Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which brand lets you express your photographic personality the most freely?

• Total voters

JNB

macrumors 604
I'm a Canonite, although I'm fairly positive my shots would suck just as much were I a Nikonian.

My last FF SLR was a Minolta (still have it, as a matter of fact), and my stuff was passable, but again, that was more due to luck than any particular skill.

I've got about $5K worth of Canon kit now, and not likely to switch. Less about brand loyalty than not wanting to go through all the acquisition process all over again.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just want to know which brand of camera everyone thinks best allows them to express themselves photographically.

Best? You mean if cost were not a factor? Even if cost were not a factor it would depend on the intended subject. For much of what I like to shoot a Sinar P series or Leica M series (depending on subject) would be really nice but I can't afford any "made in Europe" camera unless it is a very old used model.

So is your question "What's best" or "What's the best compromise?"

For me the best compromise is to continue shooting with the Nikon system I've owned for the last 20+ years. Although some day I'll buy a used 4x5 camera system.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I honestly doubt that brand affects how I "express myself photographically" very much. Any advantage my D700 has, for example, is ephemeral. Sure it has amazing low-light capability - but if Canon doesn't catch it with the 5D Mark II, it will with the next iteration (or it will leapfrog over Nikon completely).

I suppose if you're shooting with something like a Holga, then maybe brand would be more important.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I honestly doubt that brand affects how I "express myself photographically" very much. Any advantage my D700 has, for example, is ephemeral. Sure it has amazing low-light capability - but if Canon doesn't catch it with the 5D Mark II,

If you expand the idea of "Brand" to be wider then nearly identical company competing in the same market then Brand may make a large difference. Think about not Canon/Nikon buy Wisner, Holga, and "Sea and Sea" The photogrphy world is a bit larger then just a few Japanese SLRs

Take a look at these. I kind of picked them at random as there at 50 others I can thinkof all very different
http://www.wisner.com/
http://www.seaandsea.com/
http://www.lomography.com/holga/

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I find nice, fat'n'fast apertures to be my favorite way of expressing. I fell into Canon first so that's what I use. I have a tele 135F2 Prime, and I'd like to get a wide fast Prime next.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ah. I was wondering why SLC Flyfishing was bringing up something so obviously redundant to another active thread - but now I see the poll.

Basically as a Pentax user he got his feelings hurt in that other thread. You're under 20 years old, I'm guessing?

Aw c'mon, don't get your Depends all in bunch; he's just having some fun. :p

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Ah. I was wondering why SLC Flyfishing was bringing up something so obviously redundant to another active thread - but now I see the poll.

Basically as a Pentax user he got his feelings hurt in that other thread. You're under 20 years old, I'm guessing?

Oh man you nailed me, how did you know my age?

No, basically I want to know how many of us on here use the "other" brands, if you shoot with Nikon (a very good brand, you should be proud) then please check the "other" box and have your vote counted.

By the way, I'm picking a D300 or D700 up in a few weeks, so I'll be checking the "Other" option along with you! Though I've allowed for more than one choice to be checked so I'll be checking 3 of the boxes, but hey, one will be the same as you so that's cool right?

And in reality I'm 27 :)

SLC

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Hey, where's my Fujica and my Konica on the poll??? Do I always have to check "other?" ;) I can understand all those Nikon and Canon folks being lumped together into one teeming horde of non-relevance, but why us Fujica ST801 users? Can't we ever get some privacy, and a little space? :cool:

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Hey, where's my Fujica and my Konica on the poll??? Do I always have to check "other?" ;) I can understand all those Nikon and Canon folks being lumped together into one teeming horde of non-relevance, but why us Fujica ST801 users? Can't we ever get some privacy, and a little space? :cool:

Yeah. sorry pdxflint! I thought about that after I hit the submit button, but I can't figure out how to edit the poll. If you can help me I'll add them for you!

And Westside guy, no hard feelings, don't worry about it! I didn't think what you wrote was "Snarky" and I usually have a pretty think skin in reality anyway.

SLC

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I don't think this is a question of brand, but rather style of camera.

I feel that a rangefinder gives me the most freedom -- compact, unobtrusive, with very minimal controls (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed). Focusing is a dream, and I can carry it with me on a daily basis. For that reason I chose Leica in the poll.

I also shoot with a DSLR (Pentax), medium format film SLR (old school Hasselblad), and sometimes a 35mm film SLR (again, Pentax)

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sony a350 and Sony a700 and a bunch of lenses.
If Nikon and Canon people would actually try a Sony they too would most likely buy one if they weren't to invested in their systems.

irishfiregirrl

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Inland So Cal, USA
Canon is for Mac users...

Nikon was the first digital camera I used. Being first doesn't mean best and my company soon dumped Nikon when repair rate was slooowwww. Picked up Canon digital bodies instead. I still had my Canon SLR bodies with assorted lenses so the switch was like going home. If you can put your hands on both bodies you will see the difference, like comparing a Mac to a PC. It just feels comfortable. Lens removal, dials, Nikon & Canon are opposite to use.
:apple:15" MacBook - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 30 GB iPod Video

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Nikon was the first digital camera I used. Being first doesn't mean best and my company soon dumped Nikon when repair rate was slooowwww. Picked up Canon digital bodies instead. I still had my Canon SLR bodies with assorted lenses so the switch was like going home. If you can put your hands on both bodies you will see the difference, like comparing a Mac to a PC. It just feels comfortable. Lens removal, dials, Nikon & Canon are opposite to use.
:apple:15" MacBook - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 30 GB iPod Video

I understand what you mean but my experience has been the total opposite. My magnesium framed Nikons feel better to me than Canon. Nikon equipment has never failed me and I have great service the two times I had to use factory service for minor issues. I feel a large part of the experience has to do with dealer support. The dealer I use mainly a pro shop but always makes time for everyone, be it a pro, serious amateur or newbie college student.

In fairness to Canon, a pro friend switched to Canon from Nikon because a number of small, nagging issues with Nikon. There were no huge, glaring problems but he decided to make the jump. I have been trying to buy his fast Nikkor glass from him ever since but he hasn't budged. I' am going to keep trying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.