Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I am curious if there is a way to easily add my copyright info to a large batch of photos. I use aperture to manage my photos. I use Photoshop for some editing. I want to paste my name or website to a large batch of photos without going through each one. Any ideas or direction would be great.

jmann

macrumors 604
I am curious if there is a way to easily add my copyright info to a large batch of photos. I use aperture to manage my photos. I use Photoshop for some editing. I want to paste my name or website to a large batch of photos without going through each one. Any ideas or direction would be great.

Use photoshop and create an process in the automator, to add a name to each one. It is simple.

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Im not familiar with this process, I am fairly new to Photoshop. Could you break it down for me?

Thanks!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'd be inclined to do it all in Aperture, and a quick search revealed this free plug-in that says it will add copyright information along with other stuff during the export process: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/aperture/apertureborderfx.html Since I don't use Aperture, I'll leave it to you to do a more exhaustive search if this tool doesn't meet your needs.

I use Lightroom, and there is a donation-ware export plug-in available for that product that lets me add text, borders, and graphic watermarks to exported images. The text fields can access EXIF and IPTC fields stored within the image. One of the IPTC fields I set in my camera to be recorded with every image I take is the copyright field. I use that plus the year portion of the capture date to create a copyright label for the image when it is exported.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I use Lightroom, and there is a donation-ware export plug-in available for that product that lets me add text, borders, and graphic watermarks to exported images. The text fields can access EXIF and IPTC fields stored within the image. One of the IPTC fields I set in my camera to be recorded with every image I take is the copyright field. I use that plus the year portion of the capture date to create a copyright label for the image when it is exported.

Do you have a link?

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Nah...photoshop action is all you need.
Just open one of your image. Create an action. While it is creating proceed in to what you would do normally to add your copyright info. Once it's done. Stop your action. For batch...just go to File > Automation > Batch. Then pick the folder you want to batch and the action. That's all you have to do.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Only problem with using a Photoshop action after you've imported into Aperture is that you're creating 2 versions when you only need one...

Of course, this is easily absolved by applying the action after you've exported.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I recommend it! It's very useful.

I definitely recommend it. I have a purchased Photoshop script I was using to add that information to proofs, but having to export from LR then subsequently process the images in PS was a PITA. It is really nice to be able to do what I need in one program.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Adobe Bridge would be the simplest solution. It allows you to create and save metadata templates and then apply them individually or in batches. Much simpler than messing around with actions in Photoshop.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Adobe Bridge would be the simplest solution. It allows you to create and save metadata templates and then apply them individually or in batches. Much simpler than messing around with actions in Photoshop.

The OP isn't talking about metadata management, although doing a proper job of that does make watermarking easier.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
In Aperture 2 it is really simple.

Make a copyright template .psd file with transparent background in Photoshop or Elements, then whenever you export a file out of Aperture (this opens up an options window) there is a box to check if you want to add a watermark to the exports as you choose export type, size, and quality.

You can even adjust transparency of the watermark and have Aperture scale it to the image. I do this to hundreds of files at once as I make copies of originals resized for web sharing. Piece of cake...;)

In the following image, all I did was tell Aperture to scale watermark and use 30% transparency, the photo is from a batch of 100 all done at once!

_2216467.jpg

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I will give a few of the suggestions a try. I appreciate all the help!

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Is there any other ways of doing this for those of us who cannot afford Photoshop. Perhaps a small app is available somewhere to do this that would not cost the earth. I used to have one on my Windows Machine but its not available for the Mac and I could do with something simple but effective. ?

Any help appreciated.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Is there any other ways of doing this for those of us who cannot afford Photoshop. Perhaps a small app is available somewhere to do this that would not cost the earth. I used to have one on my Windows Machine but its not available for the Mac and I could do with something simple but effective. ?

Any help appreciated.

Try PicMark, simple and FREE
http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download5815.html

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Any help appreciated.

Imagemagic will do what you need and it's free. Imagemagic is really a set of small programs designed specifically for scripting batch image editing tasks. I think the one you need is caled "morify" or soething like that. It can add text over an image using any font or size. It will apply the changes over a entire folder of fles

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Lok at this. I think you want to use at least the "-comment" switch and likely others
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/mogrify.php

rhythmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
NYC
Try iWatermark....its $20, but it will more than do what you require, (batch watermark).... just drag a folder of images onto the app... hit start and presto!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Cheers Chris. As a newbie, Command Line stuff scares me. :eek:

Then see the post above. Some guy selling a one-function program for people who can't type. The trouble is that you need 100 one-function programs to do 100 things. Like for example the guy who asked the question here yesterday about how to put the image files's file name in the image. Or the guy who asked a while back how to add white borders or the other one who asked about converting a few hundred .jpg files to some other format. These questions come up all the time. Take th time to read the imagemagic web page and you will be set to handle all of these "batch processing" tasks and hundreds more.

All that said "why bother". The law gives you copyright even if you don't mark the content.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
All that said "why bother". The law gives you copyright even if you don't mark the content.
As people are less likely to steal images with a watermark on. Duh! And if they do at least there's a referral back to you.
I've had images used without permision by a large European newpaper from one of several galleries on a long term project I've been working on. They didn't take any for the gallery with watermarked images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.