Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Citizen45

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
The Apple Silicon Macs all support Bluetooth 5.0.

However I cannot find anywhere that shows whether they support AAC over Bluetooth?

Using my AirPods, I find the sound quality is better when connected to my iPhone as opposed to my MacBook.

Is there a way to enable AAC on Apple Silicon MacBooks? Or is it not supported at all?

Citizen45

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
Yes you can force a codec with Bluetooth Explorer:

Thanks.

It’s pretty dumb that I have to download a whole new app just to turn on AAC.

It should be on by default just like on iPhones. Literally no reason for it not to be.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
On the MacBooks, What format does it come over if Not AAC? This has to be why I thought the AirPods Max sucked and I sold them.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
There is easy terminal command to enable aac codec, or atleast was on intel macs :)

sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true

Check what is active
sudo domain read bluetoothaudiod

Restart computer and device after command set

Similar it is with aptx codec

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
There
Thanks.

It’s pretty dumb that I have to download a whole new app just to turn on AAC.

It should be on by default just like on iPhones. Literally no reason for it not to be.
As per the linked post you don't have to download anything.

Regarding what is "default"…maybe it's an energy usage thing. Does battery life go down when using AAC?

ianeiloart

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2003
There is easy terminal command to enable aac codec, or atleast was on intel macs :)

sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true

Check what is active
sudo domain read bluetoothaudiod

Restart computer and device after command set

Similar it is with aptx codec
I think that's:
sudo defaults read bluetoothaudiod
But I have nothing to read there. :(
Has all this gone away with Sonoma?

Also, option-clicking Bluetooth in the control centre doesn't display the audio encoding. At least not for my FIIO BTR15
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 16.43.42.png

Also, there doesn't seem to be a Bluetooth explorer in XCode 14 or 15 additional tools.
There is, however, a packet logger, which shows the encoding. And I'm playing audio through FIIO BTR15 dac/amp, which is driving a pair of analogue headphones. And my encoding is AAC.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 16.48.01.png

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Since the new OS came out I can't also be able to see it with Option on Bluetooth settings which is quite annoying, if anyone finds a different way through the CLI let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.