Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi there nyzwerewolf.

Thanks for posting some more details!

If you're into video and want a DSLR kit for $2000-$2700, then buying the 7D would not leave you with enough cash for all the accessories you need.

I'd buy the 550D (Rebel 2Ti) instead of the 7D - $800
Add a good fast IS lens - the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 would be great for $1000
Add a Zacuto Z-Finder - $400 (Edit - it's not confirmed yet whether this is compatible with the 550 - need to check!)
Add a better microphone - Rode Videomic - $150

In total, that's already $2350 (before tax) - and that's with no tripod, filters, memory cards etc.

That really is the minimum you need for quality video. Spend some time reading through some of the DSLR video blogs to find out more. I really like Philip Bloom's blog.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/

Edit - saw your ebay link:

That kit seems expensive for what it is.

None of those lenses are good for video - most are slow, with poor minimum aperture. The reflex lens and the telescope lenses are real junk - you're better off without these.

If you went with the 7D rather than the 550D, you could build a better kit from B&H by not wasting money on things you don't need.

The 550D seriously?

Oh yeah because you know, 3.9 fps on a cheap consumer body is a great substitute for a 7D :rolleyes:

That would be a step down from his D60 IMO.

OP, go with the 7D it is a great camera and won't be updated for at least a year.

50D user here :D wishing I had a 7D :cool:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The 550D seriously?

Oh yeah because you know, 3.9 fps on a cheap consumer body is a great substitute for a 7D :rolleyes:
Er... if you read the original question, you'd see that he was originally asking about video. The 550D has amazing video facilities, not too different from the 7D.

Most folks never need high frame rates. There's nothing in the OPs question which indicates he's shooting sports.

And guess what? Yes, dollar for dollar that 18Mpix sensor in a cheap body coupled with a really good lens is going to give you better results than a very similar sensor in the 7D with a kit lens. This isn't a theoretical question either... the OP doesn't have the budget to buy a decent f2.8L zoom if he goes for the 7D.

That would be a step down from his D60 IMO.
You have to be kidding.

OP, go with the 7D it is a great camera and won't be updated for at least a year.
The 7D is great. It's just that great lenses are a better way to go to get great pictures, especially when you compare two cameras with very similar sensors.

50D user here :D wishing I had a 7D :cool:

Canon has never shown much love to it's x0D series. They always seem to release more interesting technology in the x00D, and for less money within months of a x0D release.

Canon 5DII and 400D user here, seriously considering the 550D as a great backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.