Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luccatoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
Hello, now that my iPad 4th generation is slowly giving up the ghost, I now urgently have to look for a replacement (preferably used or refurbished).

My usage behavior is that I work a lot with the pencil, edit PDFs while multitasking and also like to watch a video on YouTube or Netflix at the same time. I also edit a few photos from my iPhone every now and then. I only use the camera for scanning. I don't play at all. So it's purely a work iPad with minimal requirements.

My idea initially went in the direction of an iPad Air 3, as it could be bought used for €250. After some research, the iPad 9th generation was also highly praised. You could get this new for €300. However, the display isn't supposed to be that good here? Is the non-laminated display really that bad? For €450 you could get the Air 4 in a very good refurbished condition. Which one would you reccomend? The advantage of the Air 4 is the design with thinner edge, USB-C and the laminated display. However, there is an additional cost of €150. What would you recommend?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Hello, now that my iPad 4th generation is slowly giving up the ghost, I now urgently have to look for a replacement (preferably used or refurbished).

My usage behavior is that I work a lot with the pencil, edit PDFs while multitasking and also like to watch a video on YouTube or Netflix at the same time. I also edit a few photos from my iPhone every now and then. I only use the camera for scanning. I don't play at all. So it's purely a work iPad with minimal requirements.

My idea initially went in the direction of an iPad Air 3, as it could be bought used for €250. After some research, the iPad 9th generation was also highly praised. You could get this new for €300. However, the display isn't supposed to be that good here? Is the non-laminated display really that bad? For €450 you could get the Air 4 in a very good refurbished condition. Which one would you reccomend? The advantage of the Air 4 is the design with thinner edge, USB-C and the laminated display. However, there is an additional cost of €150. What would you recommend?

It sounds like you are someone that doesn't upgrade often. In which case, €150 seems a trivial amount, if you can get something that has longer staying power, with the A14 processor in it - plus all the other stuff you mentioned. Many people praise the laminated display, but I can't speak to that. The 9th gen runs the older A13 I believe.

Reactions: Populus

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is the non-laminated display really that bad?
Your current iPad 4th generation has a non-laminated display. What do you think? ;) Personally, I don't think the average user can tell the difference between the two.

For €450 you could get the Air 4 in a very good refurbished condition. Which one would you reccomend? The advantage of the Air 4 is the design with thinner edge, USB-C and the laminated display. However, there is an additional cost of €150. What would you recommend?
Be sure to factor in the cost of getting a new pencil. The Air 4 is not compatible with the 1st gen Apple Pencil. You'd need to get the 2nd gen Apple Pencil or the new USB-C Apple Pencil. (Or are you using a 3rd party pencil?)

Reactions: darngooddesign

Luccatoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
Your current iPad 4th generation has a non-laminated display. What do you think? ;) Personally, I don't think the average user can tell the difference between the two.

Be sure to factor in the cost of getting a new pencil. The Air 4 is not compatible with the 1st gen Apple Pencil. You'd need to get the 2nd gen Apple Pencil or the new USB-C Apple Pencil. (Or are you using a 3rd party pencil?)
I have a 1st gen Apple Pencil. good hint! I actually didn't have that on my screen. Well, Black Friday is just around the corner, so I just have to get hold of a Pencil 2 ;-)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Wait, the iPad 4 doesn’t support the 1st-gen Pencil... which iPad do you have?

Luccatoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
I think iPad gen 4. But i cant use the Pencil with That iPad. I won the Pencil a few years ago.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I think iPad gen 4. But i cant use the Pencil with That iPad. I won the Pencil a few years ago.
Yeah, if you don’t upgrade often, I’d just get the best you can. Like others said, you’ll need to get the Pencil 2, but you said that wouldn’t be too much of an issue. If I were you, from the options you outlined, I’d get the Air 4.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Likewise going to recommend the Air 4 - the Air 3 shared the chassis (and accordingly, some of the problems) with the 10.5 Pro, while the Air 4 has been trouble free.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All I can say is don’t buy the Air 3. We have two in the household and both developed white spots.

If you don’t need pressure sensitivity, there are plenty of Apple Pencil clones under $30 that work on all iPads released since 2018.

Reactions: Populus

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010

If you get an Apple refurbished iPad, you might be able to get the next model/storage up for an acceptable price. Apple refurbished is in some ways better than new. They are individually tested (more attention than factory). Same warranty as a new device. New battery. New outer shell.

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
They are individually tested (more attention than factory).
I would not bet my life on that!
The only item I bought from the refurb store was an iPod and it was Dead On Arrival. It would not turn on. So much for individual testing.
Of course, Apple replaced it at no cost and very quickly, so all is well. I don't want to looks like I recommend to avoid the refurb store. 😉

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
I think iPad 9th gen or iPad Air 5th gen are the best bangs for your buck.

The Air 5th gen has the M1 chip and most of the features that you get from a Pro for a fraction of the price, so getting Air 3rd or 4th gen to save like $50 is going to be a mistake in the long run because you'll need to upgrade sooner.

Luccatoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
I think iPad 9th gen or iPad Air 5th gen are the best bangs for your buck.

The Air 5th gen has the M1 chip and most of the features that you get from a Pro for a fraction of the price, so getting Air 3rd or 4th gen to save like $50 is going to be a mistake in the long run because you'll need to upgrade sooner.
But the Air 5 cost 600€, the Air 4 450€.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.