Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunden13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
As stated in the subject, while taking photo in portrait mode, using rear camera, there will be some blurrish parts on the focused object itself.

For a better understanding, refer to the youtube video below which was uploaded by myself.

Not sure if it is a defect on camera or software issue or it is normal?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Does it do the same thing when the subject is an actual person? Or even just an object that doesn’t contain a picture on its surface? I’m wondering if the subject in this example is messing with the algorithms that determine appropriate depth of field?

Reactions: bchreng

chunden13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
[doublepost=1510561992][/doublepost]
Does it do the same thing when the subject is an actual person? Or even just an object that doesn’t contain a picture on its surface? I’m wondering if the subject in this example is messing with the algorithms that determine appropriate depth of field?

Hi guys, so far I do not think i have serious issue like this when i am taking photo of a REAL person. However, when it comes to food, or any other non human objects, this "blurrish issue" seems to be quite serious, like the one shown in youtube i uploaded
[doublepost=1510563318][/doublepost]
Mine is the same .
Do you mind sharing the video of it?

Last edited:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Its designed to recognise faces, its not for objects. Sometimes you will get a good shot of an object, other times it will spaz out. Face work perfectly though.

Reactions: bchreng

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
b983ff2d09dc30e590fe1e567d6f1c1d.jpg

Took this shot on the 8 plus and I think the algorithm really nailed it.

And this one.

a45ff1216bca16ca6458e6f3de0a609b.jpg

And this one.

80ab751d8333b3b24c02ceebde9592c6.jpg

It really depends on the object and the lighting.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
This makes me wonder when we will see an iPhone with a rear facing dot projector. That will bring True Depth tech to the rear camera, in addition to 3D object scanning.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Try using an app like Focos which takes the depth information and leta you adjust the blur so more of the subject is in focus. Also has a very cool ability to sho the depth ‘slices’ in your photo

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It’s the edge recognition algorithm. It will get better over time.
Is this over time as in the more you use it? Or with updates through Apple?

I noticed the issue was pretty awful on my end. If I have to teach my phone what is good in these regards I’m inclined to just never bother with it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

I noticed the issue was pretty awful on my end. If I have to teach my phone what is good in these regards I’m inclined to just never bother with it.

Nope. Not over time. You just need to know where it will work.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So you’re referring to “experience”, yes? You mentioned it will get better over time and I was trying to understand if this is the user improving on their skill or the software improving.

It’s both. The algorithm doesn’t work well in every situation. That’s what Apple will improve with time but as you learn where it actually works, you will be able to take better pictures as well.

Reactions: lordofthereef

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Does anyone have trouble with their portrait mode-stage lighting?? I’ve only gotten it to work a few times. I’ll sit forever and try to take pictures (circle needs to turn yellow to work) and it just won’t work :(.

chunden13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017

I starting to doubt if it is hardware defect until i found that the disay phone in apple shop is having the same issue when i was trying to take potrsit photo.

So can we conclude evrryone will face the same blurry issue depending on situation and lightning ?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I starting to doubt if it is hardware defect until i found that the disay phone in apple shop is having the same issue when i was trying to take potrsit photo.

So can we conclude evrryone will face the same blurry issue depending on situation and lightning ?

Indeed. I face this when the light wasn’t right. Struggled a lot taking this picture.

b9515b85bb6a9a540cdaa5bf2dc61ef1.jpg

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

Even simple autofocus struggles more in low light, because it's based on detecting contrast. The brighter lens and more sensitive sensor help, but you either need something with really clear contrast to focus on or a bit more light. My Olympus OM-D E-M5 can struggle to AF in low light as well, but it's better using a bright f/1.7 or f/2.8 lens than it is with a lens that can't open up the aperture as wide. Even then it will struggle if there isn't enough contrast.

This is why I believe you should (although I don't have an X yet to test this with) get better results with the selfie camera thanks to the dot projector's infrared being able to provide additional information on the depth and shape of the subject.

Sean

chunden13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Even simple autofocus struggles more in low light, because it's based on detecting contrast. The brighter lens and more sensitive sensor help, but you either need something with really clear contrast to focus on or a bit more light. My Olympus OM-D E-M5 can struggle to AF in low light as well, but it's better using a bright f/1.7 or f/2.8 lens than it is with a lens that can't open up the aperture as wide. Even then it will struggle if there isn't enough contrast.

This is why I believe you should (although I don't have an X yet to test this with) get better results with the selfie camera thanks to the dot projector's infrared being able to provide additional information on the depth and shape of the subject.

Sean

So far sefie camera works fine just that the rear one doesnt. It has blurry line or cannot even focus when taking potrait mode photo

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Sean

I don’t think the dot projector is used for anything other than authentication.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.