Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zatraks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
I do not want to replace my Windows computer, but I want a macbook to work separately, I want to code and i need a mac to make multiplatform applications working on a mac (compile, debug on a mac).
I do not want to buy a new Mac in the next 5 years.
But the new macs are much more expensive in Europe than the previous ones and do not seem to be good at the hardware level for the price.
The lack of USBs and SD Card and HDMI for me is a problem, and I do not want to have to buy more dongles because it loses the real vantage of having a laptop.
I don't care about the touch bar, it's cool but useless.

But I don't know how Apple treats its old products, if I buy now the Macbook Pro 15 it will be able to hold out for the next 5 years?
And can I change the RAM in the 2015 model?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The RAM is soldered on the 2015. It comes down to "true and tried" / "cheap" vs "dGPU may **** you over" / "way over priced rip off" / "****ing dongles" / "don't ever trip over your power cord".

If you don't have anything better to spend the money on and don't mind loosing it, buy the new one. If it is just a computer and you do have better things to spend money on, buy the old one.

zatraks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
The RAM is soldered on the 2015. It comes down to "true and tried" / "cheap" vs "dGPU may **** you over" / "way over priced rip off" / "****ing dongles" / "don't ever trip over your power cord".

If you don't have anything better to spend the money on and don't mind loosing it, buy the new one. If it is just a computer and you do have better things to spend money on, buy the old one.
the new one it's just too expensive but i can make an exception if it is worth it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the new one it's just too expensive but i can make an exception if it is worth it.

Actually the new one with 2.5GHz and 512GB SSD is $2429 (education discount) and the old one can be had via amazon as 2.5GHz/dGPU/512GB for $2399. So the prices are the same. It's a hard choice because in a year you can upgrade the old one to a 1TB SSD for a few hundred bucks. The new one can't be upgraded ever. In my experience the SSD will be limiting. I always had to upgrade my hard drives every two years because I just have more and more data, pics, movies.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Actually the new one with 2.5GHz and 512GB SSD is $2429 (education discount) and the old one can be had via amazon as 2.5GHz/dGPU/512GB for $2399. So the prices are the same. It's a hard choice because in a year you can upgrade the old one to a 1TB SSD for a few hundred bucks. The new one can't be upgraded ever. In my experience the SSD will be limiting. I always had to upgrade my hard drives every two years because I just have more and more data, pics, movies.

This is not entirely true since you can get the old one off the refurbished store for around 2100. Ebay has even better deals.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Do you need to be mobile with the laptop? I'd go for the 13" 2015.

Sometimes mobile? 15" 2015 without dGPU.

I used the 2014 15" till I sold it in anticipation of the new refresh but it was disappointing. Apple's history with dGPUs are horrible. Avoid if you do not have the means to replace.

The 2016 models are rev A, so there will be initial bugs in the hardware.

Have you also considered an iMac or even a mini?

Reactions: Coco Nuts

zatraks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Do you need to be mobile with the laptop? I'd go for the 13" 2015.

Sometimes mobile? 15" 2015 without dGPU.

I used the 2014 15" till I sold it in anticipation of the new refresh but it was disappointing. Apple's history with dGPUs are horrible. Avoid if you do not have the means to replace.

The 2016 models are rev A, so there will be initial bugs in the hardware.

Have you also considered an iMac or even a mini?
The mac mini is not dead?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2015 should last you 5 years, easily. It’s “not that far behind” the 2016 models.

BUT — you can’t change the RAM in ANY of the MacBook Pros, 2015 or 2016.
What you buy, is “what you'll have", for as long as you own it.

I myself just got a 2015 13” rMBPro last week. Tried the 2016’s in the store, and they just didn’t seem enough of a “bump upwards” to justify the extra money…

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
the one for 2079 has only a 256GB SSD and no dGPU. So the price for the model I want (and that compares to the 2016 model) is $2399 for now.
The link I sent is Canadian prices, do check the US prices, the 512 model with dgpu should be 2100.

paaj

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Apples/oranges... new/refurbished.

The price for a new dGPU 2015 is very similar to the 2016 base. It's just that they didn't go for only iGPU this time.

Performance wise, the 2015 will be just as good as the 2016 for developing. CPU is very close, new GPU's are better. Make your own decision based on price, keyboard, ports, design etc.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I think a 2015 will easily last you 5-years..

I have the 2016 TB right now and I waiver on keeping it or returning it every so often.. I am a simple home user so I don't need a spec'd out machine and generally buy base models..

My 2016 TB was $1800... I can get a base 2015 for $1100 BNIB.. The base 2016 comes with a 256GB hard drive and the base 2015 only has 128GB. 128GB is actually fine for me as I have and use a 4TB USB drive anyways for backups and mass storage..

Now my dilemma is if the TB 2016 base is actually worth $700 more than the base 2015....

This is though because I like a lot of things on the 2016 but there are things I don't like. I am trying to convince myself it's worth the extra $700 but then again, for that much extra I should not have to compromise on anything right?

I dunno...

OP, the RAM can't be upgraded in either model.. Get the RAM you want or think you will need..

My .02

Reactions: nikster0029

Daarrgh

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
Always buy the last of a line. The latest models have always got problems and come at a premium price for your trouble.
Tried and tested works every time.

Reactions: jerryk

paaj

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Rubbish, the new ones are built with the experience from the previous ones. Come with new GPU architecture, new hingesmaybe some new problem pops up, who knows. Get what you like or need. 2015 CPU is just as good, and arguably has more useful ports (certainly when mentioning the need for SD and HDMi). For me the 2016 was more appealiing.

-
Support: my late 2008 MBP just got kicked. No Sierra but probably some Capitan security updates coming. That is 8 years and it was on it's last legs anyway, hit by a bad USB hub resultimg in all kinds of errors... Around 7 years software support seems average. With the hardware you'll just have to be lucky, or not unlucky.

Last edited:

Daarrgh

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
There will always be lots of people out there willing to be guinea pigs for new models. Let them suffer and empty their wallets. I have always bought last in lines and have done extremely well out of it. 6 years each for my last 3 MBP's.
Granted, I bought the most maxed out 'puters available but the price was excellent compared to brand new.
I'm not sure if you've noticed the news about GPU problems on the new MBP's paaj. That's not lessons learned.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
It is somewhat comparable to cars. Sure you can drive out a brand new one off the lot but you pay a hefty premium for it, it depreciates more and generally has more problems initially. It is much cheaper to buy one off lease or a year or two old. As long as you have the Apple warranty you are good to go. With the money you save you can build yourself a pretty damn good gaming PC, or buy a nice external monitor etc.

linguist

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
I also hate the bugs and other issue of new release, buying last model /new model has its own drawbacks.

if you gonna develop for mac environment and GUI get touch bar version maybe ?

if no GUI work, no touch bar model or older macbook pro retina.

If not mistake I heard 2010 model recently said not to be supported anymore, so yes 4-5 years should be fine.

macbook air also still exist, but not sure of it's future and resale value.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the problem deciding between the 2015 and the 2016 models is that they cost almost the same. A new 2016 2.6 GHz model with 1 TB SSD and apple care costs $3026. A refurbished 2015 2.5GHz with 1 TB HD, dGPU and apple care costs $2698. That's a ~300 dollar or ~10% difference. If you plan to keep the MBP for 3 years or longer the price difference is negligible.

So it comes down to the ports and how much you believe the soldered in SSD in the new model won't break after apple care expires and if 1 TB is large enough for your future needs.

The technical hiccups and bugs will be fixed in a few month from now. So buying a 2016 model in February or March should be fine.

It's really a hard choice. If the 2015 models were $300 cheaper it would be much easier to make the decision......

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
the problem deciding between the 2015 and the 2016 models is that they cost almost the same.

This was my dilemma... I need / want more than the 2 ports offered on the base nTB so I would need (got and have) the TB version. On the 2015 I could easily get by with the base because of the number and type of ports it has...

Using my scenario:

2015 base BNIB from Adorama (with discount code) = $1124
2016 base TB (again, I want more than 2 ports) = $1799
Price difference = $675

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
the problem deciding between the 2015 and the 2016 models is that they cost almost the same. A new 2016 2.6 GHz model with 1 TB SSD and apple care costs $3026. A refurbished 2015 2.5GHz with 1 TB HD, dGPU and apple care costs $2698. That's a ~300 dollar or ~10% difference. If you plan to keep the MBP for 3 years or longer the price difference is negligible.

So it comes down to the ports and how much you believe the soldered in SSD in the new model won't break after apple care expires and if 1 TB is large enough for your future needs.

The technical hiccups and bugs will be fixed in a few month from now. So buying a 2016 model in February or March should be fine.

It's really a hard choice. If the 2015 models were $300 cheaper it would be much easier to make the decision......
Yeah, that's my same exact dilemma, hopefully by owning AppleCare if I have any issues a year or so from now they'll replace the logic board with one that had all the Gen 1 issues fixed. Personally I'm not too worried about the SSD, as I saw an article about how Apple has a recovery tool for it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
my "old" mid 2015 15" is great. $2K for mine (has the 2GB dGPU, 2.5GHZ, 512SSD) with Applecare until 2019. No way I would pay $2799 + tax and AC to be a guinea pig on the new ones. I use CC 2017 suite, plus a bunch of other photo related programs and no slow down. People just like to complain

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I think a 2015 will easily last you 5-years..

I have the 2016 TB right now and I waiver on keeping it or returning it every so often.. I am a simple home user so I don't need a spec'd out machine and generally buy base models..

My 2016 TB was $1800... I can get a base 2015 for $1100 BNIB.. The base 2016 comes with a 256GB hard drive and the base 2015 only has 128GB. 128GB is actually fine for me as I have and use a 4TB USB drive anyways for backups and mass storage..

Now my dilemma is if the TB 2016 base is actually worth $700 more than the base 2015....

This is though because I like a lot of things on the 2016 but there are things I don't like. I am trying to convince myself it's worth the extra $700 but then again, for that much extra I should not have to compromise on anything right?

I dunno...

OP, the RAM can't be upgraded in either model.. Get the RAM you want or think you will need..

My .02

You can buy a lot of things or something else for 700$.

Considering this is a first gen interation, expensive (like the MBA was when it first came out only to fall in price within a few cycles), and doesn't offer faster speeds especially for general use, I think you'd have to be crazy to justify the extra 700$ - Unless you simply really wanted it.
[doublepost=1481266940][/doublepost]
There will always be lots of people out there willing to be guinea pigs for new models. Let them suffer and empty their wallets. I have always bought last in lines and have done extremely well out of it. 6 years each for my last 3 MBP's.
Granted, I bought the most maxed out 'puters available but the price was excellent compared to brand new.
I'm not sure if you've noticed the news about GPU problems on the new MBP's paaj. That's not lessons learned.

Not just those issues but also (and perhaps more importantly) poorer battery life.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
2016 for sure for the speed, screen, speakers, keyboard and light weight - but wait until March or so because right now the 2016's are plagued with hardware and software glitches - I just returned my 10 day old non TB 13" to BestBuy.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
2015 for me. The 2016 is just good but due to many bugs until now it is a toy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.