Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I am just starting to do some research on DSLR cameras, I have a consumer level Nikon 7900 and I love it, so naturally I am looking at Nikon cameras. The D80 seems like a pretty solid pick for my price range, but I have read a ton of good Canon reviews recently and I have noticed that the Canon XTI Rebel seems to be in the same price range.

I don't want a Canon v. Nikon battle because I know what that will ultimatly turn into ( ;) ), however I am wondering if there are any other models I should look into for a sub 1000$ camera with a lens or 2? My only requirements are that the camera be 10 megapixel or so, DSLR, and good "quality". I want to stick with Canon or Nikon preferably. I want something that will last a while and I can grow into. One worry I have is the quality of available lenses, like I said, I want this camera to grow with me.

Any ideas?

Also, do you know of any low cost, reliable online outlets that I should check into?

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
If you haven't already, you might check out the Pentax K10 D. Pentax has a high quality, if small (compared to Nikon and Canon) lens catalog, and the body price is considerably cheaper. After quite a bit of looking around, I ended up choosing the K10D over the D80. I'm sure I would have been happy with either one, as they're both excellent cameras.

The current price (I bought the body and a very nice 50mm lens for about $900) compared to the feature set and the quality of the available lenses were what swung me towards Pentax, but I'm sure there are equally valid reasons someone else might buy the Nikon or a Canon. It's kinda nice that in this price range, there are three or four nice cameras from which to choose.

Food for thought.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
As a footnote, I wouldn't stray from these 3 without verifying with us just to be safe. There are a lot of retailers out there who are NOT reliable and do NOT have good business practices. At all.

I would have to say the K10D might be your best bet, as well. Not only was it already the best "bargain" (Which has no reflection on quality) among DSLR's, it now has a $100 rebate.

I would say this camera is right along the lines of a D80, and with the extra money you could get a really nice lens (Or be less in debt!?! :cool: ) as lenses are probably even more important than the body. A super nice thing about the Pentax line is that they can shoot any lens ever made for a Pentax SLR body. I have a screwmount 50mm lens and it works great on my dSLR, I'm not sure when it came out, but with a $5 adapter you can get a $25 lens with the optical quality of a lens of much higher cost. This is something you could certainly grow into.

My friend has a D50 and is currently deciding between the D80 and K10D. He says he wants to stick with Nikon because he has to lenses but says "The K10D is a beast."

All of this is just one man's post, but you should at least check it out! :)

Postscript: I think if the choice were between Canon and Nikon; I would go Nikon 9 times out of 10.

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I would have to say the K10D might be your best bet, as well. Not only was it already the best "bargain" (Which has no reflection on quality) among DSLR's, it now has a $100 rebate.

I would say this camera is right along the lines of a D80, and with the extra money you could get a really nice lens (Or be less in debt!?! :cool: ) as lenses are probably even more important than the body. A super nice thing about the Pentax line is that they can shoot any lens ever made for a Pentax SLR body. I have a screwmount 50mm lens and it works great on my dSLR, I'm not sure when it came out, but with a $5 adapter you can get a $25 lens with the optical quality of a lens of much higher cost. This is something you could certainly grow into.

My friend has a D50 and is currently deciding between the D80 and K10D. He says he wants to stick with Nikon because he has to lenses but says "The K10D is a beast."

All of this is just one man's post, but you should at least check it out! :)

Postscript: I think if the choice were between Canon and Nikon; I would go Nikon 9 times out of 10.

+1 to everything Buschmaster said and will only add that you NEED to go handle the cameras you are looking at. Once I held a Canon, I knew I wouldn't buy one (they are too small in my hands).

I am making the same decision as you (although at a slightly lower price point) and am having a horrible time deciding.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
I know it's stupid to wait for stuff...

BUT...

The replacement for the Canon 5D should be an awesome camera. Announcement maybe in February if you can wait that long.

Current D300 by Nikon is a pretty good bet. The replacement for the D80 should be better (cheaper for the non-pro).

If you can wait for either the D80 replacement or the Canon 5D replacement, then wait.

What's wrong with a low end camera like the D40 or Xti or a great deal like the K10D? Sell them if they aren't cutting it when the replacements come out.

Chances are... the lower end (K10D is not that low end) cameras will be fine.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I know it's stupid to wait for stuff...

BUT...

The replacement for the Canon 5D should be an awesome camera. Announcement maybe in February if you can wait that long.

Current D300 by Nikon is a pretty good bet. The replacement for the D80 should be better (cheaper for the non-pro).

If you can wait for either the D80 replacement or the Canon 5D replacement, then wait.

What's wrong with a low end camera like the D40 or Xti or a great deal like the K10D? Sell them if they aren't cutting it when the replacements come out.

Chances are... the lower end (K10D is not that low end) cameras will be fine.

The 5D's replacement will be over $3000, for the body alone.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
When is the D80 replacement expected? I might wait for that and pick up a D80 at a lower price... hmm. Also, what do you think of the quality of this lens? Is it worth $100+ to pick up the cheaper lens or would I be wasting my money? Should I go for a body and pick up another lens?

I am going to go check out a few of these cameras later this week.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The Canon XTi and Nikon D80 both came out summer 2006. I'd say both will be upgraded in the first half of 2008. On the other hand, I can't personally see either camera receiving a very significant upgrade. The only thing I think is really likely is an upgrade to a 3" LCD from 2.5". Actually, the D80 might get a new sensor. That could be minorly significant.

As tempting as it is to wait for the latest and greatest, in this case I think the return will be minimal.

Edit: waiting for Canon or Nikon's 18-55mm IS/VR lens to be included as a kit lens might be worth it.

Clarence

macrumors regular
wanting one for christmas too. but i'm not willing to spend more than $5-600.

is there any reason not to get this cannon, or is there a better choice in my price range?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

i dont want much more than instant shutter speed and it would be nice if it could take non blurry pictures while zoomed, like this one.

IMG_0665.jpg

do any of these low dollar dslr's have any sort of image stabilization?

any reason I shoulden't get a 6 mp? seems like it would be plenty of resolution for me!

thanks for your replies

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Well, you have to ask yourself the question, do you really want those guys to be in focus?

The 300D is long discontinued. If you're happy with a used camera, it's an OK choice.

Clarence

macrumors regular
Well, you have to ask yourself the question, do you really want those guys to be in focus?

The 300D is long discontinued. If you're happy with a used camera, it's an OK choice.

well i didnt know that it was discontinued, and i'm not ok with a used camera.

as far as those guys, well, yeah, i would like the pic to be in focus. most people only graduate college once.

any constructive suggestions?

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
wanting one for christmas too. but i'm not willing to spend more than $5-600.

is there any reason not to get this cannon, or is there a better choice in my price range?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

i dont want much more than instant shutter speed and it would be nice if it could take non blurry pictures while zoomed, like this one.

[Image removed]

any reason I shoulden't get a 6 mp? seems like it would be plenty of resolution for me!

thanks for your replies

Both Canon and Nikon have Image Stabilization, "IS" in Canon-speak, and "VR" (Vibrarion Reduction) in Nikon-ese. However, it's a function of the LENS, not the camera body.

For instance, I have a 18-200mm AF-S VR lens. That means it zooms from 18mm (wide angle) to 200mm (telephoto) and has stabilization. It costs a pretty penny too at $750; Lens alone.

Nikon just introduced a new 18-55 VR lens that is expected to be around $250. It will probably be the one bundled with the D40x (currently it has the 18-55 - no VR - in the bundle).

Finally, you're totally right about 6 megapixels being plenty. Every now and then I take my old D1X (2 MP!) out and shoot; It makes 8x10 prints that you couldn't tell were digital. The D70s is a great buy now, as is the D40 (not D40x). The D40 is especially light with a beautiful LCD. Both are 6MP cameras.

On top of everything, and this goes for the OP too... Don't sweat what body you buy. It's all about the glass, and I mean all about the glass. If you don't realize this now, you will 5 years down the road when you've upgraded bodies 2 times but you still have the same lenses.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Also, do you know of any low cost, reliable online outlets that I should check into?
Is BuyDig a reliable seller?

Always check ResellerRatings before buying from an unknown store. BuyDig has a very good rating and I would trust them. Other decent retailers are:

Amazon
Adorama
B&H
17 Street Photo
Cameta Camera
Ritz Camera
One Call
Costco (often they only have the entry level DSLRs, but cheap!)

Otherwise, check ratings. If bad or has no ratings, stay away; You will certainly never get what you want. At best, you'll be strung along for months, have to pay for extras that cost way too much and be lucky if you get a refund after all your hassles. There are tons of shady camera places too.

Clarence

macrumors regular
Both Canon and Nikon have Image Stabilization, "IS" in Canon-speak, and "VR" (Vibrarion Reduction) in Nikon-ese. However, it's a function of the LENS, not the camera body.

For instance, I have a 18-200mm AF-S VR lens. That means it zooms from 18mm (wide angle) to 200mm (telephoto) and has stabilization. It costs a pretty penny too at $750; Lens alone.

Nikon just introduced a new 18-55 VR lens that is expected to be around $250. It will probably be the one bundled with the D40x (currently it has the 18-55 - no VR - in the bundle).

Finally, you're totally right about 6 megapixels being plenty. Every now and then I take my old D1X (2 MP!) out and shoot; It makes 8x10 prints that you couldn't tell were digital. The D70s is a great buy now, as is the D40 (not D40x). The D40 is especially light with a beautiful LCD. Both are 6MP cameras.

On top of everything, and this goes for the OP too... Don't sweat what body you buy. It's all about the glass, and I mean all about the glass. If you don't realize this now, you will 5 years down the road when you've upgraded bodies 2 times but you still have the same lenses.

thanks for your help, i'll check out the d70 and d40. what are the cannon equivalents?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I am just starting to do some research on DSLR cameras, I have a consumer level Nikon 7900 and I love it, so naturally I am looking at Nikon cameras. The D80 seems like a pretty solid pick for my price range, but I have read a ton of good Canon reviews recently and I have noticed that the Canon XTI Rebel seems to be in the same price range.

I don't want a Canon v. Nikon battle because I know what that will ultimatly turn into ( ;) ), however I am wondering if there are any other models I should look into for a sub 1000$ camera with a lens or 2? My only requirements are that the camera be 10 megapixel or so, DSLR, and good "quality". I want to stick with Canon or Nikon preferably. I want something that will last a while and I can grow into. One worry I have is the quality of available lenses, like I said, I want this camera to grow with me.

Any ideas?

Overgeneralizations:

If you will be stuck with the kit lens for a while, Nikon.
If you will eventually get $4,000+ Supertelphotos, Canon.
If you will need tilt/shift lenses, Canon.
If you want good flash, Nikon

Truthfully, it doesn't matter all that much, either brand will work find for most people. If you can go somewhere to handle them, do it- ergonomics matter to a varying degree to different folks- but for most folks it's important.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
So if you had to chose between the Canon XTi and the Pentax K10D, which would you chose? Is BuyDig a reliable seller?
Personally, the K10D, and not just because of price.

BuyDig is very reliable. You'll be just fine with them!

Also, Adorama has the camera right now for $594.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
If it were me, I'd be buying the Pentax K10D, it's so much more camera than the Nikon D80, let alone the D40 and D40X. And as for the XTi from Canon, well we won't even go there.

Look, I'm just going to lay it on the line and tell you that you aren't going to find a better camera body out there for less than $1,500. Even then the K10D will hold it's own, and the fact that it's super cheap right now is even better. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

SLC

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland

Image quality and shooting speed is all about the LENS you choose, it has very little to do with the body. And if you didn't guess, the fastest and best lenses cost a lot.

Your best option for low budget would be to get a prime lens (that is, one without zoom) that has fast aperture (small f-number). For example, a Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime costs $100 and shoots a lot faster than a Canon 28-105 f/4-5.6 zoom that costs $250. Naturally primes don't zoom so they're not as flexible, but you don't get everything for nothing.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Overgeneralizations:

If you will be stuck with the kit lens for a while, Nikon.
If you will eventually get $4,000+ Supertelphotos, Canon.
If you will need tilt/shift lenses, Canon.
If you want good flash, Nikon

If you want the best Defocus Control, Nikon.
If you want access to a lot of inexpensive and excellent used old manual focus lenses, Nikon.
If you want less crippled cameras, Nikon.
If you want dynamic range: Fuji (Nikon)
If you want the best color, extreme definition, cheap full frame with some restrictions and artifacts: Kodak (Nikon)

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
If you want the best Defocus Control, Nikon.
If you want access to a lot of inexpensive and excellent used old manual focus lenses, Nikon.
If you want less crippled cameras, Nikon.
If you want dynamic range: Fuji (Nikon)
If you want the best color, extreme definition, cheap full frame with some restrictions and artifacts: Kodak (Nikon)

I thought this wasn't gonna turn into a Nikon/Canon flame war? Man up and admit that some makes do better things that your (or my) Nikon. ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The general consensus is that the Kodak (Canon) camera is worse than the Kodak (Nikon) cameras, otherwise I would have just said Kodak.

I think the current Nikon P&S's are lame, but that is not the point of the thread.

Canon does better than Nikon in offering a relatively affordable full frame, the 5D, but there is even people that have abandoned it in favor of a Kodak, which can be found for even less.

If you live in USA and want a good deal: Pentax

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The Pentax K10D and Sony Alpha A-100 have image stabilization built into the camera body, as do a few of the Olympus cameras. It works with any lens you attach to it.

Nikon and Canon make you buy image stabilized lenses which usually cost a fair bit more than unstabilized ones.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.