Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everyone.

I'm about to purchase my first iPad/Apple Pencil, specifically for these uses:

- Drawing
- Frame by Frame animation (I work professionally as an animator)
- Using Photoshop on iPad
- Using Illustrator on iPad
- Note taking/storyboarding
- Content consumption (Optional)

With my job I reached a point where I can finally afford the iPad Pro 12,9 with the XDR display, however It would still be a very hard expense for me and I wouldn't want to get one, only for the next edition to be released soon after.

I have never followed the iPad's development cicle and, having the last version been released in May 2021, I'm afraid a new model will be released in June or September/October/November.

So I ask you...is buying the pro now bad timing? Or do you think the next iPad pro will be released in 2023?
I could wait for September, to be safe, But I'd really like to use it this summer.

I'm still on the fence as I could get an iPad Air 2022 which costs half and would last longer until the next model, however I don't have a TV and I consume most of my media while laying down in bed or on the couch and I'm a huge fan of HDR content, hence my interest in the mini-LED panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: XIO[-]OIX

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I don't think 2022 iPad Pro will have much new over the current one. The 2022 will also probably be Mini LED. It will probably have the M2 processor, which will be an unnoticeable difference to an M1. It will be maxed at 2TB storage and 16GB RAM, I dount it will increase. The only new thing might be magsafe wireless charging, but that's a negligible difference, considring having a Magic Keyboard now sort of does that for you anyways.

It all depends if you want to wait 4 months or so (might be spring 2023 too, no one is sure).

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I don't think 2022 iPad Pro will have much new over the current one. The 2022 will also probably be Mini LED. It will probably have the M2 processor, which will be an unnoticeable difference to an M1. It will be maxed at 2TB storage and 16GB RAM, I dount it will increase. The only new thing might be magsafe wireless charging, but that's a negligible difference, considring having a Magic Keyboard now sort of does that for you anyways.

It all depends if you want to wait 4 months or so (might be spring 2023 too, no one is sure).

That's the thing.

Getting something this expensive just 4 months after the new model would't be ideal.
With apple's fast update cycles, you need to get something pretty much right after release if you want to enjoy it for the longest; I did that with my iPhone 13 and Mac Studio.

Reactions: 0194839

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
If holding off will cost you lost productivity (and money from that) then buy into an iPad Pro now.

If you can hold off until June-October then you might see a new iPad Pro.

Reactions: slplss

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Well the major redesign was in 2018 and even that model is overkill for everything an iPad can do. The Mini-LED display, while nice, is by no means a must have. I can take or leave cameras on an iPad personally so the improvements there don’t do much for me either.

You could save money and avoid buyer’s remorse by just buying a 2018 refurb or finding a good used one.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I’d say go for a refurbished 3rd Gen iPad Pro, then upgrade when the next model comes out.

You’ll lose a bit of money, but not much, on the 3rd Gen and then you get all the benefits of having it now. UK prices on the apple refurb site show them for £599.

I have the 3rd Gen and it still does all I need.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I seriously doubt there will be an updated Pro before late October-early November, at the earliest, giving you at least 6 or 7 months before an updated model. And this next update might be a negligible improvement in performance.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My suggestion is to wait until WWDC to see if they mention anything about the M2. But I think that even if the M2 computers are released this fall, Apple will want to keep all of those chips for their computer initially so I think next year is more likely for an M2 iPad.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Hello everyone.

I'm about to purchase my first iPad/Apple Pencil, specifically for these uses:

- Drawing
- Frame by Frame animation (I work professionally as an animator)
- Using Photoshop on iPad
- Using Illustrator on iPad
- Note taking/storyboarding
- Content consumption (Optional)

With my job I reached a point where I can finally afford the iPad Pro 12,9 with the XDR display, however It would still be a very hard expense for me and I wouldn't want to get one, only for the next edition to be released soon after.

I have never followed the iPad's development cicle and, having the last version been released in May 2021, I'm afraid a new model will be released in June or September/October/November.

So I ask you...is buying the pro now bad timing? Or do you think the next iPad pro will be released in 2023?
I could wait for September, to be safe, But I'd really like to use it this summer.

I'm still on the fence as I could get an iPad Air 2022 which costs half and would last longer until the next model, however I don't have a TV and I consume most of my media while laying down in bed or on the couch and I'm a huge fan of HDR content, hence my interest in the mini-LED panel.

Costco has 256GB on sale $200 off for today, bringing it down to $999. That $200 reduction is probably comparable to the speed difference between m2 and m1. So what I’m saying is that if you can find it somewhere on sale (some holiday sale etc), it’s totally worth it and frankly the speed bump in the next model probably won’t be too large.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Not sure if a future iPad will bring something spectacular to the game. In fact, the 2021 one didn't change the game with M1. I think the most important thing 2021's iPad Pro brought to the game was the increased RAM, the highest RAM available in the iPad's history.

But, I don't think that you should waste time thinking "what if"... That's a writer job, a techie writer. Pick the iPad Pro and start working and creating.

Just go (and keep the 12,9 one. Forget the Air)!

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Personally…. As the iPadOS and current software barely uses the power of the M1, any updated model will not show any difference.
The only way I would update is if the screen size was larger. I would purchase in a heartbeat for larger than 12.9”.

• Love

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Costco has 256GB on sale $200 off for today, bringing it down to $999. That $200 reduction is probably comparable to the speed difference between m2 and m1. So what I’m saying is that if you can find it somewhere on sale (some holiday sale etc), it’s totally worth it and frankly the speed bump in the next model probably won’t be too large.
I live in Italy. No Costco here.
Also Apple products are 20% more expensive than the US for the VAT.
The 12,9" 128GB ipad pro is 1350$ on the apple store.

• Haha

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I live in Italy. No Costco here.
Also Apple products are 20% more expensive than the US for the VAT.
The 12,9" 128GB ipad pro is 1350$ on the apple store.
I searched german eBay, you can get refurbished 12.9 2021 for 850 EUR, that’s 450 less I paid for brand new 256GB.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I searched german eBay, you can get refurbished 12.9 2021 for 850 EUR, that’s 450 less I paid for brand new 256GB.
Could you kindly give me the link?
Thank you :)

For anyone else:

The discriminating factor here is the Liquid Retina XDR Display; I'm not interested in any of the other features of the pro (the lidar, storage, speakers, cameras and so on).

The choice is to spend 60% as much and get the air (perfect for the professional tasks but not so much for content consumption) or spend more for the mini-LED viewing experience.
I just have to decide if it's worth it.
You also have to remember I have no TV or any other HDR capable display.

I could also wait and get the new air or a 2021 model when the next one will be announced, however I'd really like to use it this summer as I have been working too much for the last months and I wanted to take the summer to relax and increment my skills (especially with drawing and frame by frame).

Basically the pro would be a much better allrounder, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money in my current financial situation (I can afford it, but I'd still like to keep some savings).

I'd also love to tinker with the moog modular app, but that can be done as easily on the air.

Last edited:

Retskrad

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2022
Mark Gurman says new iPad Pro’s at the end of this year but I think they will be released around March-April next year (2 years after the 2021 iPad Pro’s). Seems more likely to me.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Could you kindly give me the link?
Thank you :)

For anyone else:

The discriminating factor here is the Liquid Retina XDR Display; I'm not interested in any of the other features of the pro (the lidar, storage, speakers, cameras and so on).

The choice is to spend 60% as much and get the air (perfect for the professional tasks but not so much for content consumption) or spend more for the mini-LED viewing experience.
I just have to decide if it's worth it.
You also have to remember I have no TV or any other HDR capable display.

I could also wait and get the new air or a 2021 model when the next one will be announced, however I'd really like to use it this summer as I have been working too much for the last months and I wanted to take the summer to relax and increment my skills (especially with drawing and frame by frame).

Basically the pro would be a much better allrounder, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money in my current financial situation (I can afford it, but I'd still like to keep some savings).

I'd also love to tinker with the moog modular app, but that can be done as easily on the air.
There you go https://www.ebay.de/itm/115169566208?hash=item1ad0a41e00:g:PfwAAOSwKMJh1HE~
It has eBay’s Buyer Protection and PayPal, so you should be safe if you wanted to return it. But be aware UK is out of EU now, so customs import fees may apply.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

There's something about the PRO display to consider: Pro-Motion.

The 120Hz display will turn illustration with apple pencil more natural. :)

Retskrad

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2022
I have an iPad Pro but there is a slight delay when using the Apple Pencil in GoodNotes and Notability. This delay is not there in Apple Notes. Is Apple using private API‘s?

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I have an iPad Pro but there is a slight delay when using the Apple Pencil in GoodNotes and Notability. This delay is not there in Apple Notes. Is Apple using private API‘s?
This is pretty common, there are a few things to try:

- Unpair the Apple Pencil, pair it again
- Unscrew the tip and screw it back.
- Go to settings, under Apple Pencil, Tick "Draw only with Apple Pencil"

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
That's the thing.

Getting something this expensive just 4 months after the new model would't be ideal.
With apple's fast update cycles, you need to get something pretty much right after release if you want to enjoy it for the longest; I did that with my iPhone 13 and Mac Studio.
wait a couple months. ??
and, welcome to iPad world ??

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
wait a couple months. ??
and, welcome to iPad world ??
Upon further consideration I think I'll get the air, as I still need to save up some money and, while promotion, lidar and the XDR display are good, my main focus is solely drawing and I'd rather invest the 550$ saved for other tools that can aid my job.
I also didn't consider there's the folio case to get, which is about 100$ extra, and the apple care on top of it all.
The Pro is just too expensive for now.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
My guess is that iPad Pros won’t be updated until Spring 2023. I just don’t see the reason they would need to at this point — there is nothing in the market that comes close to their performance and utility.

The waiting game is not worth playing. Waiting is risky, because you don’t know when the models will be updated. Buying now is risky because you don’t know when the models will be updated. It’s all risky.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
My guess is that iPad Pros won’t be updated until Spring 2023. I just don’t see the reason they would need to at this point — there is nothing in the market that comes close to their performance and utility.

The waiting game is not worth playing. Waiting is risky, because you don’t know when the models will be updated. Buying now is risky because you don’t know when the models will be updated. It’s all risky.
I surpassed this stage, I'm not worried about the release schedule anymore.
I'm just in the process of deciding which iPad to get.

The 12,9 Pro would also make a very good content consumption machine, however the air would allow me to do all the things I need it to, while saving a lot of money.
Considering it'd also be my first iPad, perhaps it would be better to ease into it rather than dropping 1 grand for my first tablet and I genuinely like the fact the air is slightly smaller and quite lighter.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Considering it'd also be my first iPad, perhaps it would be better to ease into it rather than dropping 1 grand for my first tablet and I genuinely like the fact the air is slightly smaller and quite lighter.

Yeah. My first iPad was the $599 iPad 2 32GB Wi-Fi (lol, replaced with $699 64GB after 2 days). I’m willing to pay a premium for the Pro (really more for storage) because I’ve used iPads for over a decade and I already know and am fairly content with the iPad’s capabilities.

If I were buying my first iPad now, I’d probably just go for the iPad 9th gen or Air 5 while I determine how well it would suit my usage.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
I surpassed this stage, I'm not worried about the release schedule anymore.
I'm just in the process of deciding which iPad to get.

The 12,9 Pro would also make a very good content consumption machine, however the air would allow me to do all the things I need it to, while saving a lot of money.
Good call. I have the 11” Pro. Depending on the pricing between this and the Air, it might make sense to consider the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.