Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Saw a post on Reddit and someone had found evidence of black AirPods in the latest version on macOS Sierra but didn't post a picture. I booted up my Mac, followed the path he used and found the image.

I really hope Apple release AirPods in black and surprise us on Thursday by announcing them.

Just thought I'd share this.

EDIT: I know it's just an icon but this surely means something. Hopefully they're at least thinking about it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.13.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.13.53 pm.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,773

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Saw a post on Reddit and someone had found evidence of black AirPods in the latest version on macOS Sierra but didn't post a picture. I booted up my Mac, followed the path he used and found the image.

I really hope Apple release AirPods in black and surprise us on Thursday by announcing them.

EDIT: I know it's just an icon but this surely means something. Hopefully they're at least thinking about it.
Probably not, most likely just a silhouette for them in a Settings page or Bluetooth pairing page
Sorry bro

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Probably not, most likely just a silhouette for them in a Settings page or Bluetooth pairing page
Sorry bro

Agreed. They usually have these icons shown on the top bar which is white in color, which probably explains why the icon is black

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Black would be nice, but if I was going to buy anything with a W1 chip in it it'd be the solo3 or a hopefully unannounced third party set that didn't suck.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Sorry bro

Someone speculated that dark AirPods icon is for when your menu bar is in normal mode (and white one in Dark Mode of course), which sound ridiculous but making sense if you looks at macOS menu bar.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple's goal is that the jet black ones won't come out until a couple of months after you bought the white ones...

Those were my thoughts. Likely releasing a black pair months later. Possibly around the March KeyNote perhaps. I actually prefer the white Airpods.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It isn't going to happen. They have never introduced black EarPods so why would they release black AirPods

That's not a valid reason why they wouldn't. They have released black accessories before and considering the popularity of the Matt and Jet black iPhone 7's it's quite possible they will.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
No it hasn't at least not as much as the black iPhone 7's. Besides not having released them before is hardly a precedent.
And in turn, being wishful is hardly a precedence for Apple to release them. Llets wait and see if they announce something next year shall we. We don't even have the white AirPods yet with no idea as to whether they will even get those to market before xmas..

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Can you post the file path? I want to nab this for a vector image

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
For anyone curious: Machintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Search "AirPods" and you get several white and black images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.