Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
The 18-55IS is MUCH better then the non IS and not a whole lot more expensive really.. For real cheap there's a 50-250IS(I think that's it) you can find used for a good price, if you don't already have it the 50mm f/1.8 is fun lens to play with and overall the 28-135IS is most likely the best bang for the buck... If I was you though I would try and stretch out and get a Tamron 2.8 lens of decent length. Like a 17-50 or something.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well I found Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II it seems to get quite good reviews.

That's supposedly an outstanding lens--very sharp. I think it's the best option, the second best being the IS version of the kit lens. Having a constant f/2.8 really opens up more creative possibilities. IS is nice if you expect to be shooting in low light a lot, but it won't help if your subjects in that low light are moving (it only helps with camera shake). A faster lens means more control over depth of field and a better ability to shoot moving subjects in low light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.