Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I have a TS4 dock connected directly to my 2021 MacBook Pro 14 inch with the M1Max chip, 64 GB RAM and 4TB internal SSD. I have 1 GB internet with fiber to the house, I consistently get SpeedTest results in the 950 range both directions. Everything works well with one exception.

When I run a streaming session on our weekly YouTube live show thru Streamyards using my Logitech Brio 4K webcam, connected to either a USB-A or USB-C port on the TS4 I get frequent camera "flashes" where my outgoing video from the camera either spikes, stutters or some sort of artifact pops up momentarily. These tend to occur a couple times a minute but at random intervals.

I tried a different camera of the same model (I have 2) and the same thing happens. I tried different ports on the TS4 and the same thing happens. I tried it on the CalDigit TB3 dock and it did NOT occur, nor did it occur on my OWC Thunderbolt dock. I use each of the 3 TB4 ports on my MacBook and it did the same on each.

I then plugged the camera directly into another TB port on my MacBook and the issue never occurred again. Plug it back into any port on the TS4 and it reoccurs.

Other items connected to the TS4 dock are 2 ASUS 32IN HD monitors, one to the Display Port and the other to the adjacent TB4 port. There is also my USB studio mic, and external HDD for backups, speakers thru the audio port on the rear, Ethernet to the LAN, the computer and the power adapter.

I suspect that there is an issue between the camera and other items on the same bus but it doesn't seem to matter what port I plug the camera into.

While I can run it this way I would prefer to have it work properly plugged into the dock. Any idea what might be causing these outgoing video spikes?

Other than the above mentioned video stutters I have not had any problems. It charges my MBP just fine and is a welcome addition to my desk!

Reactions: Wheel_D

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
No. It seems to work fine with the camera connected directly to the MBP so I suspect it is some sort of throughput or parsing issue with the dock.

I also found a different issue that may or may not be relevant. I was using my MBP for some radio control projects using Parallels and Windows 11. Everything worked fine until I connected the 4th (of 8) radios to a USB hub that was plugged into one of the USB-A ports on the TS4. The 4th radio would not be recognized. I tried a different hub and got the same results. I tried a different USB-A port and no go. I looked at the CalDigit Support site and they acknowledge the issue and advised to use a USB-C or TB port instead, once I did it all worked fine.

At this point I have decided not to really pursue it as I have an acceptable workaround and it is not really critical to me right now.

reinisbaab

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
I have the same problem as well. Caldigit TS4, Logitech Streamcam and M3 14" MacBook Pro (it was the same with M1 14" MacBook Pro). When I plug the camera directly in my mac, it works flawlessly. But when I plug it into TS4 it flickers and flashes every few seconds. CalDigit support is saying that this is Apple's fault and there is nothing they can do to fix TS4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.