Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zamboknee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Any suggestions/devices/products on how to get this cord fiasco under control?
2a4f3222963c65d96d7b86a872a54bf0.jpg

NOT RESOLVED

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Ah! A tech. subject I can get enthusiastic about.

The short answer is there is no single "quick fix" for cord and cable chaos. The reality is that the modern home and office is likely to contain literally dozens of different types of cords and cables, carrying data of dfferent types, as well as both low-voltage and high-voltage power. As well as the currently popular USB, which exists a curious, and yet very useful, hybrid of low-voltage and data.

Some general principles: Where possible eliminate wires completely. My (desktop) computer cable organization became infinitely simpler once I switched to a Mac with its Bluetooth wireless keyboard and trackpad. A wifi-enabled printer simplified things still further. But then I went and mucked it up by adding a bunch of cables to accommodate massive HDDs for data backup and media storage. Add in another USB cable running to the adapter for my electric guitar - and I've got the makings of another cable rat's nest again. See how that works?

If cables can't be eliminated, and the physical structure of your home or office allows it, try putting as many wires as possible inside the wall itself. The rats' nest behind my TV set became much easier to tame when I installed in-wall speaker wire to my Dolby 7.1 surround speakers. Granted, it required a building permit, the purchase of a half-dozen specialty tools, and a bunch of stuff from Monoprice, but now my speaker wire emerges from sleek white wall plates via gold-plated jacks, rather than gathering dust as a potentially lethal tripping hazard on the floor. Putting wires in walls is a huge topic all its own.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you're just wondering how to store them, I tried to find a set of drawers or boxes that would work for what I wanted. I ended up getting one large cardboard box, and a bunch of zip-loc baggies. Some baggies are large one-gallon baggies, and others are smaller. Each is labeled for one style of cable: "Standard USB", "Firewire 800 to Firewire 400", "1/8" to double RCA audio", so so on. I have about 25 baggies in the box.

zamboknee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Another option is velcro straps. View attachment 687043

But the best advice is to ditch the stuff you don't need any longer. How many of us have cables for devices we haven't owned for years.
I went with the zip ties for now. I like the velcro straps idea. I'll have to keep an eye out for those.
I recently renovated basement with new drywall and made sure to run cabling/wires behind it from TV to sources. Much cleaner look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.