Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WombatWattBike

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Cardiff, Wales - UK
No, what you originally said, that I originally responded to was

I am a runner and I geek out over my data. The AW provides apps that are stable enough that I've never lost data and provide far better data visualization and integration than an FR25, plus heart rate and cadence. And it does intervals as well.

I wasn't and won't argue that it's the best running watch out there, but it's certainly passable, even today, especially when you consider how many people already run with their phones (easily half of the people I see on the paths around here every day).

Like you I geek about my data! I'm training for a triathlon and although I'm not a keen runner I train by heart rate zones using a chest strap. Do you use a chest strap or just wrist? How would you compare both? I'm guessing like most watches chest strap offers best results?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Like you I geek about my data! I'm training for a triathlon and although I'm not a keen runner I train by heart rate zones using a chest strap. Do you use a chest strap or just wrist? How would you compare both? I'm guessing like most watches chest strap offers best results?
I am a triathlete and an upper-MOP runner, though I am hoping to take a shot at a Boston Marathon qualification this winter. I run with an HRM 100% of the time. I used to use a chest strap, but I could not find a strap that would not cut a bloody notch in my chest on long runs. So, last year I switched to a Scosche Rhythm+ for HRM. It is awesome, and every bit as accurate as my chest strap. I have since switched to a wrist-based HRM in my Garmin 735XT watch for running, and I continue to use the Scosche for biking. The wrist HRM is as accurate as my chest strap and Rhythm+. I have read all of the commentaries and objections about optical HRM vs. chest strap, but for me, optical has been great. My AW wrist HRM is great as well.

Reactions: WombatWattBike

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I Would really like that ! :D
It can happen. Earning and 'bragging' about achievement badges is actually a great motivator. And now with the Share Activity feature you can compete with friends. There are so many was to play it. From number to stand hours to calories burned to minutes of exercise to etc.

Also as you can see your thread has taken on a life of its own that is NA to you. Don't get caught up in all the Apple vs Garmin (and I use both). First is first and there is plenty of time to go farther down the road. Remember fitness is a journey and NOT a destination.

Last edited:

WombatWattBike

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Cardiff, Wales - UK
I am a triathlete and an upper-MOP runner, though I am hoping to take a shot at a Boston Marathon qualification this winter. I run with an HRM 100% of the time. I used to use a chest strap, but I could not find a strap that would not cut a bloody notch in my chest on long runs. So, last year I switched to a Scosche Rhythm+ for HRM. It is awesome, and every bit as accurate as my chest strap. I have since switched to a wrist-based HRM in my Garmin 735XT watch for running, and I continue to use the Scosche for biking. The wrist HRM is as accurate as my chest strap and Rhythm+. I have read all of the commentaries and objections about optical HRM vs. chest strap, but for me, optical has been great. My AW wrist HRM is great as well.

Cheers for that will take a look at the Scosche. I've been training quite hard on my biking lately and pleased with my 30km time but I can improve! Chest strap I used to have a garmin but not trialing a myzone belt which seems to do well without any issues.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is not a troll question... How do you use iSR (or whatever favorite app is) to capture intervals on a run? Say I am on a run where I do a mile warm-up, then I do 1/4 mile fast, 1/4 mile rest, 1/4 mile fast, 1/4 mile rest, etc. I don't want to setup a workout in advance, because I might want to warm-up longer or extend some intervals, depending on how I am feeling. How do you do this with a touch screen? On my Garmin, I simply push the lap button at each interval start/end without having to look at the watch.

In my last triathlon, I only looked at two data fields on my watch during the run: HR and cadence. I do not have pace on my primary display. Can iSmoothRun display cadence and HR on the same screen?

In the current app you force touch the screen, then tap the lap button. Nope, not as easy as a single button on the Garmin, but it does work and I have used it. I don't like to setup workouts in advance either. On the watch it has two faces you can customize with up to 3 fields on each screen, with a choice of 20 or so different metrics to choose from including HR and cadence. Hopefully we will see some quick updates to the app for the new watch, including the ability to use the physical buttons for something useful.
[doublepost=1473885418][/doublepost]

Yes, I mostly use a HR strap because I haven't found either my Garmin or AW wrist sensor to be accurate during workouts.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Hey guys , I really wanna buy the AW Series 2 & im really excited to experience the full Apple ecosystem.
I have an iPhone 6s & i will buy a Macbook in the next few days . So my question is , Should i buy the Apple Watch Series 2 Although i'm not a fitness guy which is what the watch is heavily focused on....Plus i do not use iMessage . So , Is it worth buying it :O ?

It's not the watch that's heavily focused on fitness; It's some of the reviewers. I'm 85-years old, so I'm hardly a fitness guy, although the reminders to stand up for a moment every hour is useful. I enjoy the different watch faces, the notifications, and especially Siri, which you can use without the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.