Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi,

I may be missing something obvious here so forgive me if this sounds dumb.

I have never had any use for the health and fitness features that the iPhone and iOS has to offer, but I have just returned from a holiday where I did do a fair amount of walking, all the time having my iPhone on me.

When I go into the health app, it appears that my iPhone has tracked all my walking, but it is hard to see how much walking I did (whether by steps or miles/km) overall and on specific days.

I have loads of little segments of data under the 'All Recorded Data' screen, and the graphs do seem to give some sort of consolidation of the data, but it is not the easiest to read as the graphs are small.

I want to be able to see how much walking I did on xx/xx/xxxx. Does the built in health app allow me to see the data presented like this in a clear way? Do I need another app to show me this?

Thanks

zackattack784

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Hi,

I have never had any use for the health and fitness features that the iPhone and iOS has to offer, but I have just returned from a holiday where I did do a fair amount of walking, all the time having my iPhone on me.

When I go into the health app, it appears that my iPhone has tracked all my walking, but it is hard to see how much walking I did (whether by steps or miles/km) overall and on specific days.

I have loads of little segments of data under the 'All Recorded Data' screen, and the graphs do seem to give some sort of consolidation of the data, but it is not the easiest to read as the graphs are small.

I want to be able to see how much walking I did on xx/xx/xxxx. Does the built in health app allow me to see the data presented like this in a clear way? Do I need another app to show me this?

Thanks
Not that I know of and I've spent a long time looking because I would love the EXACT same functionality you're describing. I'm not sure how such a worthless app made it through apples testing and QA development but it doesn't give me much hope for their future iOS releases.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

the way you want your steps data to be shown is not possible in apple's Health app.

i actually like apple's Health app very much. it does provide great consolidated overviews of all your source apps' information.
and this is the purpose and intent of what apple's Health app was designed to do. it is data repository that stores other app's information.

actually my iPhone is only an iPhone 5. so in my case Health doesn't even track steps independently as it does on iPhone 5s and above. in my case I must use an independent steps tracking app such as Withings or whatever. then that app's data is shown graphically in Health.

but your point is well taken, to show more precisely, for example, hour by hour, or even route that was walked, and the actual pace of the walk, you need to use a 3rd party app. i don't think it was apple's original intention with Health to show much more than the general trend in a graphic format.

but apple watch changes everything. i think apple will give more and more of its own time to making basic great health and fitness apps, while still leaving the more complicated and involved tracking to independent 3rd party app developers.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for the responses. Glad I am not the only one baffled by the Health app and the way it presents its data.

While I was on holiday and was walking around the different places, I am sure that the health app would have been keeping track of my location using GPS data.

It would be great a to see a map of my routes etc.

But I would settle for just a nice way to see that on day x I walked x miles.

There is a section in the health app when you tap on the graphs that takes you do an "All recorded data", which is a list of distances taken at like 5-7 minute intervals. And there are HUNDREDS of entries that really give you no useful information at all.

From using the graphs and the day/week/month tabs etc, you can just about make a guess as that you walked x miles on day x. But it seems so silly not to be able to see in detail what you did on day x

I have used Breeze by RunKeeper since day one. It's a really pretty app.

Looking for this now - but can't seem to find it. Maybe not available in the UK. Will keep checking thanks :)

There must be a nice 3rd party application that can grab information stored on the phone about location and pedometer data and present me a nice map with where i went in dates I select?

It seems like such an obvious thing that I am flabbergasted if there isn't an app that does this.

zackattack784

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for the responses. Glad I am not the only one baffled by the Health app and the way it presents its data.

While I was on holiday and was walking around the different places, I am sure that the health app would have been keeping track of my location using GPS data.

It would be great a to see a map of my routes etc.

But I would settle for just a nice way to see that on day x I walked x miles.

There is a section in the health app when you tap on the graphs that takes you do an "All recorded data", which is a list of distances taken at like 5-7 minute intervals. And there are HUNDREDS of entries that really give you no useful information at all.

From using the graphs and the day/week/month tabs etc, you can just about make a guess as that you walked x miles on day x. But it seems so silly not to be able to see in detail what you did on day x

Looking for this now - but can't seem to find it. Maybe not available in the UK. Will keep checking thanks :)

There must be a nice 3rd party application that can grab information stored on the phone about location and pedometer data and present me a nice map with where i went in dates I select?

It seems like such an obvious thing that I am flabbergasted if there isn't an app that does this.
The health app doesn't use gps for step tracking. Think about how quick your battery would die if it used gps all day :eek:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

app you want is called Moves. its in the app store via iTunes. by a development group called ProtoGeo. its free. gives you very detailed and also editable maps of and of all your locations throughout the day, and figures out if you walked, jogged, or rode in a car. all mapped.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
app you want is called Moves. its in the app store via iTunes. by a development group called ProtoGeo. its free. gives you very detailed and also editable maps of and of all your locations throughout the day, and figures out if you walked, jogged, or rode in a car. all mapped.

I actually had installed Moves before going away and I agree that it did seem to fit the bill. However, cause I was away and roaming, I turned off background refresh for all apps and Moves only seems to work when that is enabled. Therefore all the walking I did for those 2 weeks wasn't registered by Moves. It is a bit odd cause you would have thought the app would use the same data recorded by Health app. Maybe I am missing something?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Pedometer++ is a good app, but unfortunately it doesn't have GPS built-in. It does, however show steps, approximate distance, and approximate flights of stairs.

It also lets you set a daily goal for number of steps, and includes a today widget for quickly checking on the day's progress.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, I have only just realized that Runkeeper discontinued Breeze, which is why you couldn't find it in the store. :( Sad, it was a very nice app. Although really disturbing that every time I tried opening it today, it would lock up my iPhone and force a restart. :eek:

Bee17

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
Hi,

Thanks

Thanks, I was looking this up as I was really cross that having updated to 1OS 10.2 yesterday the week/month / year data so easily displayed on the 9 disappeared (and the inane mini video "explanations" are of a useless condescension that begger belief - they are adverts)
Having looked around this morning you can see it, but it is less good than the older version. But thankfully still visible:
Tap on Health App then on the red Activity square
If you have chosen favourites (then you will have them as red oblongs eg "steps" or "walking and running distance"
Tap on the one you wish to look at and you can toggle on the upper bar between day, week, month and year
I cannot seem to put them in the order I want, they go alphabetically
Alternatively from the opening page in the bottom list "Health Data / Today / Sources / Med ID" press on Today and you get to the oblongs like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.