Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can add me to the (growing) list of users who have been affected by this. I had a usb c hub that I purchased off Amazon connected to one of the computer ports and ran my factory cable and brick through the hub port. I also had an external display connected to my other computer port. Was using the display with the laptop lid closed, everything was working fine, and then the computer just turned off. Tried to reboot it several times using every possible.method with no success. Finally gave up and scheduled a service appointment at an Apple Store. Hope they help because I didn't have Apple Care when I made the purchase so...yeah.
Your M1 is covered under warranty for the first year. You will probably get a refurbished M1.

cbondcarolina

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Nebraska, USA
Your M1 is covered under warranty for the first year. You will probably get a refurbished M1.
I sure hope so. I feel like Apple should make me whole with this in one way or another. It's not like I was doing anything dangerous or reckless that caused the failure.

On a similar note, how is this not a bigger story yet? I was NOT expecting to find dozens of similar accounts scattered across the internet that extend out for more than two months! This is an extremely serious issue that unwary customers could easily fall victim to if not given ample warning. The mainstream tech pubs need to pick this up and hammer it as much as they did the Broken Keys Saga.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I sure hope so. I feel like Apple should make me whole with this in one way or another. It's not like I was doing anything dangerous or reckless that caused the failure.

On a similar note, how is this not a bigger story yet? I was NOT expecting to find dozens of similar accounts scattered across the internet that extend out for more than two months! This is an extremely serious issue that unwary customers could easily fall victim to if not given ample warning. The mainstream tech pubs need to pick this up and hammer it as much as they did the Broken Keys Saga.
I agree with you. The bricking issue for some people using third party hubs (in various ways) needs to get some coverage. Apple definitely needs to keep exploring the cause.

Any time I use one of my hubs, I remove it right away after I am done.

Apple will take care of you. If they don't have a refurb available, you will get a brand new computer.

When you take your M1 to the Apple Store, make sure to take good pictures of the full condition of the M1. You never know when you may need those pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.