Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
A friend of mine bought a Promaster SystemPro 1N ($139.00 or so), and a Promaster SystemPro 3-way head ($49.00) for a total of $189.00. He really likes it. I have been using an old Velbon video camera tripod for years, but just lost the wing nut that tightens the head on the tripod :mad:

I am thinking of the Promaster above. The best tripods can be quite expensive, and this one is not too bad, although a little heavy.

I was looking at the Promaster at the local shop and it seems very nice and sturdy yet the one they had was some what heavy if you consider 5lbs. heavy without the head. I don't mind but I'm sure in time I might.
Also to the OP, while looking check out the leg size (diameter) as some seem to very with price. As above, the Promaster seemed to have very thick legs and was very stable compaired to another unit which seemed to have thin and "shaky" legs. I wish more units were displayed at some shops such as CF, compared to aluminum and so on.
I can only say I am purchasing a Bogen/Manfrotto unit, with a nice head and I would hope it will be my last for a long time to come. I believe that the 190"XXX" series support about 11lbs. which if you look around at your gear (I'll just example here) a D300 is around 3lbs. by itself and say a 80-400mm lens is around 3.5-4lbs. plus add in an extra battery adapter @ 1-2lbs and there is a ballpark. I also guess add the weight of the head, 2-3lbs.?
Good luck and enjoy your choice.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hey guys, a quick tripod/head question:

I recently picked up an 808RC4 Bogen head, which is rate for 11 pounds (and weighs 3 pounds itself.)

808RC4.jpg

I was looking for some new tripod legs (the Bogen 190XDB for example) and was wondering how the numbers work for those legs, which are also rated for 11 pounds. Does that mean that I can have only 8 pounds of gear plus the head?

190XDB.jpg

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hey guys, a quick tripod/head question:

I recently picked up an 808RC4 Bogen head, which is rate for 11 pounds (and weighs 3 pounds itself.)

I was looking for some new tripod legs (the Bogen 190XDB for example) and was wondering how the numbers work for those legs, which are also rated for 11 pounds. Does that mean that I can have only 8 pounds of gear plus the head?

I think the capacity rating for a tripod head is more related to torque on the swivel mechanisms and their locking ability than an absolute weight rating. I think the capacity of the legs probably is more of an absolute weight rating.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Amazing how tripods inspire such heated debate...

As a photographer who uses a tripod for 75% of my pix, the best one, IMO, is the one you take with you.

I see so many photographers trying to photograph sunsets, or interiors, or some other kind of low-light scenario, without a tripod. It means they're always making compromises.

I have a very lightweight tripod that straps to my camera bag. OK, it's not as stable as something three times the weight, but, crucially, I take it everywhere. If was bigger, and heavier, I'm sure I'd find an excuse to leave it at home... :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does that mean that I can have only 8 pounds of gear plus the head?

Do you have an 11 pound camera system? Hard to get a Nikon or Canon up to that weight. I think even the Mamiya 6x7 system I used to use was lighter than that. The ratings Bogen uses are conservative. If one of their tripods is rated for 11 pounds it will hold 22. I would not worry about the weight of the head unless you are right on the edge of the weight limit.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Doylem, I agree completely. That's why I buckled down and spent the extra money to get a lower-end-but-still-well-regarded carbon fiber tripod (Manfrotto 190CXPro4) and a good, lightweight head (Acratech Ultimate Ballhead). The whole rig weighs under four pounds, which is pretty good, and it's rated for 11 pounds/5 kilograms; but even being at the lower end it cost a bit over $600, which is much more than some people will even consider paying (and then you still have to buy plates).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Do you have an 11 pound camera system? Hard to get a Nikon or Canon up to that weight. I think even the Mamiya 6x7 system I used to use was lighter than that. The ratings Bogen uses are conservative. If one of their tripods is rated for 11 pounds it will hold 22. I would not worry about the weight of the head unless you are right on the edge of the weight limit.

Yeah, I'd imagine if you're lugging around exotic zoom lenses for birding or whatnot, the weight of the tripod is probably not your biggest concern. :D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Do you have an 11 pound camera system? Hard to get a Nikon or Canon up to that weight. I think even the Mamiya 6x7 system I used to use was lighter than that.

Well, given that the tripod head is 3 pounds, camera body is 3.5 pounds, and a long lens can be 3-5 pounds -- yes!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Well, given that the tripod head is 3 pounds, camera body is 3.5 pounds, and a long lens can be 3-5 pounds -- yes!

The 1Ds Mark III is 3.5 pounds? Wow! I didn't realize it was that heavy. My D700 is a bit over 2 pounds, and I thought THAT was heavy... :D

Of course now that you mention it, the D3 is somewhere around 3 pounds - which is why I was holding out hope for the D700.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.