Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I have the black version of the mouse, is this normal? i've looked up google and have seen multiple such posts reporting a slightly wobbly top plate so i'm assuming this is normal? i had a white magic mouse in the past and it's top plate and construction was super tight and never felt like this.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, my black (iMac Pro) Magic Mouse is slightly looser (both h & V) than my white iMac mouse.
I've never noticed it until you mentioned it. ;)
The only time it's mattered is with Final Cut Pro, where extremely fine mouse control is needed.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Yes, my black (iMac Pro) Magic Mouse is slightly looser (both h & V) than my white iMac mouse.
I've never noticed it until you mentioned it. ;)
The only time it's mattered is with Final Cut Pro, where extremely fine mouse control is needed.
Must be something with the production of the the black Magic Mouse then. It’s just a bit odd because the mouse has an odd loose “feel” to it when I use it where the white Magic Mouse I’ve had in the past was extremely tight and felt better in hand when using.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
As another data point, I recently bought a black Magic Mouse. The top plate is not wobbly/loose at all.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
As another data point, I recently bought a black Magic Mouse. The top plate is not wobbly/loose at all.
When you lightly touch the top plate of the magic mouse by even a slight tap with your finger, is there any movement at all or a slight wobble of the top plate? or is it completely solid until you apply strong pressure to induce a mouse press? Mine is certainly wobbly the moment i touch a finger on the top plate.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
When you lightly touch the top plate of the magic mouse by even a slight tap with your finger, is there any movement at all or a slight wobble of the top plate? or is it completely solid until you apply strong pressure to induce a mouse press? Mine is certainly wobbly the moment i touch a finger on the top plate.
There's no movement at all, it's solid.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I got a black magic mouse (space gray?) and extended keyboard back in 2020, I believe these were originally introduced for the iMac Pro and discontinued later. Is that the magic mouse you're talking about? If so, I've never experienced anything like a "wobbly/loose" top plate. Seems solid to me.

I really use it very little however, just don't like it and also does not play well with some Windows software that I use quite a lot. Ended up moving it to a Mini that I use as a media server, so it is rarely used.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I got a black magic mouse (space gray?) and extended keyboard back in 2020, I believe these were originally introduced for the iMac Pro and discontinued later. Is that the magic mouse you're talking about? If so, I've never experienced anything like a "wobbly/loose" top plate. Seems solid to me.

I really use it very little however, just don't like it and also does not play well with some Windows software that I use quite a lot. Ended up moving it to a Mini that I use as a media server, so it is rarely used.
I’m talking about the black magic mouse that is being sold at Apple Stores today. Not the one that came with iMac Pro. Would you be willing to consider selling me your magic mouse since you’re not using it?

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.