Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
Hi all, I'm about to pull the trigger on a(nother) base M1 MBA. I'll get a $150 gift card with the purchase due to the current promo in the US for back to school. Can I load that GC into my Apple ID and use it to buy AppleCare+ ($159)? Thanks!

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
This is coming from the Apple Support Forum,

"We understand from your post that you would like to use your Apple Gift Card to purchase AppleCare. The type of gift card you have will determine what it can be used for. In most cases, you would redeem your gift card and add it to your Apple ID to pay for your AppleCare. If you do not wish to redeem the full balance of your gift card to your Apple ID then you should contact Apple Support for additional assistance."

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
Thanks everyone. Two years ago I got two $100 gift cards for purchasing HomePods. I added those to my Apple ID. If I'm understanding the above correctly, then I CAN use my Apple ID balance to purchase AppleCare. So if this summer's promo provides a similar gift card that I can add to my Apple ID balance, then I should be in luck!

Reactions: MarineBand5524

obezcinnet

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks everyone. Two years ago I got two $100 gift cards for purchasing HomePods. I added those to my Apple ID. If I'm understanding the above correctly, then I CAN use my Apple ID balance to purchase AppleCare. So if this summer's promo provides a similar gift card that I can add to my Apple ID balance, then I should be in luck!
did it work? :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm wondering the same thing because I'm planning on getting a new MacBook when Apple does their back to school sale, and if they give a $150 gift card, I'd like to use that towards AppleCare instead of something I don't need.

Lyrrad

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Yes, it's possible.

In the US, you can add AppleCare to your Mac by visiting a physical Apple Store. You can pay with the gift card directly.

If you already added the gift card to your Apple account balance, and you have an iPhone, you can use Apple Pay with your Apple account balance to pay for purchases in the Apple Store.

I haven't found a way to do this if you add it after purchase by phone call or online.

I was able to set up and pay for monthly Applecare+ on my iPad with my Apple account balance after the initial 2 year AppleCare service expired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.