Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
Upon further consideration I think I'll get the air, as I still need to save up some money and, while promotion, lidar and the XDR display are good, my main focus is solely drawing and I'd rather invest the 550$ saved for other tools that can aid my job.
I also didn't consider there's the folio case to get, which is about 100$ extra, and the apple care on top of it all.
The Pro is just too expensive for now.
Good decision. Air 5 is amazingly fast

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
Reactions: rui no onna

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
iPad Pros are on a weird release schedule. Other than a few outliers with minimal updates (namely 2020 vs 2021), they usually release every 17 months or so.

With the most recent release date of May 21, 2021 (even though it was announced on April 20th), it's entirely possible that Apple will reveal the next iPad Pro line up in October (perfect timing imo with the rumored release of updated Macs with the M2 processor).

Personally I was really tempted to buy the current gen IPP 12.9" (I just want that HDR display), but my 2018 model has been holding up so well that I haven't really committed to the update ever since last year. I'll definitely wait until the fall.

If you are in a rush, I'd say get an older model and resell it again when that new new comes out.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
iPad Pros are on a weird release schedule. Other than a few outliers with minimal updates (namely 2020 vs 2021), they usually release every 17 months or so.

With the most recent release date of May 21, 2021 (even though it was announced on April 20th), it's entirely possible that Apple will reveal the next iPad Pro line up in October (perfect timing imo with the rumored release of updated Macs with the M2 processor).

Personally I was really tempted to buy the current gen IPP 12.9" (I just want that HDR display), but my 2018 model has been holding up so well that I haven't really committed to the update ever since last year. I'll definitely wait until the fall.

If you are in a rush, I'd say get an older model and resell it again when that new new comes out.
I have decided I'll get an air.
I will eventually purchase a mini-LED main display for my workflow one day and I'll be using that for HDR content consumption.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Purple is my favourite colour.
Pity I updated my iPhone in the 13 era, because I love how the purple iPhone 12 looked
You’re the brave one. Every once a while I think how nice it would be to have the Midnight Green 11 Pro. It’s like the Nokia 6600 situation, I always wanted it, but never had. Nonono, I got the og N-Gage. Enjoy your new iPad.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
There will always be updates. The 2021 should last a long time and the newer model probably won’t update much that’s significant

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
There will always be updates. The 2021 should last a long time and the newer model probably won’t update much that’s significant
Thanks!
But I gotta save money and I have to be smart about my purchases; the Air would allow me do to everything I need and I'd save a cool 450$.
I'd rather get the 2022 Air with the M1 (for longevity) than the 2020 Pro (which is still about 150$ extra than the 2022 Air).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.