Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asgllc

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
I am also new to the appleTV scene, just bought my first one after cutting the cable. I am seriously disappointed to hear that you can not copy content to the Apple TV HD… why in the heck then if all content must be streamed are there different sized hard drives?!? This is yet another incredibly deceptive move by Apple. Im speechless honestly. Is that so i can have room to store all the stupid drone footage screensavers?!?

Glad i bought this POS secondhand for $60.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The on-board storage is for apps, games, buffer, etc.

An enduser hasn't been able to copy movies to the Apple TV internal storage for many years.

The Apple TV, 2nd gen and newer, never had a hard drive.

Android boxes, other than the older nVidia Shield, never had a hard drive as far as I know. They are all streamers like the Apple TV.

asgllc

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
The on-board storage is for apps, games, buffer, etc.

An enduser hasn't been able to copy movies to the Apple TV internal storage for many years.

The Apple TV, 2nd gen and newer, never had a hard drive.

Android boxes, other than the older nVidia Shield, never had a hard drive as far as I know. They are all streamers like the Apple TV.
Games?? Is this a gaming console now?

My 2002 toshiba satellite laptop running *microsoft windows* media center had hdmi out, cable input, a remote control and a user upgradable hard drive which could be filled with what ever content i wanted to play back on my tv screen.

You infer that you consider what you complacently describe above as what, the standard? forward progress?

It’s not. This technology has devolved because fanboys like this enable it to.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My 2002 toshiba satellite laptop running *microsoft windows* media center had hdmi out, cable input, a remote control and a user upgradable hard drive which could be filled with what ever content i wanted to play back on my tv screen.

You infer that you consider what you complacently describe above as what, the standard? forward progress?

Yes, I consider it progress. Thank you.

Reactions: BMox81 and arw

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom

Not a console per se, but it can run Apple Arcade games yes.

Reactions: Audit13

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I have been asking for this ability ever since they came out with the 4th Gen and added storage back in. I would love to be able to sync movies to it like you can the iPad and iPhone so I can take it with me to our hunting cabin where we have no cell service/internet and watch movies using it. Instead I am stuck taking a Blu-Ray player and movies back and forth every year.

I've tried the lightning to HDMI adapter, with movies loaded on my iPad, but it always seems to have issues. It also is a pain to have to get up and grab the ipad to pause/rewind in the middle of the movie if we need to. Would be much nicer to just use an AppleTV and remote.
Your ATV and iPad support peer to peer. You don’t need a network. During travel, even with wifi/internet I don’t bother logging in.

• Wow
Reactions: UnknownIdaho

UnknownIdaho

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Idaho USA
Your ATV and iPad support peer to peer. You don’t need a network. During travel, even with wifi/internet I don’t bother logging in.

Apple’s abuse and misuse of WiFi and Bluetooth and NFC standards is awesome!

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Apple’s abuse and misuse of WiFi and Bluetooth and NFC standards is awesome!
Not sure what you’re referring to. This is a common means of connecting 2 devices with each other. Any camera with wifi employs the same P2P approach. If we took the time to dig into wifi enabled devices capabilities we'd likely surface thousands of examples of what Apple is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.