Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgmartino92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2022
Can I change the thumbnail shown in Finder on a video file? Main file type I use for these videos are .m4v but I can change that.

I want to know if I can change the thumbnail that displays in finder?
Or can I bake the thumbnail in at the exporting/sharing level within Final Cut Pro?
Or lastly is there a setting in finder. Perhaps the setting is "make first frame" or "make last frame" the thumbnail?

Because then I can bake the thumbnail I want, to be the first 5 frames of the video. That's an old trick I used to Use for Instagram thumbnails before they allowed to to add a separate file for the "cover" (aka the thumbnail)

P.S.
I want to note I am talking about the thumbnail that displays on the actual file that we see in Icon view, or List view, etc. I am NOT talking about the thumbnail that displays in the Preview Bar (on the side). Because I noticed those two "covers" are from different points of the video (please see my screenshot).

The reason I want this control in the first place is when I am doing complex searches of 100s of video files. It is much easier for our brains to clock the images in a thumbnail rather than the text of the video title.

Further more if you are using Icon View. Any longer file names are gonna be chopped up with an ellipses "..."

Finder Thumbnail (1).png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.