Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
My older relatives and friends did not receive your survey and half of them disagree with your statement so please don’t spread your incorrect opinions as fact.
Not all people in their 70s and 80s are the same. Some have dementia, some upgrade to new Apple devices annually. Like the person I quoted below. I think it is fair to say that eyesight, hearing, and the ability to use new technology decreases as age increases. I am glad to hear your relatives prefer smaller phones and do not have vision issues. My relatives are not the same as yours, in fact, almost all of them require a larger iPhone X or iPhone X Max... SE just does not cut it. I agree with @baypharm.

@nickbelane - it comes down to her specific needs/abilities. I still recommend a larger screen over SE.

I'm 77 and love tech. I upgrade my iPhone and Apple Watch annually and my iPads and MacBook Pros a little less often. I use Face ID or Touch ID with no difficulty. My vision corrected with glasses is 20/20. However, as much as I like the idea of a smaller phone such as the SE, it is so much easier and more comfortable to read texts, e-mails and webpages on a larger screen with larger fonts. I have an 11Pro and will be upgrading to a 12Pro. I've never wanted or needed a + or Max sized phone and think the size would be awkward for me.
Wow, you are impressive! I hope I am as savvy with the latest-and-greatest when I am in my 70s. Kudos to you for adapting to technology.

Last edited:

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Got my late 70-year old parents new iPhones last year. I am guessing they are pretty average in the use of technology for their age and had had iPhones for 5-6 years, also using Macs and iPads. I had thought the same thing as many of you here that it would be better to stick with the familiar home button. But then my wife asked if it would be easier to teach them the swipe up now or in 3-4 years. That clear question immediately led me to get them 11s. They quickly learned the swipe up and didn't miss a beat. It was definitely the right decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.