Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
shecky said:
again, this very line's indications that you can somehow quantify creativity to prove that you are now 70% more creative than you were is just as ridiculous as everything else you have said. creativity is not accounting.

This is my last post on the subject, you're obviously blinded by your prejudices or ignorance.

The finding was that 70% of the students were successful at being taught to be creative. If you can't say something is or isn't creative, then it all comes out in the wash, doesn't it? If you can, then you can certainly measure if it exists under controlled study conditions. If you can, then you can certainly judge to some degree how creative something is, even if it's not granular.

Never mind it's a studied thing, never mind controled tests exist, you don't believe in it so it doesn't exist- no matter how many experts in the field are able to show otherwise. Maybe you're just not thinking creatively enough! :p

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Look up creative in your Dictionary and you find this....

Everyone likes to think that he or she is creative, which is used to describe the active, exploratory minds possessed by artists, writers, and inventors :) a creative approach to problem-solving). Today, however, creative has become an advertising buzzword ( | creative cooking, | creative hairstyling) that simply means new or different.

Original is more specific and limited in scope. Someone who is original comes up with things that no one else has thought of :) an original approach to constructing a doghouse), or thinks in an independent and creative way ( | a highly original filmmaker).

Imaginative implies having an active and creative imagination, which often means that the person visualizes things quite differently than the way they appear in the real world :) imaginative illustrations for a children's book).

The practical side of imaginative is inventive; the inventive person figures out how to make things work :) an inventive solution to the problem of getting a wheelchair into a van).

But where an inventive mind tends to comes up with solutions to problems it has posed for itself, a resourceful mind deals successfully with externally imposed problems or limitations :) A resourceful child can amuse herself with simple wooden blocks).

Someone who is ingenious is both inventive and resourceful, with a dose of cleverness thrown in :) the ingenious idea of using recycled plastic to create a warm, fleecelike fabric).

In my opinion creativity has little to do with success in photography. You can learn/study what makes and image appealing and interesting to a general audience and if you apply this well, then you will be a successful photographer.

And since success (being able to provide for yourself) is a more basic need than acknowledgment, it is the more important.

So unless you are ingenious, who cares!

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
Mydriasis said:
I agree 100%! Whenever some youngster comes about with any interest at all they blow his dream to bits. Whats the deal? They act like they're the only one with creativity, and if your not born with a complete knowledge of everything photography you might as well quit now.

What are they affraid of? The potential competition?

Rickay726 if you want to go photography school, do it! If your hard working and interested you'll show up these guys in no time.

ducks, from flying tomatos :p

thanks alot. idk what some one is posting in here to shoot me down if im just looking for comments on the school, its not your future is it, No so let me choose what i want to go to school for. not you.

but thanks you verymuch

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Don't get too worked up over the number of tracks offered at Brooks; fact is, there's more crossover among disciplines than their website would lead you to believe. The reason the program has become so diverse is more a result of the school trying to adapt to what were, previously, fledgling technologies(Photoshop, the web, digital vs. film) that most photographers have already adapted to. The "primary" disciplines can probably break into 4 categories, which themselves break into a multitude of specialties:

Photojournalism
Portraiture
Commercial Photography
Fine Art

Photojournalism
As a high school student, this is the area you're likely most familiar with. As a yearbook or newspaper staff member, an editor sends you on an assignment to capture; the only difference is, you're not typically required to do any of the writing for the piece. This will change in the professional world, as newspapers and magazines can't always afford to send writers and photographers abroad for assignments. Not all magazine or news photojournalist positions require the same writing abilities, however the best and most glamorous assignments are typically reserved for those who can pull both duties. When I say "glamorous", I mean the globetrotting, 'never at home for more than a couple days at a time' stuff. What area of photojournalism you want to work in is up to you (News, Sports, Nature, Wildlife, Travel, etc.). Visit your local newsstand or book store's periodical section and pick your poison. As a photojournalist, you'll either work on a staff (regular paychecks) or freelance (irregular paychecks) role.

Portraiture
Nearly every professional photographer has at least some experience photographing people at some point in their career. Portrait photographers do it full-time and are adept at both studio and location work and often balance their time shooting families, kids, weddings, couples, etc. The better you get, the more you'll find you can focus on a particular area. Being a portrait photographer means you're gonna have to be your own boss and market yourself in order to earn money. It doesn't necessarily require the additional overhead of owning or renting studio space, but the most successful photographers in this field usually do, including wedding photographers. An extension of portrait photography is Glamour/Editorial Photography.

Commercial Photography
Commercial photography is a catch-all term for any kind of photography that help's promote or facilitate the sale of a company's product or service. Commercial photography could include shooting products, portraits or architecture. The better you get in a particular niche, the more you get hired for that one thing. One of the most competitive and lucrative fields of photography is Advertising Photography and typically involves shooting some sort of product that will appear in a print ad or product packaging. Because it's the most conceptual area of commercial photography, Brooks Institute breaks it out as a separate field of study. In advertising, you're typically working from your own studio with an ad agency or design firm that already has the shot planned out (angle, persective, props). Your job is to build the set in the studio according to how the agency's art director or designer's drawings and make them happy with the shot, because they in turn are responsible to their client. Most photographers in this field will start building niches in particular areas (automotive, food, fashion, etc.) and build their careers from there.

Fine Art
The most difficult to make money in, but the most individually expressive, because you're in control of the final product, from concept to execution.

As far as Digital Imaging and Digital Media are concerned, there isn't a photographer these days worth their salt who isn't well-versed in digital photo manipulation or it's capabilities. I'm not sure photography students are well-served with either of these two programs as separate fields of study.

If I were you, I'd take a serious look at Art Center's commercial photography program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.