Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I have an HP Envy 4300 series. It supports air print from my phone and via wireless. It's been solid for me for the money. I think they are well under $100 now. I think the only thing I would get in my next printer is a document feeder specifically for scanning purposes. It's a pain scanning one sheet at a time on the glass.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Epsons clog very easy if you don't use them every day. I won't buy one again because of that. HP is where it's at.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
If you have an epson or any inkjet... NEVER turn it off this is why they block!

if left on the heads are kept warm and thus clog less often!

my epson is NEVER turned off and never has an issue.

also every power cycle of an inkjet cleans the head wasting your ink and filling the waste ink tank.
when full the printer stops working (except HPs these just overflow and leak)

another reason to buy laser!
When tanks full need clean them and reset the overflow counter.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
If you have an epson or any inkjet... NEVER turn it off this is why they block!

if left on the heads are kept warm and thus clog less often!

my epson is NEVER turned off and never has an issue.

also every power cycle of an inkjet cleans the head wasting your ink and filling the waste ink tank.
when full the printer stops working (except HPs these just overflow and leak)

another reason to buy laser!
When tanks full need clean them and reset the overflow counter.

I never turned mine off and it clogged. The key is you have to print every day for it to not clog. It's common knowledge on Epsons. I've owned 3 Epsons and never will again as every single one of them didn't last a year without clogging.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
my epson not been used for 10 months!

just printed a photo with not blockages.

Best inkjets not NOT blocking is brother due to head design.

I like epsons personally but I have never had issues but know of friends who have.
Oh i'm also a printer engineer at my work.

I clean and reset many an epson/canon/brother printers for customers.
waste ink tanks not nice to clean out!

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I never turned mine off and it clogged. The key is you have to print every day for it to not clog. It's common knowledge on Epsons. I've owned 3 Epsons and never will again as every single one of them didn't last a year without clogging.
I am on my second Epson because i wanted a new one with the precision core print heads. My old one worked for almost 3 years with minimal head cleaning needed. So far the new one is 4-5 months old and haven't cleaned the printheads once. We also sometimes go almost 2 weeks without printing something and never turn the printer off. Works just fine.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I am on my second Epson because i wanted a new one with the precision core print heads. My old one worked for almost 3 years with minimal head cleaning needed. So far the new one is 4-5 months old and haven't cleaned the printheads once. We also sometimes go almost 2 weeks without printing something and never turn the printer off. Works just fine.

You got lucky. I use to repair HP, Epson, Samsung, Lexmark printers. Epson was the worst for clogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hobowankenobi

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Far from it. I've had several and all of them died within a year with clogged print heads/hoses.
[doublepost=1523663029][/doublepost]

You got lucky. I use to repair HP, Epson, Samsung, Lexmark printers. Epson was the worst for clogs.
Will keep this in mind when it's time to replace this one. Until then.............

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
The best home printer is a black and white Brother laser and then just get your photos professionally printed (seriously, how many photos are you really printing that you need that functionality at your fingertips?). You can find them for close to $50 on sale. You can even get multifunction ones, like the HLL2380DW, for $100. They'll last for years and you'll never have to deal with clogs, slow prints, minutes of watching the heads move back and forth and wondering what the hell the printer is doing, overpriced ink, overpriced photo paper, dried-out ink, etc. Ink jets are terrible.

Last edited:

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
The best home printer is a black and white Brother laser and then just get your photos professionally printed (seriously, how many photos are you really printing that you need that functionality at your fingertips?). You can find them for close to $50 on sale. You can even get multifunction ones, like the HLL2380DW, for $100. They'll last for years and you'll never have to deal with clogs, slow prints, minutes of watching the heads move back and forth and wondering what the hell the printer is doing, overpriced ink, overpriced photo paper, dried-out ink, etc. Ink jets are terrible.

Yep, that's why I own a HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP-477dfw now and it does it all. In 2 years, I am just starting to replace the cartridges now. It may not do photos, but I don't need that which I never do anyways. If I do, Walgreens can do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.