Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifona

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I'm biased and not the advice you want but I would use my set up which is pretty much what you have with the iMac.. so id be tempted to buy a desktop for the security of you family photos/videos.

option 2 for me is to subscribe to iCloud or Lightroom to keep all photos and videos in the cloud.

I need to figure out how to migrate away from Lightroom. I used it as a photo library / database more than anything, not for any real photography workflow. Back when I was using my SLR regulalry I shot everything in both NEF Raw and Jpeg. Does anyone know how Apples' Photos app handle NEF raw files?

I have an iCloud 200GB plan on my MBP and iPhone; perhaps I need something like Backblaze?

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I need to figure out how to migrate away from Lightroom. I used it as a photo library / database more than anything, not for any real photography workflow. Back when I was using my SLR regulalry I shot everything in both NEF Raw and Jpeg. Does anyone know how Apples' Photos app handle NEF raw files?

I have an iCloud 200GB plan on my MBP and iPhone; perhaps I need something like Backblaze?

just googled and it doesn't but apparently there is a free converter for it with adobe.

if you can that or export from Lightroom to high res jpeg then apple photos can use them and it can be part of your cloud storage. you can then view on your iPhone as well.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I dont feel I "need" a NAS since I dont have a need to access these files over the internet, should I reconsider?... What's the smart thing to do here?

Classic buyer's dilemma: can I wait to buy XYZ?

My iMac is as old as yours. I'm buying a new machine Real Soon Now because of software compatibility requirements. But the old machine still works and could likely work another 5 or 10 years.

How important are the files that you are keeping on your old machine? Can you afford to lose them?

If the answer to the latter question is No, then the generally accepted strategy is to:
1) keep a local backup (e.g., TimeMachine);
2) AND keep a remote backup (i.e., not co-located with your current machine.)

If you don't need operability with the latest software and can keep using the old iMac, then make a remote copy of your files, on an online service that allows you to have the write-only permission but other users (say your family) to have read permissions.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
10GBe For the cost I was thinking it may be worth it? My router has both 2.5G WAN & LAN ports, so if I were to go the NAS route and pickup a a Synology capable of 10GBe I could marry everything up to a small 10GBe switch and get increased performance; at least that is how I understood things.
Traffic still has to go through your router and will therefore be limited to 2.5GbE. But I think the bigger point, that many others have tried to make, is that it's overkill.
* 10GbE is useful if you regularly do larger sequential reads/writes (multi-gigabyte files). You're not going to notice much of any difference with small random reads/writes like photos, tax documents, or your itunes library.
* You've noted that most of your network devices run on wifi that wouldn't come close to utilizing the increase in bandwidth even if you were saturating it with huge multi-GB files.

As someone who has set up numerous home servers over the past two decades (using Windows, Mac, and Linux) and now runs a Synology, go with the Synology or comparable brand. I hate to think of all the time I wasted building hardware and then configuring and managing software when a dedicated NAS gets me 99% of the way there with much lower cost and 1/100th the amount of effort.

I love technology and playing around with stuff, but I was gobsmacked when it literally only took me a few minutes to add hard drives, click a few buttons, and then have a fully redundant central storage that supported numerous file share protocols (including Timemachine), and that communicates with my UPS and powers down gracefully in the event of prolonged power outages to prevent data corruption.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I have a 2018 mac mini as my personal computer (I have a 16" macbook pro for work) and I use it as a file server. The laptops in the family backup to a time machine share on the mac mini.

I recently considered replacing it with Synology, but while researching I was wondering - how do I backup the synology? It would require a separate subscription from my computer - a monthly/annual expense where as right now because my drives are connected via thunderbolt to my mac mini, they are included in what I pay backblaze for cloud backups each year. If I switched from thunderbolt to a NAS, I'd have a lot more in backup expenses. Just something to consider.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
so if I were to go the NAS route and pickup a a Synology capable of 10GBe I could marry everything up to a small 10GBe switch and get increased performance

Traffic still has to go through your router and will therefore be limited to 2.5GbE.

There's a chance I'm misunderstanding @trifona's suggested network layout, but just in case I'm not... If multiple devices were connected to a new 10 Gb switch and that 10 Gb switch was connect to the upstream router's slower switch, the traffic between the devices connected to the 10Gb switch would not reach the slower switch and not be impacted by its lesser speed.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I need to figure out how to migrate away from Lightroom.

how do I backup the synology? It would require a separate subscription from my computer - a monthly/annual expense where as right now because my drives are connected via thunderbolt to my mac mini, they are included in what I pay backblaze for cloud backups each year. If I switched from thunderbolt to a NAS, I'd have a lot more in backup expenses. Just something to consider.

I prefer using Lightroom since it is easier to manage backups. You can just copy files - iPhone and DSLR - to an external storage for your bank vault. Backup programs will allow you to find and restore individual pictures rather than having to restore a whole library. Lightroom also allows you to display everything (except 3D images) on the VP if you use their cloud storage.

If your Mac has the master files when you backup to the NAS that would be considered one backup. Backblaze the 2nd and the copies in the bank vault the 3rd backup. No need to backup the NAS unless it is the master copy.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013

I have dumped Adobe. Instead I use Free Open Source software: Digikam for database and file management (it will also do raw processing); DarkTable for serious editing of Raw files. And if you only have Nikon raw files, use Nikon's own excellent, free photo processing program. I only use Apple's Photos for instant access to iPhone photos on the mac/slide shows on ATV. BTW, I have found Digikam and DarkTable superior to Adobe's software (just one example: library management, namely discrete .xmp files vs Adobe's riskier single library file).

Reactions: Chuckeee

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Since you appear to be willing to spend a little bit of money, best for you would be a baseline mac mini with shared direct attached storage. It uses very little energy so can be left running 24/7. Just add a monitor and you have an excellent desktop + DAS/NAS setup at minimal cost. (Personally I couldn't rely on laptops alone; gotta have a desktop).

I use an old '08 vintage PC tower (Intel Core2Duo, 4GB ram) as a headless NAS using Unraid Linux based OS complete with a nice web-based GUI. It works very well. I have loaded it up with my old 4TB drives and SSDs and, voila, I have a fully functioning NAS with redundant storage, minimal energy use, quiet and at minimal cost ($59 for the Unraid license). I am only using it at present as a backup data repository and not for streaming although it would probably work well enough for that.

For streaming I just direct attach an 8TB HDD to my HTPC. I could also stream from my mac mini m2 pro to the HTPC but then I wouldn't be able to use my old HDDs unless I bought an enclosure which would not be nearly as good as an old pc repurposed as a NAS. I am done with multibay enclosures; in fact I don't see many out there anymore - NAS' are probably the reason. If the NAS proves reliable enough I may do media streaming from it but really direct attached storage works great with minimal hassle. I only setup the NAS because I already had the hardware.

Last edited:

trifona

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback. I just placed the following order, it arrives in 4-days:

Apple Refurbished
Mac Mini M2 Pro
16GB Ram
2TB SSD
Gigabit Ethernet
$1,609

I have a Dell WD19 dock in my home office that I use for my work laptop setup. Will the Mini and the dock place nice with each other so I can share the monitor and other peripherals?

Even if the Dell dock is not compatible with the Mini I still have the legacy keyboard and Mighty mouse from the 2007 iMac I can use when I'm not screen sharing off the MBP.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
just wanted to chime in and say that I have a newer M2 mini as my main PC, and relegated my old 2015 iMac to the living room as a community machine. I have two twin 4TB WD Red drives connected to the M2 mini in a dual docking bay as a main backup and redundant backup drive. in my basement server rack, I have a used headless 2014 mini acting as a file server with another dual docking bay plugged into it with a 4TB drive as a 2nd redundant and a 2TB drive for other backups (previously my Time Machine drive).

this setup works perfectly, and I can use screen sharing to manage the server mini from upstairs. I recently picked up a Satechi dock for the M2 mini with a 2TB NVMe WD Black inside to now act as my M2's Time Machine drive. the server mini is running OCLP 1.4.1 with Sonoma 14.4 and it runs like a champ.

to back up all my files I use SyncFoldersPro+ and have all the drives back up to each other every like 10 mins or so without issue.

Reactions: uller6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.