Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What do you mean by view mode in display settings
I’m on an iPad Pro 11” and im only seeing this:

Well turns out it was unrelated and I was just misremembering the number of icons. And I guess that’s just a thing on 12.9” models then.

Attachments

• 9549D883-F471-49E4-89C1-8F0AAF344E5F.jpeg
    9549D883-F471-49E4-89C1-8F0AAF344E5F.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: NC12

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Well turns out it was unrelated and I was just misremembering the number of icons. And I guess that’s just a thing on 12.9” models then.
Yeah, I confirm, it's 12.9 only, but it doesn't change the number of icons, just makes them bigger

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's not the "More/Bigger" thing in Home Screen settings, but I meant the View mode in Display settings.

I may be misremembering how many rows there used to be though?
I honestly never thought so much about it on the iPad, but I have 4 rows (not counting the dock)

Excellent :)

I'll show you :)
View attachment 1804124
See that in the lower right hand corner, where it says EN? That's the keyboard buttons for iPadOS 15 when a physical keyboard is attached (minimised). On iPadOS 14 you couldn't make it small. It would always be a bar at the bottom of the screen, about the size of the "332 Notes" label section. Taking up space on any screen. And in some apps obscuring some of the UI.

Miku has 'Hit Dice Rolled' is that like Pikemon in iMessages, short mini-games but here in notes?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah, I confirm, it's 12.9 only, but it doesn't change the number of icons, just makes them bigger

Cheers, thanks for the info. I consider myself somewhat of a macOS expert but my iOS/iPadOS info isn't always entirely comprehensive :p - At least not with things like this, I can code for the platform just fine, haha

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah, 6 x 5 icons on iPadOS14 to 6 x 4 on iPadOS15 is a visual and functional downgrade.

Obviously we’ll get used to it as we do with all changes, but I do hope they have an option to bring back the desktop widget sidebar (Today View) because I like having the clock and 6x5 icons. Also, I don’t really need every widget on my desktop so having quick scrollable access to the Today View widgets allows me to get easy access to more widgets in less space.

iPadOS 14 vs iPadOS 15
View attachment 1804122 View attachment 1804123
Apple will quote “consistent experience” to defend this design decision I believe. Whether we take it or not is irrelevant.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You may not have a choice. Apple is pretty quick to stop signing prior versions. Eventually, 15 will get you.
Which will only affect those who stays at older versions as long as they try to do a DFU restore or upgrade to a newer minor version.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have no doubt many will disagree and really like iPadOS 15, but for me at this point it seems that it only offers small advantages that do not make up for the drawbacks
I find that for me, iPadOS 15 doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but it continues to introduce a slew of small but nice enhancements to the overall user experience.

Personally, I do like the new multitasking UI, App Library, widgets, and quick note. No more having to use the Smart Keyboard to search for an app in spotlight just so I can multitask with it.
1. they went back to less icons per page... They removed a row (4 instead of 5) and if I keep widgets in the the first home screen just like before, I only have lines of 4 icons instead of 6. They let you put 1 more icon in the dock but this is far from making up for it.... Honestly I only care about a couple of widgets and they were already fine in previous iPadOS versions...
I initially felt the same way too after updating to the public beta, but I decided to embrace home screen widgets entirely and I am liking the experience more so than having 30 apps and side widgets only on the first screen.

Here’s what mine currently looks like.
9783a2059af75cb03bab3cb1729a88a0.png

85a454f4dc2587d4412da70a33ef01f0.png

It feels like this is what Apple is also aiming for - making the experience of having only apps so bad that it pushes more people towards filling their homescreen with widgets. And the more the better.
2. I really dislike changes in Safari, the bigger fonts of the tabs mean you can see less and they removed the tab overview, which was a feature I used a lot when I have many tabs open... Also now the downloads are an extra step away, since they no longer have a button but are in the tab menu...
What annoys me more currently is that everything is hidden in a menu, even the reload function. I think Apple definitely went a step too far in trying to streamline the page.
1. App library is of almost no use to me, since the icons are grouped in a way that does not work for me....
I like how it presents me with all the apps present on my iPad, making it easier to switch to another app or trigger multitasking. Especially when I use widgets and more and more of my apps are hidden away.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
3. The multitasking icons are nice, but honestly it does not change things fundamentally, so not a big deal...
This fixes my main issues with 14 which is easily adding an app which is not in my dock to split screen. It is OS15's killer app as far as Im concerned.
4. iPhone apps in landscape is a nice feature, but again, I basically use no iPhone app on iPad...
Instagram is the only app I use which doesn't support iPad or split-screen. So it will be nice not to have to keep it in full screen portrait view.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know many don’t care about widgets but got to say I think I won’t have many apps on my iPad home screen and be mainly widgets. Having App Library in the dock will be ideal and far more useful than on the iPhone

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I agree. But the spacing definitely looks weird Now

Basically the smaller widget size replaces 1 app icon. If they were to space it in a way that the smaller widget size replaces 4 app icons (1 in each corner of the widget), 8 icons for the rectangular widget (4x2) and 16 for the larger square widget

6 large square widgets can fit a page so that would be 6 x 16 = 96 apps on 1 page

I’d actually like to have that option as a setting.

Reactions: Digitalguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.