connecting my Epson 3880 Pro printer to my BT6 modem/hub. I know Epson cannot/will not help in this matter. I have tried following the the onboard instructions from the 3880 screen with no success; in that when going to the BTHub management pages the printer does not appear and the port I am using shows empty and no activity (lights flashing).

I have wanted to be able to print from my MacBook Pro over the network ever since buying it and the 3880 having an Ethernet port and internal hardware was one of the reasons for purchasing it. Three+ years later and nothing doing?

No complaints from me if you cannot help:) Just a thought.

Regards Sharkey

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Hello,

Maybe you can give me a 'foolproof' workflow fro connecting my Epson 3880 Pro printer to my BT6 modem/hub. I know Epson cannot/will not help in this matter. I have tried following the the onboard instructions from the 3880 screen with no success; in that when going to the BTHub management pages the printer does not appear and the port I am using shows empty and no activity (lights flashing).

I have wanted to be able to print from my MacBook Pro over the network ever since buying it and the 3880 having an Ethernet port and internal hardware was one of the reasons for purchasing it. Three+ years later and nothing doing?

No complaints from me if you cannot help:) Just a thought.

Regards Sharkey

What steps are you taking? That printer is supposed to be Bonjour enabled and merely connecting to the router via Ethernet is supposed to work with the default settings.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
What steps are you taking? That printer is supposed to be Bonjour enabled and merely connecting to the router via Ethernet is supposed to work with the default settings.

Thank you for the response Brian.

Firstly I have unable to be absolutely sure which/what cable to connect the printer to the router:confused: as the names of the cables available seem to be multifaceted and multifunctional.

After connecting with the cables I have inhouse I have been unable fro the Mac to find the Printer no matter what instructions Epson/BT/Mac I follow.

If, as you say, the printer should communicate automatically on connection then either I do not know where to look or it does not function as described.

I recognise my limitations with the Ethernet; not understanding the terminology is the most limiting factor and not getting any comprehensible backup from suppliers is the next. Of course my dumness does not help.

Regards. Sharkey

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
An Ethernet cable from an ethernet port on the router to the ethernet port on the printer.

If you've been monkeying around with network settings on the printer then you might have to reset them to default.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
After years of using a Canon color inkjet all-in-one and hating it (ink was always running out, never printed docs beautifully and photo prints from Shutterfly were better) we went with a Brother laser all-in-one and LOVE it. It prints and scans wirelessly, is AirPrint compatible and works quickly even when in standby. Hell it even scans wirelessly with to its iOS app or directly to Windows (haven't tried in the Mac) without extra driver installs.

For photos we send them to Shutterfly and pick them up at the nearest 1 hour photo. Much better prints, cheap, and we don't have to deal with expensive color ink that's never ready to print. That alone has saved us tons.

We bought the HL-L2380DW as a refurb from Brother on Amazon for $99. We also got High Yield toner from a 3rd party for $15. I won't go back to inkjets.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Because the purchase price of a printer is a drop in the bucket compared to ink (for every one dollar a person spends on the outright purchase price of the printer, they may spend $10-100+ on ink/toner over the printer's lifespan), aftermarket ink/toner options drive my purchasing decisions.

So for me, the best printer is the one where generic ink cartridges of reasonable quality that fit well and work well are readily available for a reasonable price - so I avoid any printer that does not play well with aftermarket, of ones that the Maker tries to force "OEM-only."

The Canon Pixma MG7520 is perfect for me, because it does reasonably good quality photos, and has many outstanding aftermarket cartridges available for 30 cents to $1 each. I use one of the "higher end" aftermarket cartridges that cost about $1.05 each, made by a company called Arthur Imaging, and photo quality is actually superior to the OEM cartridges that cost $25 each. It is an ink-hungry printer, which is a moot point since I pay 1/25th the price for ink than I would if I was buying OEM. I got mine for like $100 and have printed at least 10,000-15,000 pages with it (most of which were a mix of black + color). If it broke today, tomorrow I would go out and buy whatever model replaced it, provided that model used the same cartridge sizes and plays equally nice with aftermarket.

Same goes for laser printers - my older HP works with generic toner, and several brands make aftermarket toner in the $10-20 range that is almost as dark and crisp as the factory toner that costs $100. If I needed to replace it, I'd only buy a model that plays nice with aftermarket toner, and one with a reasonable aftermarket selection.

Reactions: George Dawes

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I have a hp photo smart connected to home network,can print from MacBook,PC,iPhones and iPads wirelessly,and at least where I live,ink cartridges is available in all electronics stores,and larger grocery stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.