Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I used a Samsung X5 which I believe is Thunderbolt 3 USB-C for a bootable external SSD for my 2017 iMac which went bad. From my research, even with adapters, I can't boot from it with my 2015's iMacs, is this correct?

It seems the iMac has Thunderbolt 2 and the Samsung X5 drive is Thunderbolt 3 and they can't work together? Just making sure, with those who understand this stuff. Thanks!

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
You can't connect the X5 directly to the Apple TB 2<>TB 3 adapter, as the adapter doesn't pass through the power the X5 needs to run.
You can get it to work by connecting the X5 to a powered TB 3 dock, and connecting the dock to the adapter, which is connected by TB 2 cable to the iMac.
This setup was bootable with older OSs. I don't know about current MacOS.
No cheap easy solution, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Turnpike

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll offer a "cheaper, easier" solution:

This:

No, it's not going to -quite as fast- as a thunderbolt drive might be.
But it will still be pretty snappy once it's up-and-running.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, the Samsung X5 will work on older Macs with TB2 and TB3 ports. If I recall correctly, it requires at least High Sierra.

As someone already mentioned, Apple’s TB2/TB3 bi-directional adapter will not pass power over the bus, so you will need something to power it, such as a TB3 dock.

I used the X5 on my older Macs, as old as a Mid 2011 iMac. I tested the speed on a Late 2012 with TB1, and how read speeds as high as 900MBps.

I don’t have any TB2 Macs to test it, but suspect that speeds would be a little better on your iMac. Probably above 1400MBps.

All that said, the extra equipment and bidirectional adapter can be pretty expensive, even if you buy them used. Unless you already had some of it or planed on buying the equipment to use with a newer Mac some time later, it would probably be better to use a USB SSD.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Ok, my goal was to access the info on the TB3 drive, I don't mind putting stuff on a slower SSD going forward, so I can access it from all my machines here. So I'll start by looking at what kind of Thunderbolt docks there are out there.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.